Gibson Brands Forums

My current faves

jannusguy2

While I still have my 1951 J45 and my SJ200TV, my recent focus has been on short scale 000/OM guitars. My little collection is complete now with these:

L-R- Martin Alpine/Cocobolo; Santa Cruz Stika/EIR; Collings Englemann/Hog; Martin Sitka/Hog. Perfect guitar size for a geezer whiling away a couple of hours on the couch. Happy Holidaze to one and all. I hope 2018 is a great year for everyone. Best wishes, Rob

IMG_1104_zpstuwuj89q.jpg

Beautiful guitars, especially that burst Martin on the right.

I love OM/000 size guitars. I once owned a Martin OM18V which was possibly the best sounding guitar I’ve ever given a home to, but I just couldn’t bond with the gigantic V neck. Traded it for a Hummingbird back in ‘08, but I’ve always wanted another one, just with the standard 1 11/16” neck. But would the standard neck sound the same...? Who knows.

Anyway, I digress...happy holidays and enjoy those beauties in the best of health!

Beautiful guitars, especially that burst Martin on the right.

I love OM/000 size guitars. I once owned a Martin OM18V which was possibly the best sounding guitar I’ve ever given a home to, but I just couldn’t bond with the gigantic V neck. Traded it for a Hummingbird back in ‘08, but I’ve always wanted another one, just with the standard 1 11/16” neck. But would the standard neck sound the same...? Who knows.

Anyway, I digress...happy holidays and enjoy those beauties in the best of health!

Thanks for the kind words! It's amazing how different "V" necks differ between builders. All these are 1 3/4" nut width, SS. The 2 Martins are "Low oval/PA taper" neck shape. I sold two other Martin OMs I had with Mod V necks as they just didn't work for me specifically because of the neck shape. However, the Collings and SCGC Mod V necks are much more subtle than Martin's and are very comfortable. Go figure.

My favorite Martin neck carve is that found on the 1945 to early 1947 D-18s and D-28s. I also really like the slim taper bracing they were using at this time. I am, however, not willing to fork over what it would cost me to snag even the D-18.

Funny but I do not really have any Gibsons in my sights at the moment. Maybe down the road but I am on a totally different kick. I have been keeping a eye out for a 1940s Harmony H-162 with the figure 8 body or a 1970s Opus which was an incredibly well-built, X braced line of guitars Harmony came up with in a last ditch effort to save the company. It did not work because they could not shake their "cheap guitar" image and nobody was apparently willing to pay what Harmony wanted for these models.

Funny but I do not really have any Gibsons in my sights at the moment.

Me either. As has been evidenced by the pictures in the time I've spent hanging around here, I've cycled through quite a few of Bozeman's gems. Loved almost all of them but the '51 J45 and the SJ200TV are the two that stuck. Most everything else I see coming out these days are different versions of the same guitars. You could say the same thing about the 000/OMs but they're working for me these days.

I've been mostly into Guilds since 2015 - kinda reliving my '70s lust for them when, by far, they were the best guitars my money could buy. It's brought me a renewed appreciation for how good so many of them sound, including the smaller F-30 size bodies.

But along the way, I did sneak in a very nice little OOO-16 Martin made in 2000, with striped ebony fretboard & bridge (pre-Micarta). This sweetie has a fast & narrow neck, very much like a 1970 00-18 I owned & enjoyed for twenty years (until it needed a neck reset).

This OOO has also reminded me how much tone Martins can frequently pull out of a small box. That's a great looking collection you have, and I'm sure it'll be a wonderful way to jump into 2018 - Congrats!

I've been mostly into Guilds since 2015 - kinda reliving my '70s lust for them when, by far, they were the best guitars my money could buy. It's brought me a renewed appreciation for how good so many of them sound, including the smaller F-30 size bodies.

I am with you Brother. Guilds were definitely the bright spot of 1970s. I have owned three Guilds - one built in Hoboken and the other two in Westerly including one of those transition D-25s with the arched back and spruce top.

I honestly am not even thinking about any Gibson, Guild or Martins at the time. Does not mean there is not another Gibson in my future but at this time I am just not willing to spend what one I would want would cost me. I am instead going to finally get around to having a few guitars I already own fixed up. I have a Schmidt Westbook Stella which needs a neck reset and a Kay K-6 (one of the first instruments to have the shortened moniker) that I am thinking of having converted to an X brace like I did with the Harmony Sovereign.

You got a nice guitar collection there! I like the Santa Cruz Stika.

Yes, me too! I had been looking for a short scale SCGC OM and they're rarer than hen's teeth. Then a week and a half ago, up this one pops on Reverb! I had just sold my 1960 D18 so I snagged it right away.

I love the OM/000 size too - and especially the 1 3/4" nut with 2 3/8" V Neckers!

(Have you played an OM Authentic, Rob? Delightful!)

Martins 2012 OM28 Marquis, 2016 OM18 Authentic VTS, 2002 OM18V:

PEhqLK9.jpg

BluesKing777.

Those are some real beauties, BK. I had a gorgeous OM 28 marquis Madagascar that I had to let go of as the Mod V neck and I didn't get along. Wish I could have kept it! Have not tried an Authentic but hope to eventually.

Those are some real beauties, BK. I had a gorgeous OM 28 marquis Madagascar that I had to let go of as the Mod V neck and I didn't get along. Wish I could have kept it! Have not tried an Authentic but hope to eventually.

The OM18 Authentic is very, very similar to my OM18V and OM Marquis in specs, love or hate - and why I love it for fingerpicking, but I have read the OM28 Authentic (rosewood) has narrower specs....

BluesKing777.

Archived