Gibson Brands Forums

Tubed combo amps?

callen3615

I NEED a tubed combo amp. I need it for jam sessions with friends, no gigs, a 112 should do it. My price range is somewhere around 700. I have been looking at the peavey valve king but I dont know if thats what I need. It needs to be high gain, aka not a fender blues jr. I have a cheap line 6 practice amp but I dont think it sounds good, or loud enough. Oh, I dont know jack about tubed amps so any advice will probably help. Any suggestions?

I'm a fan of used gear, you get a lot more for a lot less. And you're right about steering away from Line6...

I have a Fender Super 60 (112, 60w) that has good distortion, it's loud enough as long as the bass player isn't cranking his Ampeg stack. I know it's a 212, but I also have a Twin that's a beast.

I've heard good things about Ampeg tube combos also. Of course Marshalls are great but its a needle in a haystack to find an used all-tube one for under $700 (they exist, tho).

This may sound insane, but I've known guys who collect tube amps that bought most of em on Ebay. They actually don't have horror stories. Another guy I know taught himself to read schematics and solder (neither is hard to do), then bought nonworking tube amps on Ebay to repair & sell on Craigslist for a killing. You can make $700 go a loooooong way doing that...

Go to a mom and pop shop and try as many combo amps as you can. Bring "your" guitar.

The reason I say mom and pop shops is that a lot of them have good sounding, quality, used gear. I got my tube amp from one of these shops. I trusted the owner when he told me that the amp kicked *** and that I should try it out. I'm glas I did. I walked out of there with a Fender Two-tone amp. It's essentially a Blues Jr. in a larger cabinet with a 10 and 12 in it. I love it and am glad I found it.

I use Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 combo.

I never had any other all tube amps so I can't

compare, but it works well for a guy like myself

who only plays for a self-amusement in a room.

It has 3 channels, 1 clean and 2 gains.

The clean channel has its own gain knob as well.

My favorite is the clean channel with its gain

all the way up. I'm not a recording artist or anything,

so the sound from this amp is good enough for me.

And yes, this amp can dish out all the Metallica sound

you want IMHO.

The earlier production model of this amp has an

issue with a over-heated circuit board. Mine is

one of the earlier one, and I installed a fan in it.

I bought mine off eBay for about $550 a couple

of years ago. Fixing the issue mentioned above,

shoddy foot switch, and reverb pan costed me

another $220...

I haven't shopped for a high gain amp in quite a few years so I really don't know what's out there right now besides Mesa and Marshall which are probably going to be out of your price range. I have yet to hear any Fender amp that does high gain, or at least does it well.

If it were me, I look for a used Peavey 6505 212 combo; it has two speakers instead of one (which means it's going to weigh a lot) but the 6505 series are killer high gain amps that were originally called the 5150 when Eddie Van Halen was endorsing them. There's a new one on Ebay right now for $850 (Google shopping shows an average new price of just under $1200) so you can probably find a used one somewhere in your price range if you're patient.

The Fender Supersonic can... try that one' date=' it is a little more expensive tho... but it is great.[/quote']

That might be the one Fender that does it.

If TG, a fellow metal guy, gives it a stamp of approval, I'm sure it's a good one.

I NEED a tubed combo amp. I need it for jam sessions with friends' date=' no gigs, a 112 should do it. My price range is somewhere around 700. I have been looking at the peavey valve king but I dont know if thats what I need. It needs to be high gain, aka not a fender blues jr. I have a cheap line 6 practice amp but I dont think it sounds good, or loud enough. Oh, I dont know jack about tubed amps so any advice will probably help. Any suggestions? [/quote']

i had a valveking 112...i thought it was crap. try this:

gibson009.jpg

Ive never tried plugging my guitar into another guitar....ill try it. Does it have to be a gibson ? I have an epi les paul' date=' maybe they will sound different. [/quote']

Don't be a smart ***. Fenn knows his stuff. Why ask for opinions if you are going to act like a ****.

And the Tech 21 is a great amp. A lot of guys love them on this forum.

Ive never tried plugging my guitar into another guitar....ill try it. Does it have to be a gibson ? I have an epi les paul' date=' maybe they will sound different. [/quote']

was that really necessary?

how about you play hide and go **** yourself

Archived