Gibson Brands Forums

Bunch Of Slackers....

Murph

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been to Aleppo. Tartous as well (coastal town), and Damascus. (my grandparents on my father's side lived in Tartous when they were alive)

Believe it or not... in 1978... all the young in Tartous wore Levis, listened to the Beach Boys, smoked Marlboro Reds... and there was nothing cooler than a Chevy Nova with 3 on the column.

Anyways... I would never return. It would be like moving to Bay Ridge Brooklyn nowadays anyway.

I am really into Wilmington though!

Anywhere but Jersey.

I am very happily retired in New Jersey. My house was not expensive, can't be seen from the road, with 10 beautiful acres of woods with a wild stream, bordering on thousands of acres of state forest. My little town is mostly state land with only about 1000 families. Property tax is low here, I paid no NJ income tax at all last year, yet I got a $25 "refund" as a property tax credit. I'm close enough to frequently see friends and family in NYC, even closer to Philadelphia.

But, by all means, keep promoting the "anywhere but Jersey" stereotype.... helps to keep out the riff-raff. [biggrin]

Obviously, there is a lot more to New Jersey than those places. I was born in St. Louis, lived in Virginia, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, Maine, WIsconsin, California and other places. They all have good and bad parts. Most open-minded people can figure that out. ;) But no matter.... we don't need a Bunch of Slackers here anyway.

OK...retiring and moving to the coast...

What about relative values and attributes of the various locations?

So if I sold my joint, what do I get for the same amount in ...the same area, the closest coast, 3 hours away, and at the furthest.....?

First of all if you stay in the area you live, move to smaller premises, you have all the services you know, quax, sadist dentist, train/bus, shops, guitar shop. etc

The coast that is close is usually more expensive than where you live, but a small apartment and all services with a beach view could be nice.

Etc, etc....

Now I always gravitate towards the furthest away from all the screaming and noisy people and saw a great cabin on a lonely looking sandhill on a coast 3 or 4 days drive from my place. 20 acres of sandhill! Half the value of my current abode. I am about to move in already! Incredible waterfront. The Boss says: "It looks too snakey!" Sister said the same when I sent her the beautiful photos online. That is the end of that. Nothing more said.

So the medium distance from everything coast place is on a main road that is busy in holiday times but deserted the rest of the year. I have stayed there once. I loved the location, but what really annoyed me more than anything I have done? The one and only shop. With 2 people working and seven (7) different serving counters. I am in a comedy. I stood at the 'head' counter, waiting, waiting, waiting and a guy went past and said I was at the fuel counter and needed to go to the counter down the end. etc. This went on and on and I was looking for the video camera for Funny Videos or something. After wandering around a bit, not served, I see they had not one thing I wanted.. :mellow:

BluesKing777.

My little ongoing joke close to the truth is that I say if I win Lotto, I will make sure to get a nice place closer to her work.... [smile]

Another thing is the place you think is great on holidays may just drive you insane after a week. We are always 'moving there' after a holiday.

The other problem is my great, great luthier shouting distance away, hope he doesn't move! And a good guitar shop...

BluesKing777.

Well this is sad...

My J50 is a giant "meh" for me this past month. It's not even on the wall... it's in its case closed away. Never done this before. Right now I could sell it and be all fine with that. I am not, because I am hopeful in a month or so I will want to take it out, change strings, and play it again.

There.... that's guitar related. AND page 4.

Archived