Gibson Brands Forums

Peavey is auctioning of $12,000,000 worth of unsold guitars, amps, and raw materials

Guitar God

Just now seen this article. Thought I'd share and see what everyone's thoughts are on this. Saddening because Peavey has always made great quality products here in the USA and I've always really liked Peavey stuff.  Was just playing through my Peavey 5150 2 half stack earlier. Absolutely love that amp.
https://guitar.com/news/peavey-to-auction-off-12-million-worth-of-unsold-guitars-amps-and-raw-materials/

Back in 2015, the company sold off a range of speaker and amplifier manufacturing equipment following the closure two of its Mississippi factories, after it moved production overseas due to “changes in the marketplace”.

I have a 1988 Classic VTX and a 1986 Bandit 65 (my favorite amp). I don't buy newer Peavey products due to "changes in the marketplace".

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Back in 2015, the company sold off a range of speaker and amplifier manufacturing equipment following the closure two of its Mississippi factories, after it moved production overseas due to “changes in the marketplace”.

I have a 1988 Classic VTX and a 1986 Bandit 65 (my favorite amp). I don't buy newer Peavey products due to "changes in the marketplace".

I know at NAMM in 2017 Peavey introduced several made in USA electrics. I can’t find anyone who sells them. Back in the early eighties I owned a T-15. It was a great guitar with great tone. The only negative was the weight, it had to weigh 12 pounds.

• Like 1

I've had several Peavey amps over the years. I've always liked them a lot.  I'm looking at this as they are just selling off the warehoused material thats been sitting around since they changed their operations. I could be wrong. 

I still want one of their 1x15 Delta Blues amps. I'll get one someday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

I've had several Peavey amps over the years. I've always liked them a lot.  I'm looking at this as they are just selling off the warehoused material thats been sitting around since they changed their operations. I could be wrong. 

I want a Delta Blues too. Back in the 1960's Peavey amps were the preferred amp among many. They still maintain a stellar reputation today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Navy Vet. said:

I want a Delta Blues too. Back in the 1960's Peavey amps were the preferred amp among many. They still maintain a stellar reputation today.

I agree. I've always considered them the "working man's amp". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

I had a Peavey Classic VT 50 4x10 combo for several years, with the footswitch.

Great amp, wish I still had it; darker than a Fender but wonderful tones.

Growing up in the south in the 1960's and getting into music Peavey was a revered name. Every shop sold their equipment, its was the brand of choice for many. Their T series guitars were built like tanks and weighed like one. I remember a friend who owned a Peavey amp and a T-60 guitar using his guitar to crack pecans. He would throw a pecan on the floor and take his T-60 and pound down on the pecan. Never bothered his guitar. His nickname was Pea--Can. The boy loved pecans, Marlboro Reds  RC Cola. and the Blues.

Edited by Navy Vet.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Navy Vet. said:

Growing up in the south in the 1960's and getting into music Peavey was a revered name. Every shop sold their equipment, its was the brand of choice for many. Their T series guitars were built like tanks and weighed like one. I remember a friend who owned a Peavey amp and a T-60 guitar using his guitar to crack pecans. He would through a pecan on the floor and take his T-60 and pound down on the pecan. Never bothered his guitar. His nickname was Pea--Can. The boy loved pecans, Marlboro Reds  RC Cola. and the Blues.

lol, ahh RC Cola ...  yep, when I started playing clubs in the mid 70's  the local music stores had several brands of amps but Peaveys were everywhere.  sounded good, affordable & rock solid. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, rct said:

Used a bunch of Classics in the late 70's/early 80's.  Sad to say, Hartley ran it into the ground.  Should have closed up decade or so ago.

rct

Yep. Totally agree..

There's an episode of "Undercover Boss" that shows what an arsehole Hartley really is. He made his money and doesn't give a damn about his employees or his customers. While I agree, they made some durable stuff in the 70's / 80's that show and his attitude and the whole move to Chinese gear makes me sick.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:24 AM, rct said:

Used a bunch of Classics in the late 70's/early 80's.  Sad to say, Hartley ran it into the ground.  Should have closed up decade or so ago.

rct

I’m not knowledgeable about the business side of things but as a consumer I tend to agree. Their old stuff was almost stupidly overbuilt, but very functional. The newer stuff that I’ve tried just doesn’t excite me at all

I had a small solid state amp from them called the Backstage 30 or something like that.. that thing sounded great to me. 3 or 4 knobs and just sounded nice

Theres a guy on another forum I’m at who used to work as an engineer for Peavy and he is brilliant (he designed the flanger that you hear on Barracuda). I’m not sure if they have anyone like that anymore or maybe they ignore their engineers to save money

On 7/31/2019 at 7:53 AM, Karloff said:

I've been curious and thinking about a Delta Blues or one of their Classic series for a good long time, too. 

On 7/31/2019 at 12:02 PM, Navy Vet. said:

Growing up in the south in the 1960's and getting into music Peavey was a revered name. Every shop sold their equipment, its was the brand of choice for many. Their T series guitars were built like tanks and weighed like one. I remember a friend who owned a Peavey amp and a T-60 guitar using his guitar to crack pecans. He would throw a pecan on the floor and take his T-60 and pound down on the pecan. Never bothered his guitar. His nickname was Pea--Can. The boy loved pecans, Marlboro Reds  RC Cola. and the Blues.

Haha. Cool story. I've been very interested in a T-60 for years. Ever since I was a kid and first seen Johnny Copeland play one. Maybe one day I'll check one out or have one.

Link to auction:   https://cagp.industrialbid.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/4200/?page=1&items=96

Most of these are "customer returns".  Uhhhhh, as in "it does not work" or "it works just fine, but I did not like it"?  Answer:   Yes

18% premium on bids.  Shipping is the bidder's responsibility.

Example: LOT of 8 PEAVEY VALVE KING VK 100 GUITAR TUBE HEADS; starting bid: $50

830891_8.jpg?1564590843

23 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Link to auction:   https://cagp.industrialbid.com/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/4200/?page=1&items=96

Most of these are "customer returns".  Uhhhhh, as in "it does not work" or "it works just fine, but I did not like it"?  Answer:   Yes

18% premium on bids.  Shipping is the bidder's responsibility.

Example: LOT of 8 PEAVEY VALVE KING VK 100 GUITAR TUBE HEADS; starting bid: $50

830891_8.jpg?1564590843

That and unsold stock, too. May be able to snatch something from this auction dirt cheap.

Sure doesn’t look great to me.. 

The cost of shipping those pallets is going to be considerable. There is no guarantee that all 8 amps aren’t broken or defective. That model amp can be had for $250 or less all day long. Let’s say best case scenario all 8 amps work fine, then you have a pallet of amps to deal with and they’re worth about $2K for the whole lot. 

That is one of the most desirable looking lots out of the whole thing and it’s not great. I’m probably being too negative but I looked through the auction and it looks like a load of shite