Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson wood source?

Zebra

Hi there, I've looked around but can't find anything on the subject, (at least not recently). I have a 2015 Les Paul LPM and was wondering dering where the mahogany or rosewood came from. Maybe this has been covered a thousand times and if so I'm sorry, but all I can find Info on is the raid.... Anyway, thanks!

Lol nice. I get the impression no one really knows anymore.

Well the Rosewood fretboards are from India...

They used to use "genuine" Mahogany (Mahogany from South America (Brazil I think)... They probably still get it there abouts... But I don't think its the "genuine" type... Ive also seen them use Sapele which they call Mahogany and it is more or less..

Who knows I guess they get it where ever they can these days.

when it comes to wood is very important to know the source location as it helps fight illegal wood extractions.

And how am I to "fight illegal wood extractions"?

rct

when it comes to wood is very important to know the source location as it helps fight illegal wood extractions.

That can be misleading.

Even wood from sources where they shouldn't be taken, could have been obtained legally. Such as compensated wood.

Wood could have come from stocks that where harvested legally, but now is not. Lots of that around.

Not to mention, laws differ from country to country, so what is "illegal" in one country is not in another.

And lastly, false accusations are more common that those actually obtaining wood illegally.

Think Gibson now uses the wood that won't get the FBI knocking on Henry's office door.

I don't think it was the FBI, it was the Department of Fish and Wildlife, or something like that.

I think it's important to get it right, as it wasn't actually Gibson that was ever found guilty, it was a branch of Government over-stepping their boundaries.

If we want to be concerned about anything, that's what we should be concerned about.

And as far as "activism", politics, and separating opinion vs reality, that's actually where the known facts lead to.

I wonder why Gibson doesn't use other wood species. Cedar,silver maple,ash etc,etc. or are they bound by tradition? Maybe they should give it a whirl.

Yes it is the tried and tested formula of mahogany with a maple top that is what a Les Paul is....

BUT they do do some other models sometimes made from other stuff

Ash

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Voodoo-2016.aspx

Walnut

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-Figured-Walnut.aspx

Natural Ash

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Swamp-Ash.aspx

Redwood

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Redwood.aspx

And one of my faves.. A Zebrawood top... (which would be appropriate to you given your user name :))

gi80218_zpsunfk8uhe.jpg

And yes.. I think the same... They should use some alternate woods rather than trying to fix things that arnt broke or adding technology.

And how am I to "fight illegal wood extractions"?

There are many ways in which you can contribute to the cause.

But if we leave chaining yourself to trees out, I'd say perhaps not buying that cheap patio furniture in teak?

You know, vote with your wallet.

Ask the store where it's from. Was the workers payed proper wages (fair trade), was the wood wild or grown? If it was grown, did they grow it eco friendly or use a lot of pesticides?

The more people that asks these types of questions will affect what the businesses buy. Simple as that.

Yes it is the tried and tested formula of mahogany with a maple top that is what a Les Paul is....

And yes.. I think the same... They should use some alternate woods rather than trying to fix things that arnt broke or adding technology.

Well, Gibson are proponents of the validity of 'tone woods' and have used mahogany (with & without maple caps) extensively.

So regardless of the truth of the matter (I dont know the truth so dont troll me!), they have shot themselves in the foot.

If they now were to say 'we cant get mahogany anymore, but dont worry because beech is just as good...' it wouldnt sit well with the Gibson Faithful. How could it?

Well, Gibson are proponents of the validity of 'tone woods' and have used mahogany (with & without maple caps) extensively.

So regardless of the truth of the matter (I dont know the truth so dont troll me!), they have shot themselves in the foot.

If they now were to say 'we cant get mahogany anymore, but dont worry because beech is just as good...' it wouldnt sit well with the Gibson Faithful. How could it?

Well if that day ever comes.. Im sure the Gibson marketing machine will come up with an appropriate enough BS reason and make it sound like the best thing ever :)

Its not that I think they should stop using Mahogany and Maple, I just think that to me, LPs with different woods, even if its just the tops, is far more interesting than any of the "innovations" they have come up with the last few years..

But hey that's just me :)

But if we leave chaining yourself to trees out, I'd say perhaps not buying that cheap patio furniture in teak?

k, I don't have any of that, I don't like patio furniture.

Ask the store where it's from. Was the workers payed proper wages (fair trade), was the wood wild or grown? If it was grown, did they grow it eco friendly or use a lot of pesticides?

Really? So Aaron at Guitar Center will what? Scratch his neck tat and what? Go find out about fair trade wages and how eco friendly this here Martin is? Is that what is going to happen?

The more people that asks these types of questions will affect what the businesses buy. Simple as that.

Ok. Well, good luck with that.

rct

not sure if I agree 100% with you on that... But I do think it's important to know where the wood is coming from. However, as someone who works at a store I know that we don't really get schooled on where the woods come from, or fairly the workers get paid. And even if I decided to investigate, I don't really have time for that, there are so many important duties when it comes to running stores that it falls pretty far down on my list of things

not sure if I agree 100% with you on that... But I do think it's important to know where the wood is coming from. However, as someone who works at a store I know that we don't really get schooled on where the woods come from, or fairly the workers get paid. And even if I decided to investigate, I don't really have time for that, there are so many important duties when it comes to running stores that it falls pretty far down on my list of things

Hi there, I've looked around but can't find anything on the subject, (at least not recently). I have a 2015 Les Paul LPM and was wondering dering where the mahogany or rosewood came from. Maybe this has been covered a thousand times and if so I'm sorry, but all I can find Info on is the raid.... Anyway, thanks!

Hello!

Gibson uses "genuine mahogany" (Swietenia Macrophylla) these days for bodies and necks on solid-bodied instruments. The term "genuine mahogany" only means it's harvested in Central and South America, opposed to new market entrants like Africa and Asia.

Rosewood (Dalbergia Latifolia) is from India, or Central America (Granadillo variant of rosewood).

Bence.

Archived