Gibson Brands Forums

Telecaster Pickup Output Question

glp2012

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I tried three new Telecasters that were the exact same model, year, everything - except the body color was different. In my opinion, two of the three sounded very similar in all three pickup positions. The third one seemed to have much more presence in the neck position. I mean, it was louder and had a different tone from the other two Telecasters. I don't usually hear differences between pickups on guitars of the same model, so this went against my expectation. I've got a couple of Stratocaster guitars and they are different years, but the pickups sound similar to me.

So, why would one Telecaster, of the same model and year sound so different? My possible guesses would be:

* The pickups were wired differently on the one guitar.

* The pickups were not the same between guitars.

* I'm screwed up and there was no difference.

* It's a crappy Telecaster and I should look for a higher end model.

* The pickup height was different between the guitars.

Thank you in advance.

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I tried three new Telecasters that were the exact same model, year, everything - except the body color was different. In my opinion, two of the three sounded very similar in all three pickup positions. The third one seemed to have much more presence in the neck position. I mean, it was louder and had a different tone from the other two Telecasters. I don't usually hear differences between pickups on guitars of the same model, so this went against my expectation. I've got a couple of Stratocaster guitars and they are different years, but the pickups sound similar to me.

So, why would one Telecaster, of the same model and year sound so different? My possible guesses would be:

* The pickups were wired differently on the one guitar.

* The pickups were not the same between guitars.

* I'm screwed up and there was no difference.

* It's a crappy Telecaster and I should look for a higher end model.

* The pickup height was different between the guitars.

Thank you in advance.

Hard to say with any certainty, but all other things being equal but colour, I have to go with your last option.

Johnny

Why have bunch of Strats or any guitar that all sound similar.

One for recording, one for stage, one for under the bed, one for...well, you get it. You can never have too many Strats!

Actually, the Strats have different neck radii.

I have 7 strats that all sound different and look different. For me, it is all about how I want to spend my money.

I get that but the Johnny 6 String said he has several Strat's and the all sound similar. I would not buy a few LP's or Acoustics and want them to all sound the same.

I get that but the Johnny 6 String said he has several Strat's and the all sound similar. I would not buy a few LP's or Acoustics and want them to all sound the same.

Sorry nope - never said I have several similar sounding strats - I've only got one strat and only one tele - they don't sound the same at all.

Johnny

Not all guitars sound the same regardless of their model/year similarities. In the end, a guitar as simple as it is is comprised of several components and the unique combinations that one has in whatever particular state it is gives it its uniqueness.

Deep thoughts by Jack Handy.

• 3 months later...

Prolly the pickup heights were different. Tele's are kind of sensitive like that.

Resurrecting an old thread, but I finally got the to mess with the Telecaster pickup height. Yes, adjusting the pickup height did make a marked difference in sound between the neck and the neck and bridge combined.

Thank you for the insight.

Archived