Gibson Brands Forums

Tragic food for thought when legends die.

splake

Guest Farnsbarns

There seems to be a situation regarding painkillers...probably existed for decades...

Percocet looks like another of the many fairly easily obtained paracetamol/codeine blends

No prescription or registration required...some peoples' way to keep going when feeling 'under the weather'

Add in some viral infection, exhaustion and desire to party and perform

And an over-dose can occur by accident/carelessness etc

Some folks in their late 50's might still be imagining they are in their 20's.... :blink:

A sad loss of a vital and energetic talent.... [thumbup]

Awaiting the toxology report in a few weeks time....

V

:-({|=

Wow. The Dead South have officially got a new fan. Brilliant. Thanks for posting. See, there is great music and great musicians out there still.

I guess a part of the point I was trying to make, for example,,, Sure the beatles replaced someone, and Prince took the reins from someone etc etc. But the point is the beatles were there, the stones were there playing gigs working on their craft ( ripping off the black American scene) Frye was there with Henley living upstairs from Jackson Browne, Grinding. Sure there are some bands, yeah I get that. But legends? Maybe it is just all too subjective. Most of the Sh*T out there is over dubbed crap. Jack White, Yeah I love Jack White. But a legend dude? I asked by 22 year old nephew to name the beatles and he cant name one. Showing my age? sure. but Christ, the **** out there they are callin Music. I stand by the original post. No way to replace a legend. Prince is gone, Bowie is gone. Ok some one take the reigns, step up and blow me away with a new album, and then another and another. Motivate the masses.

I am waiting.

I guess a part of the point I was trying to make, for example,,, Sure the beatles replaced someone, and Prince took the reins from someone etc etc. But the point is the beatles were there, the stones were there playing gigs working on their craft ( ripping off the black American scene) Frye was there with Henley living upstairs from Jackson Browne, Grinding. Sure there are some bands, yeah I get that. But legends? Maybe it is just all too subjective. Most of the Sh*T out there is over dubbed crap. Jack White, Yeah I love Jack White. But a legend dude? I asked by 22 year old nephew to name the beatles and he cant name one. Showing my age? sure. but Christ, the **** out there they are callin Music. I stand by the original post. No way to replace a legend. Prince is gone, Bowie is gone. Ok some one take the reigns, step up and blow me away with a new album, and then another and another. Motivate the masses.

I am waiting.

Well, they aren't making records to blow you away, they have someone else in mind.

rct

Ok some one take the reigns, step up and blow me away with a new album, and then another and another. Motivate the masses.

Maybe your standards are too high...seriously. I told a coworker that I bought Black Sabbath Vol. 4. He was confused that I bough the album and not just the songs I liked. My reasoning was that if I purchased only the songs I liked, it would have cost more than buying the entire album. But, I think I am fooling myself. The trend is to buy songs, not albums.

I just want someone to write a single song that will blow me away...I can't find it so, I write my own music. I suggest you do the same...write the music you want to be hear and you will be blown away. You might even inspire others.

Yeah I love Jack White. But a legend dude?

Ya man! Do you think Bowie was a legend when he released Ziggy?

No, back then he was just a freak who may or may not have sucked a d!ck. I remember people despising Bowie back in the day. My first Bowie album was Diamond Dogs. Back then you either loved it or hated it. There was no middle road.

Yes, in time, give it a couple or three decades, Jack White will become legend. Take for example Lazaretto.

If vinyl makes the comeback people think it will, that pressing alone will be a thing of legend for what he did

for that record on vinyl. Let alone the music. Which is also stellar. My opinion yes, but,,,.

Nobody can predict a legend. They just happen. Your legends have nothing to do with my kids kids legends.

They will have their own. And will love them as much as you love yours.

Lennon often said, that he felt, The Beatles best music was never recorded. It was what they were doing

in Hamburg, in the strip clubs, and (later) dance halls! While I don't necessarily agree, with

that, I DO understand what he meant. And, I find myself liking the more "raw" (real) music, of

talented folks, before they "make it big," as often as after. Sometimes, more. There will always

be great, and talented musicians, artists, performers. Some may never "make it," but still continue

to do great work, because they LOVE what they do, first and foremost. And, sometimes, that's enough. [thumbup]

CB

Interesting reading through the comments. I agree with so many written. Music has existed since who knows when. When they brought the covenant of the ark in the city of Jerusalem, King David and the entire city were dancing and singing and playing all kinds of instruments. It will continue until the end of time. Legends? There have been too many to count in all professions of life, and life continues as usual. We just came back from Branson and went to the Legends show there. It was incredible to see the talent of young people taking on the roles of great musicians that have passed on. They had a projector showing the real Michael Jackson on the side in concert, while a young performer danced and sang imitating his every move. Even their voices sounded very very close and you couldn't hardly tell the difference. You could tell the real Michael was a bit more smooth in his moves and the actors had to wear wigs and make up to pull it off, but on stage in front of an audience it worked. Johnny Cash was there although a bit shorter then the real one but the guy had him down to a T. Tina Turner came out, although a lot more sexy looking and a better body except that the real Tina had more developed legs. You guys would have loved having her in your bands, she had a great voice. The Blues Brothers. I'm not a real big fan of Elvis although I have all his movies and most of the Elvis look alikes I've seen are a joke. This guy was a dead ringer and had him down. We've seen Cher in the past and Rod Stewart was to appear. We thought, nobody can get Rod's voice down, it's one of a kind, but this guy came out and looked so close to the real Rod and had his raspy voice down also. Unbelievable! When we die, our soul cannot be replaced and the Legends will be Hall of Fame, but I believe our jobs and what we did can be replaced that time can go on. New generations will have their own style of music. The 40's and 50's music is dying out, that the 60's and 70's could usher in and it will eventually go out that the modern kids pop stuff can take over. The wife and I are already seeing it at the Memorial concert that they do here each year. The Baby Boomers are getting old. Wood Stock is the thing of the past.

It's an interesting topic, that's for sure. I'm well aware that most generations have said "the young upstarts are crap compared to 'our' stuff". BUT: I think a lot of those statements come from people who haven't checked out any new music in decades.

I don't wanna toot my own horn, but even in middle age-ish I actively keep my ear to the ground. Not as much as in my 20s, perhaps, but for fear of missing out on something great, I make that extra effort.

What bothers me is, COMPARATIVELY, and in my own highly subjective, humble opinion - I don't see that many future legends. I see a few (e.g., Watain in black metal, for instance), but not many.

You could argue it's because it's a fast-food climate, but that has also enabled most people with guitar and a computer to make their own music. I think it's fair to say more people are writingw e swand recording their own music than ever had before. That should kind of negate the admittedly true fast-food thingy. Shouldn't it?

Just my take on it.

I'm OLD, so my take on this is from that perspective. One thing I've noticed, opposed to my

generation of musicians/artists, etc. is that the current audience/buyer of music, especially,

has a very short attention span. Much like the "Idol" worshipers in Japan, where their

"Idols=Pop Stars" changed very rapidly. We were (at first) perplexed and amused, by this

phenomenon. But, suddenly, it seems very much the same way, here! Our "Idols=Pop Stars"

are now often manufactured, or "discovered" via American Idol, or other such TV shows.

Much like that, in Japan. Recording contracts, are gifted or sold, as a reward. Some of

the "winners," don't have the staying power, or even the interest in "staying power," so

they fade away, rather quickly. Often, at about the same rate, as their fan's attention

spans. As has been mentioned, technology now allows anyone to record, with full (canned)

backing tracks, via the Internet, or their own computers. So, it's become quite easy, to

become a "recording artist," whether or not you have any real talent, for that.

There ARE (always) "exceptions," of course! And, those exceptions (as always) are the one's

that really make it, and last, for any real length of time. So, in that sense, nothing much

except the technology, and way of becoming "famous," has changed much. The "instantaneous

gratification" types, will/Do simply get bored, and move on, to something else.

There's another thing, that past true "legends" had, that too many nowadays don't! True mystery,

and "Mystique!" Elvis, The Beatles, Dylan, Hendrix, Clapton, Prince, etc. all had their share.

"I" don't see that, that often, in today's "Stars." In fact, I'd like to see a LOT less, of

some of their (constant) "in your face" behavior. Kanye West comes to mind! But, of course,

I don't claim to know, or care, all that much, about every new "flash in the pan," either.

Our musical hero's, tend to be those of our youth, no matter the generation. So...???

CB

Charlie:

Interesting take on the mystique factor. I think you're definitely onto something here. And I think, if I may, that the old guard had that mystique factor because, at that point in time, you couldn't just dabble - you were either a make-it-or-break-it-or-die musician, or you did the 9-5.

No *****-footers. No in-between.

Charlie:

Interesting take on the mystique factor. I think you're definitely onto something here. And I think, if I may, that the old guard had that mystique factor because, at that point in time, you couldn't just dabble - you were either a make-it-or-break-it-or-die musician, or you did the 9-5.

No *****-footers. No in-between.

Absolutely! Not that there weren't the "flash in the pan" one hit wonders. But, those artists/acts that lasted,

had both time, the real dedication, and awesome talent, needed to develop that "Mystique," as well

as their niche, and often changing (forward) momentum. Their fans went along, for the ride, as well...

often for decades! So...??? [tongue][biggrin]

CB

V, Sparq:

Good points. I'll be all my wooden nickels that the cause of death was respiratory depression due to a mixture of opioids and bensodiazepines. From what I've read - and I stress the word "read"; I didn't know the guy - he allegedly had a really bad pill problem.

To put it caustically short, my guess is "Oxy+Xanax". Look at Wayne Static. Look at Weiland.

I'm not saying no one should ever be prescribed meds for anxiety or pain. But because the US is so independent in so many aspects (which I admire to the point of adoration, don't get me wrong), my guess is it's hard to check if a patient has a scrip for downers when he gets prescribed pain meds, or vice versa, from another doctor. And if he's a rock star, well, hey - worked for Al Jourgensen and Keef.

Problem being, those are the only two people on the PLANET who've been on everything at once and are still alive. That's two out of SIX BILLION people. Do the math.

To summarize: I've... no idea. Be careful?

Archived