Gibson Brands Forums

Rodney Crowell with a little black gibson

blindboygrunt

Wow. Great share Grunt....

These Houston Blues... on a scale of 1 - 10....

Ima learn this.... Seems like a fantastic song to start a set with... get the sound checked... warm up....

We already play Shame on the Moon (covered by Bob Seger)

He’s hit or miss Sal

When he’s good he’s great but there’s a lot of that typical Nashville shite among his stuff

But here’s the song that got me in to him

Awesome song

https://thebluegrasssituation.com/video/sitch-sessions-rodney-crowell-east-houston-blues

Nice sounding guitar that

And of course Rodney is pure class

Thanks BBG for posting that.

When I decided to buy my Waterloo WL-14X (black with white pickguard based on the 1932 Gibson L-00 look), it was because I can’t get the real one...like Rodney’s!

Guitar could have been a whisker louder for us L-00 nerds.....

And ....what is the matter with East Houston? Is it the bad part of town?

BluesKing777.

Crowell has always been a talented guy, but as he's gotten older I think he's even better. His music is authentic. Though he can be a rocker, I think his low-key performances are really super. He writes in that gritty kind of way similar to John Prine (who I think is one of the all-time master songwriters). Tons of his videos on YouTube. And he plays Gibsons a lot.

And ....what is the matter with East Houston? Is it the bad part of town?

You can't get the Hell out of Texas....

<_<

The further East you go, the worse it gets all the way to Port Arthur. [biggrin]

(I'm sorta kidding all you Texans, I used to live there so...…)

You can't get the Hell out of Texas....

<_<

The further East you go, the worse it gets all the way to Port Arthur. [biggrin]

(I'm sorta kidding all you Texans, I used to live there so...…)

So you drive past East Houston on the way from Austin to Galveston Beach without stopping, windows in the car up, doors locked, teeth gritted hoping the car don’t konk and a rug over the guitar cases?

BluesKing777.

We lived in Houston for 10+ years. It's the FOURTH largest city in the country. Doesn't have 'zoning' so there are lots of "Good" areas and "Bad" areas. East Houston, by the Ship Channel is the area originally settled. Prior to opening the port - Galveston was the clear #1 port in the Western Gulf. They had a hurricane in the early part of the 20th century that changed all that.

ZZ Top wrote -" standing on a sin infested street corner in Houston Texas". Being from Houston - they knew they could have written East, West, North or South. Or even River Oaks.

Steve Earle wrote of Houston in his "Telephone Road" (an infamous street running in the South East part of the city).

"Telephone Road's ten miles long Fifty car lots and a hundred honky-tonks

Jukebox blastin' and the beer bottles ring

Jimmy banging on a pinball machine".And, to get back on track - Rodney Crowell also penned a song titled "Telephone Road".

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline" style="font-family: -webkit-standard;">

Crowell has always been a talented guy, but as he's gotten older I think he's even better. His music is authentic. Though he can be a rocker, I think his low-key performances are really super. He writes in that gritty kind of way similar to John Prine (who I think is one of the all-time master songwriters). Tons of his videos on YouTube. And he plays Gibsons a lot.

From the extremely small sample I've been introduced to, I'm loving his older, gritty voice... but yes that party, (posted above) would've been one to be at!

PS - speaking of being older, hit a milestone this weekend, was asked if my kid was my Grandson (first time i've been put in the 'grand' category)! Oooof- I looked at the guy and said, 'geeze, you know you just asked me if I was pregnant'

Archived