Gibson Brands Forums

A lot of truth in this song ~ me included

4Hayden

bullsh*t. he (the guy in the song) worked his *** off to make a good living for his family, and the boy rejected him for not playing catch often enough? the real truth is, we all have enough people trying to force guilt on us when we don't deserve it. they're emotional vampires. don't own guilt that doesn't belong to you. if you're a white middle aged heterosexual firmly ensconced in the middle class, that doesn't automatically make you satan, as the media, and the fringe of society would have you believe. entertainers are known for having screwy ideas. (ted nugent, anyone? sean penn?) don't own them for yourself.

that said, the guy DID have some cool songs. but that one isn't one of them, despite it's self flagellating popularity.

Harry Chapin had tons of great songs but most were too long for radio of the day. I think everyone should listen to albums like "Greatest Stories Live" and "Legends of the Lost and Found" to name a couple. I went to see him in Orlando years ago and he met people at the door when entering the hall, he was in the lobby during both intermissions, and was signing tee-shirts, concert tickets, and anything purchased there or brought in. He really connected with his audience! Another gone too soon.

You can always count on the cheap seats!

Great songwriter. Chapin had a real talent at touching human emotions. I think this particular song is one of his very best. He said in an interview that the song reflected his worry about being away from his young son while touring and if it made some people feel guilty that was his intention..........."Taxi" is another one that really shows a "slice of life." .........Wish he was still around.

Archived