Gibson Brands Forums

robert johnson

guitar_randy

Anyone ever learn to play any robert johnson songs?

i just got the complete recordings cd's .I was expecting it to be really poor qaulity due to recording methods from back then,but its not bad.Reall good stuff to listen to.Get you in a good mood to get your guitar out afterwards.Inspiring stuff.Don't care for his voice really,but the music is cool stuff.

The avrg guitar player would have a very hard time with his stuff.
That's right' date=' his stuff sounds like it should be easy, but when you get past the chord changes, his fingerings and tunings are just non-exsistant on my guitar. I can play "Travelling Riverside Blues" like Page, but not like Johnson....It's Maddening. And I've always wanted to be able to play "Hot Tamales", but it's still in the "Long Term Goal" pile. '](*,)

I used to have his Complete Recordings when they came out on Tape, I need to get them again on CD. Greatest Collection of Blues Ever, like Bob Marley's Legend is to Reggae.

That's right' date=' his stuff sounds like it should be easy, but when you get past the chord changes, his fingerings and tunings are just non-exsistant on my guitar. I can play "Travelling Riverside Blues" like Page, but not like Johnson....It's Maddening. And I've always wanted to be able to play "Hot Tamales", but it's still in the "Long Term Goal" pile. '](*,)

I used to have his Complete Recordings when they came out on Tape, I need to get them again on CD. Greatest Collection of Blues Ever, like Bob Marley's Legend is to Reggae.

Ya some compines should make some sorta of fancy set of all of his stuff and should include copies of the only 2 photos of him.

I have listened to the songs and I could not appreciate them. Evidently his role was to inspire people like Clapton and B.B. King, who were in their musical formation over a half century ago. So in their case, and projecting back to a time where modern blues did not exist, it is easy to see how someone with a new and intriguing sound would inspire them. Today it's different. We draw inspiration from more recent works, for the most part. We still reach back to previous generations, but not that far back. This is especially true in the case of blues, where so much developmental work and refinement was done after Johnson that it effectively erased the significance of the man's music and replaced it with more significant works. Today, someone reaching back to an earlier generation would probably consider B.B. King's Live At The Regal album one of the most significant of the early blues works.

Clapton did an album recently called Mr. Johnson, which is clearly a tribute to the musical style of Robert Johnson. I personally do no like the album, but it does use modern recording methods and technically sounds better, so if you want to listen to really old time blues, this may have some value.

I find his music sounds better on records. I like the crackling and popping. It adds to that style of music.

Robert was one of the greats, no question.

I checked out his Gibson L1 replica at L&M. Too much money for a so so sounding guitar. Youre paying for Mojo

and nothing more. Gibson selling guitars with Mojo????.....hard to believe isnt it? lol

robert johnson yes, the greatest bluesmen to ever walk the earth if you can find a dvd called the search for robert johnson watch it its fasinating. the guy had so much talent. his vocals on a few of his songs were out of sight his brother supposedly made up the whole devil thing. then he kinda got used to it and thought it was cool. then after that all the rockers were like o yea im a devil worshiper im just like robert im so cool. i dont get it. anyway amazing bluesmen.

Clapton went through a phase in the 60s where if you were a guitar player that wanted to meet him but didn't know who Robert Johnson was, he wouldn't even talk to you. I believe that says it all.

Robert Johnson was the reason (or most of the reason) that blues is the way it is today

It might be called Red Hot' date=' I forget. I've got the CD downstairs, but too lazy to get up and look, or check Google default_eusa_wall.gif

Oh yeah, it's called "They're red Hot" when Robert does it.

If you like the Raw Blues of the 30's and 40's then Blind Willie MacTell is worth a listen.

Elmore James is really good, but for that era I have to go with Willie Dixon.

Archived