Gibson Brands Forums

Strings for longevity

uncle fester

Hi all - I use, and like the sound of PBs, and for my every day player (J45) don't mind swapping them out every 6-12 wks or so - but for my other guitar, which could sit for a couple months and then I'll pick it up again in spurts (usually due to something in an open tuning), and the strings have lost their life.

Are there any strings people would recommend for a sporadically dormant guitar?  Or is swapping them out just the nature of the game?  Off to swap some strings...

C’mon (Roy)^2-  you know elixirs, the nano‘s in particular, would be good for a regular- use guitar‘s longevity of strings, but for a guitar that has infrequent use, just put your favorite set of strings on it, and keep it in the case- they should sound pretty good for a long time. Also, by using the long-lived elixirs, you lessen the  amount of times that the bridge plate gets galled every time you bring  a new set of strings up tension.   

I find that if a guitar sits with strings on it for awhile, oxidation of the strings begins to occur, but if I firmly wipe the strings off with a paper towel they bounce back to life pretty good.  Although, visually some of the oxidation still appears to remain on the strings (which I just ignore because the strings again sound pretty good.)

Just my experience.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff 

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

C’mon (Roy)^2-  you know elixirs, the nano‘s in particular, would be good for a regular- use guitar‘s longevity of strings, but for a guitar that has infrequent use, just put your favorite set of strings on it, and keep it in the case- they should sound pretty good for a long time. Also, by using the long-lived elixirs, you lessen the  amount of times that the bridge plate gets galled every time you bring  a new set of strings up tension.   

Thank you, do you know if keeping it out in the environment vs in the case make a difference?

36 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

I find that if a guitar sits with strings on it for awhile, oxidation of the strings begins to occur, but if I firmly wipe the strings off with a paper towel they bounce back to life pretty good.  Although, visually some of the oxidation still appears to remain on the strings (which I just ignore because the strings again sound pretty good.)

Just my experience.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff 

Thanks - I've been fortunate not to have oxidation, just not that bright fresh string sound I love...  and even that not so bright, but not dead string sound.

I think keeping it in the case makes the strings last longer, because whatever the fingers leave behind attracts and allows dust to accumulate, and oxidation to increase . Personally,  there are a couple of guitars that stay out around here. .  and I kinda like the sound of older strings on certain guitars/ styles of music- not quite Nick Drake, more along the lines of early Dylan.

QM- if you want a surprise, try  wiping those strings down with a little naphtha … They’ll be zingy again. Just be sure to wear ear plugs- it’s pretty squeaky.

Edited by 62burst

Thank you all, the guitar is out in the elements, maybe will try the naphtha or axe wax next time it takes a little hibernation.  tried something like that before and wasn't thrilled - but might be worth a try.  Worse case I swap the strings, which I'd be doing anyways.

As stated above, the coated ones will last forever for occasional use. Some of my guitars sit for a year or so with the coated and they hold up. On the flip side, I was bragging about the coated strings to a friend of mine that plays out about 4 nights a week. The coated strings lasted about 3 weeks (versus his usual once a week changing) then the coating started flaking off so I don't think they'll hold up under extreme  playing conditions. I recently tried the nickel bronze strings and was blown away with their initial sound bu they lost their sizzle after a couple weeks, but they still sound okay. I have a large stash of SP's so they'll do for now.

I know nothing about metallurgy, and less about metal stress. BUT, based on what I've read about steel SPRINGS - they do not lose their 'spring' if they sit idle. It is only by bouncing them up and down that they weaken.  If they are flattened, and sit, they do not lose their springiness, it is only the up and down movement that does that.

So - I do not think that, once a string is tuned, if it were put aside and not strummed or picked, that it would lose much of its original tensile strength and zing.  I use Elixers because I like to get to the sweet spot, after they're good and broken in, and before they get dandruff. 

On 8/17/2019 at 4:13 AM, Frozen Rat said:

Try Martin Monels. They seem to last a long time and I've never seen one corrode yet. Plus, they sound friggin' fantastic on everything. 

Tried them before, but just wasn't able to partner with them.  Some folks work magic with them though.

20 hours ago, Dave F said:

As stated above, the coated ones will last forever for occasional use. Some of my guitars sit for a year or so with the coated and they hold up. On the flip side, I was bragging about the coated strings to a friend of mine that plays out about 4 nights a week. The coated strings lasted about 3 weeks (versus his usual once a week changing) then the coating started flaking off so I don't think they'll hold up under extreme  playing conditions. I recently tried the nickel bronze strings and was blown away with their initial sound bu they lost their sizzle after a couple weeks, but they still sound okay. I have a large stash of SP's so they'll do for now.

Sounds like the elixer nano's are the front runner!

20 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I know nothing about metallurgy, and less about metal stress. BUT, based on what I've read about steel SPRINGS - they do not lose their 'spring' if they sit idle. It is only by bouncing them up and down that they weaken.  If they are flattened, and sit, they do not lose their springiness, it is only the up and down movement that does that.

So - I do not think that, once a string is tuned, if it were put aside and not strummed or picked, that it would lose much of its original tensile strength and zing.  I use Elixers because I like to get to the sweet spot, after they're good and broken in, and before they get dandruff. 

I agree science says things shouldn't change, and science should be right, but when I pick the guitar up after awhile, the strings don't typically sound bright and chippy.  Maybe just the everyday expansion and contraction due to humidity changes is enough to effect them.