Gibson Brands Forums

P90'S

the dog

I have an SG with P90's (2013 50's Tribute)....When I play it through my Cat5 Tsunami (Marshall clone) it only sounds good on bridge pup....when I switch to neck its too muddy in my ears.......When I play it trough my DRRI it is like heaven....no hum and a very full tone with clarity.....

I really like the overdrive through the Tsunami...it is very responsive and a dirty tone but different from my humbucker guitar...very cool.....

So I was just wondering what others play their P90's through....

Fender amps, usually with treble on half + a bit, and bass and mid full up.

Love clean P90 tone.

Also have an old Park 100w MV and I just turn everything (except the MV) up full on that!

Usually a Fishman Loudbox Artist. My only P90 guitar is a hollowbody I mostly use for jazz.

Yes, it is an acoustic amp, but for jazz I need crystal clarity. In fact, even a tiny amount of distortion results in feedback. The Fishman has a feedback control feature but so far it hasnt helped.

This amp has a tweeter which can be dialed in variably. About 15% is perfect.

interesting.....I see that many like Fender including me....a couple of Mesa users.....A 120 watt Fishman Loudbox.....I'm looking some of these amps up because I'm not familiar with them....nice stuff.....

I'll use my Fishman acoustic amps (I have the Performer as well as the Mini) with my semi acoustic and hollow body jazz boxes and they sound great, but never with a solid body guitar.

An SG, a Les Paul, any Fender, or for that matter, any solid body with P90s, gotta go with the Fender amp, or at least one that can approximate its tonal qualities.

I have an SG with P90's (2013 50's Tribute)....When I play it through my Cat5 Tsunami (Marshall clone) it only sounds good on bridge pup....when I switch to neck its too muddy in my ears.......When I play it trough my DRRI it is like heaven....no hum and a very full tone with clarity.....

Might try and dial the amp to sound good with the neck pup, then dial back the tone control on the guitar for the bridge pup.

Also, might try lowering the neck pup. Often, it "looks" too low because it might end up all the way down, as the neck pup doesn;t have the space to go down the bridge pup has. As a result, often a lot of guitars don't ever get the neck pup "properly" adjusted.

Also, might try lowering the neck pup. Often, it "looks" too low because it might end up all the way down, as the neck pup doesn;t have the space to go down the bridge pup has. As a result, often a lot of guitars don't ever get the neck pup "properly" adjusted.

Giddyup! [thumbup] All the way down.

Might try and dial the amp to sound good with the neck pup, then dial back the tone control on the guitar for the bridge pup.

Yeah it was down low but I went a little further till I was losing volume then I brought it back up slowly and I am now getting a nice full sound.

thanks, I think I have it set at the right height now...

Giddyup! [thumbup] All the way down.

Yeah it was down low but I went a little further till I was losing volume then I brought it back up slowly and I am now getting a nice full sound.

thanks, I think I have it set at the right height now...

OK I've taken the neck P90 on my beautiful LP custom down now after reading this lot.

Will report back when I've given it (my guitars are sans-gender!) a good workout and reached satisfactory conclusion.

Archived