Gibson Brands Forums

Not a Good NGD

Man….this sucks. I just got my new Gibson Firebird 2016 T yesterday and when I was tuning up the D string the knurl tuning knob from the back of the headstock fell off. WTF?? I heard a snap, but I see no signs of anything breaking off. The guitar is only two days old and I've been waiting for about month since it was backordered. I don't want to send it back because sweetwater does not have any to replace it with. I hope it was just a loose allen screw…but what is the size, not sure if its in Metric or US sizing. Anyone else had this issue?

2dr9chg.jpg

2wcpvnn.jpg

f4dwcn.jpg

I'd help you if I could but I am Firebird-less at the moment.

For the knurled adjuster, it looks like it's threaded for a set screw, correct? If so, a local hardware store should be able to hook you up for around 17 cents (tax included) if you bring the knob in.

My guess would be standard, not Metric.

I'd help you if I could but I am Firebird-less at the moment.

For the knurled adjuster, it looks like it's threaded for a set screw, correct? If so, a local hardware store should be able to hook you up for around 17 cents (tax included) if you bring the knob in.

My guess would be standard, not Metric.

Yes, the knurled knob has two set allen screws. I'm on my way to the hardware store right now, but I hope it was just a loose set screw. The snapping noise is what worries me though.

It's more likely Gibson's hit & miss QA or the seller did not inspect it before they shipped it out. I have the exact same guitar so I'm going to run to the studio & whip it out and check those set screws now. Glad you were able to get it fixed quickly & inexpensively. Jeez that sucked.

You guys are funny! Glad you got it fixed. I was just going to say, I have a Allen wrench set on hand for anything. Gosh, I got it back in the days I drag raced and don't know if they sell them anymore, but it's every size in one tool. Wish I could post photos, I'd post one, but it resembles a multi blade knife like a Swiss. You can pull out any size you need to use, but they all stay attached to the handle. Which works while tighting or loosing the screw. Anyway, if you can find one, they sure come in handy for lots of things. Chairs, bathroom appliances, some furniture, cars, ect. And your not running for the hardware store seeking a certain unknown size.

It's more likely Gibson's hit & miss QA

Really? They still have QA?

Cool.

I thought that department was let go....

Oh that's right. Those are the guys that used to mark factory seconds who now just send them all out the

door to be fixed(or not) by the vendor.

I'm glad Henry put a stop to those horrible seconds they were selling at a reasonable price.

I could never live with a cosmetic blemish marring up my tone like that.

Awful stuff.

Ok,, who gave quapman that wine. It turns him into a sarcastic bastard.

Please don't encourage him.

It's more likely Gibson's hit & miss QA or the seller did not inspect it before they shipped it out. I have the exact same guitar so I'm going to run to the studio & whip it out and check those set screws now. Glad you were able to get it fixed quickly & inexpensively. Jeez that sucked.

I purchased it from sweet water. They were suppose to do the 55 points inspection before shipping it out to me, but I guess they did the 54 inspection instead. Other than the Steinberger tuner knob falling off, the new Firebird was setup the way I liked it out of the box.

Blues,

I'm glad you got her fixed. beautiful guitar. but I hate to bring it up, I'm a little concerned about that serial number. all those x's don't look right to me. I think a closer inspection is in order. (for the sake of science)

You guys are funny! Glad you got it fixed. I was just going to say, I have a Allen wrench set on hand for anything. Gosh, I got it back in the days I drag raced and don't know if they sell them anymore, but it's every size in one tool. Wish I could post photos, I'd post one, but it resembles a multi blade knife like a Swiss. You can pull out any size you need to use, but they all stay attached to the handle. Which works while tighting or loosing the screw. Anyway, if you can find one, they sure come in handy for lots of things. Chairs, bathroom appliances, some furniture, cars, ect. And your not running for the hardware store seeking a certain unknown size.

These days, you need more than one, the Standard AND the metric.

One thing about Allen screws, they aren't as forgiving when the size is a little off.

I don't like change, especially when it's for no reason. I don't like the fact I have to have twice as many tools like that, and I sure don't like having to have all these Allen wrenches, because it's a LOT of them to the point it even gets confusing.

Rant over. For now.

Blues,

I'm glad you got her fixed. beautiful guitar. but I hate to bring it up, I'm a little concerned about that serial number. all those x's don't look right to me. I think a closer inspection is in order. (for the sake of science)

Bwahhahahahha LOL [biggrin] [biggrin] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Great to see you BG65! How have you been?!

Hey Dubs!!!! Likewise, buddy [thumbup] [thumbup] Lots of stuff been going on with me, but everything is fine now. Great to see many old regulars here and new faces. I miss all those cool pedals you've been making. Great to see you Dubs [thumbup] [thumbup]

Hey Dubs!!!! Likewise, buddy [thumbup] [thumbup] Lots of stuff been going on with me, but everything is fine now. Great to see many old regulars here and new faces. I miss all those cool pedals you've been making. Great to see you Dubs [thumbup] [thumbup]

I'm still cranking them out lol have you built anything lately?

Congrats on the Firebird btw. I had to pinch myself when I saw the 2016 Firebird price. It's a great price for such a nice guitar!

I'm still cranking them out lol have you built anything lately?

Congrats on the Firebird btw. I had to pinch myself when I saw the 2016 Firebird price. It's a great price for such a nice guitar!

That's Great!! The last time I was here, you were making a couple of delay pedals. Nah….the last build I did was that tone bender. Yea, I had to jump on that firebird. It really has a very distinct tone that separates it from rest.

Well, she is all good as new again. The allen screws got loose, but I wonder how? FYI for those wondering, the allen screw was metric size 1.5.

So its now a Good NGD. [thumbup]

2r4j2te.jpg

2ntif40.jpg

2i97eyq.jpg

ohs6zm.jpg

Glad you got it fixed. [thumbup] Congrats on your nice catch! [wub]

I've had my share of trouble with stock tuners, Grovers as well as Far-Eastern slotted Fenders.

Anyway, headless screws are a story of their own. I always had to take some care of them on brand-new Teles. Same time I mounted them with the screw holes facing straight to the bass side with the pots cranked up for checking position at a glance.

Archived