Gibson Brands Forums

Cheese!!!

Californiaman

How many different cheeses exist today? I looked it up and they said it was hard to answer. Over 750 in Britain and 400 in France and I've only tried less then 10 here in the U.S. Liked them all! msp_thumbup.gif

I didnt know there were that many. But some are new 'designer' cheeses with infusions & seed and nuts in. The only one of those I like a lot is a chilli infused one. It looks nasty, but tastes great!

Humbolt Fog Haze

The Original American Original® — remixed! Humboldt Fog paved the way for soft-ripened goat cheese in America, but this is Humboldt Fog like you’ve never seen it before. Each limited edition, handcrafted wheel features a distinctive ribbon of lavender and hand-harvested wild fennel pollen — utterly addictive and unforgettable. You'll also enjoy buttermilk and fresh cream, complemented with floral notes, herbaceous overtones, and a clean citrus finish. As Humboldt Fog Haze Remix matures, the creamline develops and the flavor intensifies.

Beer Pairings

Wheat Beer

IPA

Wine Pairings

Sauvignon Blanc

Sparkling Wine

Pinot Noir

Ingredients

Pasteurized cultured goat milk, salt, fennel pollen, lavender, enzymes, and vegetable ash

I remember laughing myself silly at both of those sketches when I was younger - the amp one goes on a bit longer until they chuck a bucket of water over him I think.....

Cheese - yes. A great invention.

Trouble is, the nicest cheeses are often very fatty and a bit pricey.

Being very 'eavy, very 'umble and very skint, I stick to mass-produced 'lighter mature' cheddars these days.

P.S. only whisper it.......

Lymeswold.....

[scared][tongue]

...I've only tried less then 10 here in the U.S....

msp_scared.gif

Seriously? WOW! What a horrible thought!

With the greatest respect and absolutely no offence intended I assure you, Retired, but I simply can't imagine what that must be like.

Pip.

1520639057[/url]' post='1922800']

msp_scared.gif

Seriously? WOW! What a horrible thought!

With the greatest respect and absolutely no offence intended I assure you, Retired, but I simply can't imagine what that must be like.

Pip.

Ha ha, well, my favorites are Sharp and Mild Cheddar, and Swiss and Baby Swiss cheeses on sandwiches, there's another one I love that Panera Bread uses on the turkey sandwiches I eat there but forgot what it's called. Then I love Pepper Jack cheese too and Romano cheese on pizza that La Casa pizza uses. I can never find that here though and they must order it in. There an family owned business here and only have two restaurants and make Sicilian style pizza. Deb's lactose intolerant and never eats cheese so we just get what our grocery stores stocks and that's not much. I would love to try more types as I love cheese. Asiago cheese is what Panera Bread uses and it's good.

...Deb's lactose intolerant and never eats cheese so we just get what our grocery stores stocks and that's not much...

Ah, sorry to hear that, Retired. Must make life a bit difficult in a great many ways when you go out to eat.

I'm fortunate in that even in our smallish suburban south-east London supermarket we are able to choose from an extraordinary selection. I had a casual perusal at the weekend and not counting the main aisle display area of cheeses and just in the small deli-counter part alone there are over four dozen different varieties from three continents. If I venture to a larger store a little bit further afield (about one mile away) the choice doubles. Add to that our raiding trips across the Channel and you can imagine the variety within our orbit.

Pip.

EDIT : Just for a giggle I've done a quick reckoning and in the fortnight since our last trip to France on St. Valentine's Day we've savoured 19 different types. We Like Cheese!......

For folks who have a penchant for spending a convivial evening with a few friends invited over for a meal (and some wine) I couldn't recommend one of these more highly;

Raclette_set.jpg

For those who are unfamiliar with the thing it's a Raclette set.

Considering they look quite impressive they are very reasonably priced. An 8-seater like the one above is around £30 ($40) in the UK.

Underneath the top hot-plate area (granite on this example) there is an electric heating element. The cheese pans are loaded with Raclette cheese - a full-fat semi-hard cows milk cheese from the Valais (Switzerland) and Haut-Savoie (France) regions - and these pans are then placed under the heating element in order for the cheese to melt.

To accompany the cheese it is commonly served, in the Charente-Maritime region at least, with boiled baby potatoes (or new potatoes), a number of different types of charcuterie, the crunchiest, smallest cornichons you can find and some nice white wine(*). The potatoes are kept warm on the top plate until needed and when the time comes to dig in a potato or two are transferred to one's plate, the melted cheese is poured over the split and buttered potatoes and the fun begins!

There are many things about the experience which make life for the hosts pleasant. Not only is the food delicious but, the boiling of the potatoes apart, there is no need for someone to be cooking when the rest are supping and having a chin-wag - all the cooking (such as it is) is done at the table so all can join in the party right from the start. Secondly, the unit and attendant sattelite plates, which hold the other foodstuffs and a supply of slices of cheese, are placed in the centre of the dining table so everyone can help themselves as and when their plates need to be replenished. Lastly it is simply a really fun thing to do - kids, especially, LOVE the experience.

(*) If one's preference is for red wine then it might be best to avoid the cornichons as the vinegary taste of the latter makes the former taste like vinegar...

Pip.

EDIT : If Raclette is unavailable in your area then ask the person at the cheese counter what they would recommend in its place. In essence the only quality the cheese must possess is the ability to melt and become reasonably runny. Even Cheddar can work quite well if push comes to shove...

• 2 weeks later...

I just love cheese!

I had some quesadillas this week that were Mexican Cheese w/ Chorizo.

Fantastic flavor.

There's a place in Santa Barbara called La Super Rica on Millpas, just down the street from the Santa Barbara Bowl.

Anyway, one of there specialties is melted Mexican Cheese w/ chunks of bacon in it. OMG good on a fresh home made tortilla.

Archived