Gibson Brands Forums

What - if anything - did Ren have to do with the J-15?

Rev Roy

The model has been around for a couple of years now to almost universal praise. I sure love mine. I know Ferguson was long gone before It was officially released, But I also know it can take a number of years to design a new model and bring it to market. So does anyone know whether it was on the drawing board while Ferguson was still at the table?

The model has been around for a couple of years now to almost universal praise. I sure love mine! I know Ferguson was long gone before It was officially released, But I also know it can take a number of years to design a new model and bring it to market. So does anyone know whether it was on the drawing board while Ferguson was still at the table?

He probably sourced the Walnut. Walnut was a big component of the Jackson Browne model Ren had been working on for years - so I'd not be surprised if the J-15 idea was given birth near that same time.

Buzz-Kill , Nick!!!!

Sorry, I don't mean to imply anything negative about the guitar. It's just that once you have the basic design in hand, it carries over (as we know) to other variations on the theme. Ren was responsible for the updated bracing and other details of the "modern" J-45, and Bozeman has put out dozens of iterations of that form in an attempt to attract new buyers.

Obviously, someone (or group of someones) sits down and creates the specification for each variant, but they don't reinvent the wheel. The J-45, in one form or another, has been a bread and butter guitar for Gibson since 1942, even though it took an unfortunate mutant detour for a dozen years or so in the late 60's through the 1970's.

If anything, Ren brought it back closer to its roots, for which we should all be grateful.

The J-15 is another in a long line of Ren-inspired guitars derived from the J-45.

The model has been around for a couple of years now to almost universal praise. I sure love mine! I know Ferguson was long gone before It was officially released, But I also know it can take a number of years to design a new model and bring it to market. So does anyone know whether it was on the drawing board while Ferguson was still at the table?

Ren saw the guitar for the first time at a "Homecoming" several years ago. He was very critical of the guitar and the whole project. He had no part in the project. I won't go into detail on his criticism of the guitar as several here own it and think quite highly of the model.

Ren saw the guitar for the first time at a "Homecoming" several years ago. He was very critical of the guitar and the whole project. He had no part in the project. I won't go into detail on his criticism of the guitar as several here own it and think quite highly of the model.

I reckon we do need some details now! A new can of worms has been opened here and we are all grown ups and I'm sure we can take it.

Come on Hogeye don't leave us hanging....we J-15 owners can handle it [crying]

BigKahune

My guess: You don't get the price point that low without comprises.

the use of all USA grown tonewoods is the primary reason for the low cost.

My guess: You don't get the price point that low without comprises.

True. But my understanding is those cost-reducing "compromises" were mainly a natural result from tone wood selection (walnut b/s, fretboard and bridge) and the decision to cut down the bling (decal headstock logo rather than MOP, no burst, etc.).Other than that it's built pretty much to J-45 specs.

True. But my understanding is those cost-reducing "compromises" were mainly a natural result from tone wood selection (walnut b/s, fretboard and bridge) and the decision to cut down the bling (decal headstock logo rather than MOP, no burst, etc.).Other than that it's built pretty much to J-45 specs.

There actually isn't that much difference in wood costs, if you go on luthier supply websites and price out the wood in a guitar. When you go with a clear top finish, you have to be picky about what wood is used there, as well.

More money is probably saved in the finishing process than in the wood choice: no stains, dyes, or fillers necessary, as would be with mahogany back, sides, and neck, and no time-consuming sunburst process on the top.

It all adds up.

From interviews, it's apparent Ren at heart is a guitar builder. His goal is to make the best guitar out there according to everything he's learned over the past few decades. According to interviews, it's a big reason he and Gibson parted ways.

In order to produce some guitars you have to make decisions to save cost here and there. There are many things that Ren would care about that the average consumer would not in order to keep the cost down. So take it with a grain of salt. Those buying a J-15 get it because it's functional workhorse, not because it's the cadillac of guitar.

Interesting that Ren's first two Guild-Oxnard offerings, the all mahogany M-20 concert & D-20 dread, will be competing with the J-15 in a significantly active segment of the market.

First price I've seen on the Guilds is $1399.

Bingo again.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived