Gibson Brands Forums

Where did I go wrong

Mickthemiller

If it makes you feel any better.. I have a 2014 Martin D28 41 Authentic separating at the seams.. the Hyde glue is letting go.. its been in a warranty shop since June 20th 2015.. and there still having structural issues with it..

6000 dollar guitar with about five minutes of play time on it.

If it makes you feel any better.. I have a 2014 Martin D28 41 Authentic separating at the seams.. the Hyde glue is letting go.. its been in a warranty shop since June 20th 2015.. and there still having structural issues with it..

What do you mean by separating?

Such an expensive new guitar - it is all so much luck of the draw! Did it start falling apart for any reason, like heat, or just not enough glue? I would have wanted a replacement guitar before now!

BluesKing777.

Oh my! [crying] Sorry for your bad luck, mate.

What do you mean by separating?

Such an expensive new guitar - it is all so much luck of the draw! Did it start falling apart for any reason, like heat, or just not enough glue? I would have wanted a replacement guitar before now!

BluesKing777.

Me too.

Mick, those issues fall on the dealer once they agree to sell you the guitar, unless you specifically told them not to open and inspect it. As BBG stated - they are expected to do a thorough QC on an expensive guitar. I would think, even though some might feel Europe gets US rejects, that Gibson realizes we are in age of International Trade & Commerce, and they would demand their dealers provide them with feedback in terms of issues like the ones you've described. If the dealer balks, it might be a clue, as also mentioned previously by Hogeye- that they themselves messed with the nut. And, of course the nut is connected to the fretboard... did they do something to the nut that spilled over to the fretboard? Bottom Line - you bought the guitar from the dealer, not Gibson. G'Luck!

It's gone back now - no probs got refund without fuss. I have ordered a j15 which I wont mind so much about if it needs a tweek or two - I will no doubt lower the action my self and give the frets the once over. I have also impulse bought a Recording King RAJ 27 (corrected by me on 4 December) All solid rosewood back and sides nice sunburst 24.75" scale nitro finish - made me feel a bit better. If it don't suit I'll return it and wait for that j45 to come my way, maybe I'll do that anyway. Gotta get one one day just gotta

I bought a J45 a couple of days ago and it arrived today.It's a 2016 model and firstly I have to say it has a beautiful sunburst in a sort of tobacco finish. So why was I disappointed? Well the first thing I noticed was that the nut was not as wide a the neck, it had a space either side.Next I noticed the b string seemed out of line (a smaller space between the e and the b than there was between the b and the g). I moved it into a better position but I fear when playing it would slip back.Next the fret board. It looked like the finish had been sprayed on it and a poor attempt had been made to get it off. I have guitars costing 1/8 the price that have better finishes and attention to detail. This guitar was ....... I want to use a sh..... word but will refrain.I have saved for this guitar for some time and have recently been left some money by my mum who died aged 99 a few weeks ago. I had already had a special truss rod cover made inscribed with her name as a tribute. Boy was I hissed off. I am so so disappointed with Gibson.

I must add that I have had a few Epiphones and they have all been better made (finish wise) than this J45 - It is of course going back from whence it came.

Hey Yorkshire Mick.Sorry to hear about yor J-45 send it back! I think(hope) this is a one off guitar.

I played 16 J-45 in the summer and it was a KILLER. Hope you get sorted.

I have a 94 J45 VS that I can sit and pick insignificant (to me) 'flaws' from when ever I want....but I like the guitar too much to ever consider them as flaws, I like to think they give my Gibby a certain unique character, things like slight sanding indentations in the wood and on my Gibby the bridge is not covering the entire area they left unfinished (kinda looks like a shadow) to name a few, but it is the best sounding, playing, looking guitar I own or have ever owned and I am not a collector. However, I'm very happy I 'collected' this one a couple of years ago and it ain't going nowhere. I hope you get your dilemma worked out to your satisfaction, If you don't the Gibby you have has a mate somewhere on the plant and all you have to do is get it to them and I'm sure a deal you both can live with will be struck [biggrin]

When you buy a much less expensive guitar (Epi,Squier) and there are no quality control issues you might think that a top-end guitar would have an even MORE stringent check.It boggles the mind that shoddy workmanship is allowed in these plants!

I have a 94 J45 VS that I can sit and pick insignificant (to me) 'flaws' from when ever I want....but I like the guitar too much to ever consider them as flaws, I like to think they give my Gibby a certain unique character, things like slight sanding indentations in the wood and on my Gibby the bridge is not covering the entire area they left unfinished (kinda looks like a shadow) to name a few, but it is the best sounding, playing, looking guitar I own or have ever owned and I am not a collector. However, I'm very happy I 'collected' this one a couple of years ago and it ain't going nowhere. I hope you get your dilemma worked out to your satisfaction, If you don't the Gibby you have has a mate somewhere on the plant and all you have to do is get it to them and I'm sure a deal you both can live with will be struck [biggrin]

I think I said earlier that the things wrong with this guitar could have been quite easily fixed and maybe had I been in that frame of mind I would have done it. I have guitars with flaws that indeed make them special. But this was a Gibson J45, a dream guitar for me and it just felt like I could never feel attached to it. Some one will buy it and think it is their dream guitar no doubt. But not me

Congrats on the J15. I like the truss rod cover too. You guys are contagious with that truss rod cover thing. I might have to do that too.......BTW, keep your sights set on a J45. You can't have too many Gibsons.

Too true MP, I still haven't really scratched that particular itch. There is probably a J45 waiting for me somewhere and.................. If it's meant to be it will be. One of my mum's wise old sayings - she had a book full of 'em. Although she would say "another guitar!?"and give me one of her looks

I think I said earlier that the things wrong with this guitar could have been quite easily fixed and maybe had I been in that frame of mind I would have done it. I have guitars with flaws that indeed make them special. But this was a Gibson J45, a dream guitar for me and it just felt like I could never feel attached to it. Some one will buy it and think it is their dream guitar no doubt. But not me

Yeah I hear you, I wasn't trying to 'sell you' on your j45. I hope you get it all worked out to your total satisfaction. These guitars are rather pricey, too much so to be settling for one you don't want.

Hi I also live in the UK and have read this thread with interest . Firstly sorry for your loss and I totally understand your frustration with your purchase . As you ordered your guitar via mail order from a dealer , under the sale of goods act you would be due a refund or replacement if you wasn't satisfied with your purchase. I bought a J45 Standard in June this year from a great guitar store located in Southampton . I had no problems although Gibson acoustics are totally different from the perfectly finished mass produced norm . I found that each guitar plays sounds and looks slightly different to each other . One point, in my case was the warranty documents, this also had a check list with all the set up checks that had been signed by the person in the factory . My advice would be contact the store return the guitar obtain a refund , then visit your nearest Gibson dealer and choose the guitar you bond with from several . Even a weekend away to a good dealer is worth it . Have I had bad deals via mail order , yes , would I buy another without trying first , no .Good luck and you will find the perfect J45 for you

Archived