Gibson Brands Forums

Triad

j45nick

This is a David Crosby solo acoustic studio take from 1969, and shows the sheer power of that Martin 12-string in the right hands. I suspect it's the converted D-18 that had a 12-fret neck with an adjustable truss rod installed in the late 1960's. If so, that also would have meant shifting the bridge further towards the tail, which would have changed the tonal balance of the guitar quite a bit.

Put on the headphones and crank up the volume. Tune out the words if the subject of the song bothers you, but this was the 1960's.

Croz maybe at the peak of his vocal power, even as his life was spiraling out of control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aK2e9PjH3o

This is a David Crosby solo acoustic studio take from 1969, and shows the sheer power of that Martin 12-string in the right hands. Put on the headphones and crank up the volume. Tune out the words if the subject of the song bothers you, but this was the 1960's.

Croz maybe at the peak of his vocal power, even as his life was spiraling out of control:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aK2e9PjH3o

Right about that 12-string & Crosby's voice! Can't see any need to apologize for the 1960's except for national issues which we used to think were finally settled. We were young and didn't realize that someone's always lurking in the dark and planning to do us harm. I didn't see it coming until 1976 - thought maybe it was just paranoia. Lol

Funny you should mention the lyrics , teach your children well was on the radio the other day and I've tried and tried to like CS&N but lyrically they're very twee at times and it just doesn't click with me.

My god they can play and the harmonies are heaven sent ....

Funny you should mention the lyrics , teach your children well was on the radio the other day and I've tried and tried to like CS&N but lyrically they're very twee at times and it just doesn't click with me.

My god they can play and the harmonies are heaven sent ....

Maybe you just had to be there for the lyrics to work - at least the music keeps working.

Maybe you just had to be there for the lyrics to work - at least the music keeps working.

I think that says it.

Dejavu was the very first album I bought. It's a rush of nostalgia every time I hear songs from that album.

I think the same could be easily said for about (At least) 50% of the Beatles songs... but look what happened there...

You mean "...yeah, yeah, yeah, YEAH..."? 💩, but good 💩!!

Hadn't heard this song for at least a couple decades (don't say "years" very often anymore...lol). However, the subject matter has often been on my mind [thumbup], even though the song wasn't. Ahhh, one of the fine things that dreams are made of.....

I've always thought that any of these guys is/was more than capable of being very successful on their own (and they are). Each is a magnificent songwriter and very good guitarist. To me, Crosby's voice doesn't necessarily seem stronger on this. This is how I remember hearing him years ago and I still hear his voice that way. I understand the point of how his voice declined as his vices overwhelmed him, but after so many years I/we know his voice as soon as the vocals begin, while the sound of the guitar in the intro gives me a good idea of who the singer is. Kind of like a Cash song: you've got a pretty good idea of who the artist is by the intro. I've always admired Crosby's guitar skills and you know it's him by the intro most times.. He pulls the best out of his technique........Thanks for bringing back some memories. [thumbup]

That's the song that got Crosby kicked out The Byrds. He wanted that on Notorious Byrd Brothers - they went with Goin'Back and he bolted. Check out The Byrds version - sublime 👍🏻

To me, Crosby's voice doesn't necessarily seem stronger on this. This is how I remember hearing him years ago and I still hear his voice that way. I've always admired Crosby's guitar skills and you know it's him by the intro most times.. He pulls the best out of his technique........Thanks for bringing back some memories. [thumbup]

His voice is still remarkably strong today. Cleaning up his act a number of years ago may have helped on that. "Vocal synergy" is the term that comes to mind when he and Graham Nash sing together. We may or may not ever hear that live again, but the huge volume of recorded work and concert video is an absolute blessing.

I saw him about a year ago. He still puts on a great one-man show. He rarely sings loudly--he doesn't need to--and the sound that comes out still seems to do so without real effort.

A highly daring song - guess it still is. And does that Martin sound good. Think it must be the one he scalloped with a piece of broken glass.

Have to say I prefer the 4-Way Street version. It's a bit more nuanced, , , as if he knows it better at that point.

Remember when discovering the tune as a 15 year old kid. The words were alternative, yes, , , but the melody , , , , was almost impossible to open.

Was the last one to sink in from that double-LP, yet it melted bit by bit and eventually happened.

Regarding the recording above. Isn't it taken in 2 parts, guitar first then vox. The balance in the cans tells me so - only vocal in 1 side.

. . . . . . . . . .

bbg 🙏 - you'll get away with not receiving CSN and Teach Your Children in this round. Don't have the power to argue or preach tonite.

Next time it's on your radio, just listen to Garcia's p-steel and chill out. Liquid gold right there. .

A highly daring song - guess it still is. And does that Martin sound good. Think it must be the one he scalloped with a piece of broken glass.

Have to say I prefer the 4-Way Street version. It's a bit more nuanced, , , as if he knows it better at that point.

Remember when discovering the tune as a 15 year old kid. The words were alternative, yes, , , but the melody , , , , was almost impossible to open.

Was the last one to sink in from that double-LP, yet it melted bit by bit and eventually happened.

Regarding the recording above. Isn't it taken in 2 parts, guitar first then vox. The balance in the cans tells me so - only vocal in 1 side.

. . . . . . . . . .

bbg 🙏 - you'll get away with not receiving CSN and Teach Your Children in this round. Don't have the power to argue or preach tonite.

Next time it's on your radio, just listen to Garcia's p-steel and chill out. Liquid gold right there. .

Ah I did praise their playing and harmonies , and anyone of the three of them knew how to work a melody out.

I've a copy of four way st

Just WISH the lyrics would hit me

I've a copy of four way st

Just WISH the lyrics would hit me

Yea yea, different strokes etc. . .

If you have 4-Way maybe Neil's Don't let it Bring You Down or On The Way Home, , , or Crosby's The Lee Shore will rock you boat. .

Another quite interesting thing is that I as an English-second-language-person isn't really able to judge the finer facets of any English lyric.

It's my basic sometimes frustrating terms.

Hep

I've had years of people saying 'bob Dylan !? Sure he can't sing'

So I know it makes no difference what I think or don't think of CSN. Was just hinting at my disappointment at myself for not being able to let them in. Rather than pooing anyone who does like them

I've had years of people saying 'bob Dylan !? Sure he can't sing'

So I know it makes no difference what I think or don't think of CSN. Was just hinting at my disappointment at myself for not being able to let them in. Rather than pooing anyone who does like them

Nobody's lookin' for a arg-you-mint! It's just that ya hadda BE there😎

Hmm. That's patronising.

Em7 wasn't there , he gets it

I wish I hadn't opened me mouth now

Then we'd never have had this discussion... :)

it's probably worth noting that when these songs were penned, and probably recorded, probably safe to assume that at least some of those times, these guys were tripping their brains out, so anything probably sounded fantastic!

Archived