Gibson Brands Forums

Custom 12 string Dove

gluedblevins

14 hours ago, gluedblevins said:

Hello, I have a black custom 12 string Dove. Would anyone have any info on these 12 string models?

Nice!  That must be pretty rare, especially in black - as you say, it's out of the Gibson custom shop.  Looks like there might be an issue with the center seam below the bridge. (?)  As another dread, I wonder how it would compare to my Songwriter 12-string....

Yes, most likely is cracked.  It definitely shows on that black finish haha. These are pictures that my Mother had sent to me. I have a 6 string Dove purchased from my Grandmother at about the same time as the 12 string and I had to have that seam repaired on it.

I had a Dove  done in Black at Bozeman in 1992.  I didnt like the bleach blonde top they offered.  It cost If I recall about 300.00 more  on top of the selling price. I dont know if they had waited to do a batch. But its possible. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, slimt said:

I had a Dove  done in Black at Bozeman in 1992.  I didnt like the bleach blonde top they offered.  It cost If I recall about 300.00 more  on top of the selling price. I dont know if they had waited to do a batch. But its possible. 

12 string?

Nice guitar. You might want to check on the humidification of the guitar when you receive it. It looks like it has a separation crack from the bridge to the tail along the centre top join. If it is just a finish crack, you're fine but if it goes into the wood, it will need some attention.

I have a Custom Shop Hummingbird 12 string and is glorious. I can only imagine what the Dove sounds like with all that maple! Jingle Jangle! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gluedblevins said:

Yes, most likely is cracked.... I have a 6 string Dove.... and I had to have that seam repaired on it.

As mentioned, humidification will help, and cleating a crack like that is not a super major repair.  That's going to be a fantastic 12-string!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Until today, I thought ours was the only 12 string Dove that was made by Gibson. 

Ours was made in 1992 by the Gibson Acoustic Custom Shop by Ren  Ferguson and John Walker. Seems like the black one might have been made around the same time, if it came out of the Montana Division. 

I took ours to the Gibson Garage recently and got a setup done on it and we decided to go to 12 gage strings and tune it to D standard tuning. That has made a world on difference in the playability and sound of the guitar. 

On 8/6/2022 at 7:35 PM, SilverTurtleZ28 said:

Until today, I thought ours was the only 12 string Dove that was made by Gibson. 

Ours was made in 1992 by the Gibson Acoustic Custom Shop by Ren  Ferguson and John Walker. Seems like the black one might have been made around the same time, if it came out of the Montana Division. 

I took ours to the Gibson Garage recently and got a setup done on it and we decided to go to 12 gage strings and tune it to D standard tuning. That has made a world on difference in the playability and sound of the guitar. 

here's a picture of mine20220806_183211.thumb.jpg.c7881d4fe22aeadb95ae5a443ae8c95b.jpg

• Like 2