Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge Pin Choice

duluthdan

Been having pin breakage of the white bone pins in the J-45 Legend, and am going to replace them with either the Dark Tortise made from Galalith (on the bass strings here) or Ebony (treble strings). Which pres3ntation might you prefer? Both sets came from Stew Mac and they fit perfectly.

image_zpsz8ehvsvo.jpeg

image_zpseoc9rjt4.jpeg

A few years ago sitting next to Ren Ferguson at the Gibson Homecoming song-circle, and he played this guitar and commented that the originals came with white plastic pins.

And hey, anyone know what the heck "Galalith" is ?

I actually prefer a combo. The marbled heads are exotic and anchored fine by the dark ebony. Together they harmonize with the characteristic p-guard and add to the overall personality of the guitar.

I don't know what galalith is, however, I would choose the turtle ones that match your guard. Kinda reminds me of the other days of "cat-eye" marbles vs the solids.

Or in pool, the stripes or the solids.

From Wikipedia :

Galalith (Erinoid in the United Kingdom) is a synthetic plastic material manufactured by the interaction of casein and formaldehyde. Given a commercial name derived from the Greek words gala (milk) and lithos (stone), it is odourless, insoluble in water, biodegradable, antiallergenic, antistatic and virtually non-flammable.

Here's the link -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galalith

I actually prefer a combo. The marbled heads are exotic and anchored fine by the dark ebony. Together they harmonize with the characteristic p-guard and add to the overall personality of the guitar.

From Wikipedia :

Galalith (Erinoid in the United Kingdom) is a synthetic plastic material manufactured by the interaction of casein and formaldehyde. Given a commercial name derived from the Greek words gala (milk) and lithos (stone), it is odourless, insoluble in water, biodegradable, antiallergenic, antistatic and virtually non-flammable.

Here's the link -

Yep - Nauga!

The ebony provides a bit more visual contrast- not near as much pop as with the standard white, though.

In terms of hardness, the "genuine ebony" as Stew Mac calls it, falls somewhere between galalith and plastic pins. Think rosewood+. Galalith and Tusq, on the other hand, have a greater difference in hardness; dropping those two onto a glass or polished stone surface, the Tusq makes a brittle sound, as if it might break when dropped at a height of anything greater than 6-10 inches.

Ehhhh, could you please post the Wiki-link to Nauga !?

I live in Connecticut, not far from the town of Naugatuck, birthplace of the leather substitute Naugahyde, and where Naugas roam wild.

I live in Connecticut, not far from the town of Naugatuck, birthplace of the leather substitute Naugahyde, and where Naugas roam wild.

Aahh, I see - nauga-things are those you try your best to avoid and then, if an item slips through to your world, end up kind of loving, , , , because they weren't meant to be loved and therefor never expected or of course in any way demanded love. .

From Wikipedia :

Here's the link -

Interesting material...and if yo don't like em for bridge pins you can eat em and get something different...If you don't mind the formaldehyde.

Aahh, I see - nauga-things are those you try your best to avoid and then, if an item slips through to your world, end up kind of loving, , , , because they weren't meant to be loved and therefor never expected or of course in any way demanded love. .

Does that mean they never have to say they're sorry?

Does that mean they never have to say they're sorry?

Whooa, , , now we get deep, , , kinda like the bass-projection of a big fat old SJ-200.

But I tend to mean yes.

In an otherly - some would say weird - but let's just call it indirect way they set us free, which put them in a position beside even beyond* things like promise/disappointment = apologizing.

Also they never brag or show of. A few of them though, fall in the trap where they begin to believe they are more than they are. Still the love for them remains, , , because we instantly see through it, , , and recognize that weakness in ourselves. We let them stay in the illusion and go with it, , , weight- and costless as it is. In that process they actually grow, , , not sure about us. .

*notice I don't say above

Whooa, , , now we get deep, , , kinda like the bass-projection of a big fat old SJ-200.

But I tend to mean yes.

In an otherly - some would say weird - but let's just call it indirect way they set us free, which put them in a position beside even beyond* things like promise/disappointment = apologizing.

Also they never brag or show of. A few of them though, fall in the trap where they begin to believe they are more than they are. Still the love for them remains, , , because we instantly see through it, , , and recognize that weakness in ourselves. We let them stay in the illusion and go with it, , , weight- and costless as it is. In that process they actually grow, , , not sure about us. .

*notice I don't say above

And yet - we use their hides to cover our instrument cases.... You always hurt the one you love?

And yet - we use their hides to cover our instrument cases.... You always hurt the one you love?

No one is hurt there - in fact the opposite. The cases are a very fine example of the positive relationship.

And I'm now about to go to sleep (in my Cali-case), so goodnite, Sir - and thank you.

Back to Duluth's pins. .

It is indeed a tough choice. No clear answer here.

Both seem slightly out of place (because of the white dots), but yet, both blend in and don't stand out. The black does indeed go perfectly with the humble origins of a plain guitar, J-45ness all along the way, while the other also achieves the same thing because it matches perfectly, but is different enough to those of us so used to seeing black or white.

It's so close, SO close, might have to judge sound.

Held off mulling it over... The impact of sound, of course would be the first consideration. But, assuming you've done due diligence and there's no discernible difference - I believe what I would do - if I were me - is alternate them. Use three from each set, every other string. The darks and lights in the sunburst and the tigerstripe seem to call for that blend to be carried through.

I would have picked bone though, if that had been a choice. Not sure why yours are breaking. I'm fortunate to have never had that problem. G'Luck !

Black on a J-45 is definitely the traditional aesthetic, and it took a long time for me to admit that fossil ivory brought out a far better tone in the '55 that I've owned since 1971. Still cringe a bit when I forget about having changed the black pins and pull the guitar out of its case, but the SOUND!

Going strictly by looks I like the black ebony but I have galalith pins on two of my guitars because I like the tone better. There is a heft to galalith, mass maybe, that makes it different from run of the mill plastic pins and most wooden pins. Aren't naugas related to surimi that are "from the ocean"?

Archived