Gibson Brands Forums

New top hat for my Trad

awel

Lately, I have been leaving my Tele and my Strat home and start using more my Traditional.

It is a 2016 model, and even if I have had a lot of std (1992, 1986, 2008) and 2 Custom Shop (Black Beauty and R7) on ly the R7 was better than this one (IMHO of course, just a matter of taste)

This one stays in tune, intonation is perfect, and got the mojo

I had already replaced the truss rod cover by a one without inscription on it and now I have replaced the speed knobs by top hat knobs that I prefer (look and feel)

So here are pictures (now and before) and a video I have made yesterday

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

free photo hosting

That has to be the nicest top I have ever seen on a Traditional. I make the same minor changes with the knobs and TRC too. I also had the metal pointers under the knobs.

Thanks, I will try to find metal pointers, but less easy to find that Top Hat knobs ;)

Next thing I will perhaps do is remove the PCB circuit and replace it by CTS Pots

Thanks, I will try to find metal pointers, but less easy to find that Top Hat knobs ;)

Next thing I will perhaps do is remove the PCB circuit and replace it by CTS Pots

I got the pointers on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ODCF8YE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, if it's a Traditional, it should be direct wired and not have a PCB, unless that year was different.

I got the pointers on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ODCF8YE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, if it's a Traditional, it should be direct wired and not have a PCB, unless that year was different.

Thanks.

And sadly, I have a pcb, no direct wired, right now I don't really mind, but since I am sweating a lot when playing a gig, I am a bit afraid that PCB will not like it so much ;)

And it is also a philosophy issue ;) I prefer it the good old way wires and capacitors

Nice playing. I've always liked that song.

The pictures show a right handed guitar, but your video shows you as left handed. What gives? Did you film it in a mirror?

Thank you

I am right handed like the guitar but don't know why each time I am doing a live video on Facebook with the Iphone front camera, the image is reversed

I don't know if someone with an Iphone 7 has faced this issue as well and has a solution for this?

Loved the video and your Traditional, Your a good player, Very nice. msp_thumbup.gif Plus I learned something Too. Wondered, what's a Top Hat and speed knob? I'm still learning or just dumb? I looked them up. My Gretsch has speed knobs on it. My Standard came with Top Hats and both of my Epiphones so guess I figured all Gibsons did. So thanks for teaching me something on this thread.

Loved the video and your Traditional, Your a good player, Very nice. msp_thumbup.gif Plus I learned something Too. Wondered, what's a Top Hat and speed knob? I'm still learning or just dumb? I looked them up. My Gretsch has speed knobs on it. My Standard came with Top Hats and both of my Epiphones so guess I figured all Gibsons did. So thanks for teaching me something on this thread.

A "speed knob" is also a service a cheap street hooker provides.

Thanks for your kind comment.

I am still learning too, sometimes there are post where I wondered what they meant :)

Al

A "speed knob" is also a service a cheap street hooker provides.

Ha Ha, You always make me laugh with your posts Big Bill, I gave you a plus for that.

Thanks for your kind comment.

I am still learning too, sometimes there are post where I wondered what they meant :)

Al

Maybe some day in the future I'll sit down and try and build a guitar, First one maybe from a kit? That would help me learn more? Still don't know all the terms what things are called but Sending E-mails back and forth to Rob In Australia Is Very Educational! Half the time I'm looking up to see what the Heck he's talking about now! msp_flapper.gif ("I don't need a rifle, I got a Donk.")

Archived