Gibson Brands Forums

Landslide- J-15

Avery

Nice work there Avery. This is the first song I learned when I started fingerpicking and Im also trying to learn to sing this.

Are you deliberately staying uncapoed to suit your range more or just prefer the tone in this position ?

Your picking on this song very good btw.

Thanks for the listen guys.

EA, lack of a capo is a vocal range thing. I think Stevie and Lindsey do it with a capo on 3. I like to sing this one in standard tuning or even a half step down. Maybe I could do it with capo on 1, but the chorus would sound pretty bad, I think.

That's just me. I don't have a "big" voice. I think I'm a baritone and most male popular singers I listen to are tenors.

Thanks for listening and the comments, guys. It's very much appreciated.

FB, I was not too familiar with Iron and Wine before. Listened to him a bit today, and really enjoyed his songs. Might even want to try to learn some of his tunes as you recommend. I even caught myself enjoying the sound of his Taylor Acoustic. :o And I think Lindsey Buckingham is always playing a Taylor too. Interesting...

Would have to grow my beard out for another month to really look like the guy, but I do see the resembalnce. [biggrin]

Aero, if I can learn a little travis-picking, there's no reason why you can't. In my case I like to learn a song I like that has a lot of fingerpicking. I think I'd get bored quickly with just doing exercises. Once you learn a couple of these songs, it becomes really natural.

I will say, for a non-advanced guitar player like myself, it was very tedious and frustrating learning this one. You get the patterns down, learn which finger plays which strings, but can only do them slowly in the beginning. Forget about trying to synch them with a vocal. After you've played it over and over, then your fingers just know where to go, and you don't have to think. At that point I can sing.

Lots of great lessons on the tube. I happen to enjoy this guy's lessons. Not trying to promote or sell anything, just happen to find him to be a very good teacher. A lot of free lessons, he's got there, top left:

https://www.jerrysguitarbar.com/

Nice Avery ..now I am gonna have to check that song out. well done.

Thanks! Really appreciate it. A bunch of live versions on youtube. Lindsey does it a tiny bit differently each time. Love checking each of them out myself.

In another week I'll have the solo down a little better, but I kind of ran out of patience and wanted to post it. :rolleyes:

Avery, I'm a little late to the party, but that was excellent on all accounts, playing, singing and tone. I really like the "relaxed" atmosphere you bring to your songs. It is a soft style which I personally like and strive for in the things I try to do.

Lars

Avery, I'm a little late to the party, but that was excellent on all accounts, playing, singing and tone. I really like the "relaxed" atmosphere you bring to your songs. It is a soft style which I personally like and strive for in the things I try to do.

Lars

Hey, thanks man. I love folk-y kind of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love all genres, love a song with a big chorus, but this is the kind of stuff I can sing.

Archived