Gibson Brands Forums

amp for J-200

motixlost

hey.
i bought J-200 standard 3 months ago.
now im looking for an amp.

ill play in my studio but maybe in the future live.
what do u think i should buy? what size?
here is a video of the my own guitar with "fender 100 acoustic" amp 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10qn8em4mkJfmL52AQMDhE15IsgrNGTal/view?usp=drivesdk

whats your opinion about the Marshall as50d or as100d?

i really want to squeze all the beautiful tone from the guitar.

btw, how the guitar sounds in the video?

There are many great Amps but most of the really good ones are more than $1000.00. 

That said, I think it's really hard to beat a Fender Amp for Gibson Acoustics. Princeton Reissues, Deluxe Reverbs & Twins  are great! The first 2 being in your budget range.

They are Reasonably Priced, easy to Service, Bullet proof Workhorses. If need be, easy to replace....

Larsongs, do you really use Fender tube amps for acoustic guitars? That is an interesting approach! I never tried it although I am a huge Fender tube amp fan and have some of them in my stable. Do they provide enough high frequencies for an acoustic guitar?

The Fender 100 Acoustic motixlost mentioned above is totally different. I have an ACUS one  8 after testing the small loudbox in a store. The small Fishmann loudbox "mini" is unbeatable in size and weight but it had not enough "boom" for me. I use the acoustic amp is just for situations without PA or for sessions where you do not now which PA you will find there.

Coming to motixlost´s question - size and weight are a problem (the ACUS one 8 is quite heavy and not so small for example) but I have started testing smaller amps and ended with a little bigger one. Of course the good stuff starts > 1.000$ but depending on the purpose of application there should be something working under 1.000$. By the way - there is an interesting thread started by Jinder discussing acoustic amps at the high end of the price.

I have a Bose S1 and a Fishman Loudbox Artist.  They are both good but for entirely different reasons and applications.

The Bose S1 is very good for what it's intended.  A portable PA.    IMHO, It is not GREAT amp to use for just the amping up an acoustic guitar.   Lacks EQ options and limited with regard to built in FX.  (Just Reverb, and it's not one of my favorites)  I find it a bit hard to get a good tone dialed in with out using something like a Tonedexter pre-amp.  the Bose S1 is light and a big plus is ability to run entirely off battery.   I worked a few wedding ceremony's where I was quite a distance from a power source.  It worked fantastically.

The Loudbox Artist is the one I'd opt for as JUST an amp for your J200 (which I have as well, and I know that have the LR Baggs Anthem pickup in there.)  the loudbox artist will sound very good with that setup.  The EQ on the Loudbox is very active and musical.  There's a notch filter, phase swtich, a blend control for the woofer and the HF driver, and LOTS of options for sending signals out to other sources.

The Fishman can also be used as a portable PA, but unless you get the Mini Charge, you'll need power in those situations.

I do solo gigs on occasion, (maybe 3 or 4 a year)  if the venue is right for it, I'll use the Loudbox for my vocal mic and guitar, and I send a DI out to the Bose S1 on a pole.  It's impressive  how good this sounds.  Especially in a small environment or out side.  Very easy setup.  Done in a few minutes, and it comes down even faster.  All fits in my back seat.

I also have an older Fender Acoustasonic JR.  It's last on the list for what I like to hear out of these things.   I use it to amp my Mandolin for the sever tunes my band does with Mando

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I have a Bose S1 and a Fishman Loudbox Artist.  They are both good but for entirely different reasons and applications.

The Bose S1 is very good for what it's intended.  A portable PA.    IMHO, It is not GREAT amp to use for just the amping up an acoustic guitar.   Lacks EQ options and limited with regard to built in FX.  (Just Reverb, and it's not one of my favorites)  I find it a bit hard to get a good tone dialed in with out using something like a Tonedexter pre-amp.  the Bose S1 is light and a big plus is ability to run entirely off battery.   I worked a few wedding ceremony's where I was quite a distance from a power source.  It worked fantastically.

The Loudbox Artist is the one I'd opt for as JUST an amp for your J200 (which I have as well, and I know that have the LR Baggs Anthem pickup in there.)  the loudbox artist will sound very good with that setup.  The EQ on the Loudbox is very active and musical.  There's a notch filter, phase swtich, a blend control for the woofer and the HF driver, and LOTS of options for sending signals out to other sources.

The Fishman can also be used as a portable PA, but unless you get the Mini Charge, you'll need power in those situations.

I do solo gigs on occasion, (maybe 3 or 4 a year)  if the venue is right for it, I'll use the Loudbox for my vocal mic and guitar, and I send a DI out to the Bose S1 on a pole.  It's impressive  how good this sounds.  Especially in a small environment or out side.  Very easy setup.  Done in a few minutes, and it comes down even faster.  All fits in my back seat.

I also have an older Fender Acoustasonic JR.  It's last on the list for what I like to hear out of these things.   I use it to amp my Mandolin for the sever tunes my band does with Mando

Reading Kidblast's input - it would come down to need for portability without a  power source for me.  That's pretty big for me, I like to pick up and go out back to the campfire on occasion, and have hooked it up to blue tooth as a music source on occasion as well.  Not needing power makes it a whole lot easier, but if you're just sitting in your studio and being plugged in is no issue - the fishman, or something fishman-ish would be enticing.  I have not done side by side sound comparisons, so can't speak to that, but I can say I'm more than happy with what I get out of the Bose.

Edited by billroy

2 hours ago, billroy said:

Reading Kidblast's input - it would come down to need for portability without a  power source for me.  That's pretty big for me, I like to pick up and go out back to the campfire on occasion, and have hooked it up to blue tooth as a music source on occasion as well.  Not needing power makes it a whole lot easier, but if you're just sitting in your studio and being plugged in is no issue - the fishman, or something fishman-ish would be enticing.  I have not done side by side sound comparisons, so can't speak to that, but I can say I'm more than happy with what I get out of the Bose.

The Battery capability is great.    The fishman Mini Charge is Fishmans answer to that, but the S1 I think wins hands down in that aspect.

Don't get me wrong, just being 100% objection on the matter.  Side by Side you can see where the fishman LB Artist wins out purely as a "Acoustic Guitar Amp" as it has those things available that as a guitarist, I feel I prefer to have.   The lack of a mid control on the EQ is something I've often wondered why they did not include it.  The Tone Match switch doesn't really "get ya there" in my opinion. 

That said, The Bose S1 is an awesome product.   Using it as it was intended, (small personal PA) the LoudBox is hard pressed to keep pace.   Clear and crisp, with a nice wide dispersion

pairing the two is even awesome-er......

3 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

I use an AER Compact 60 with my J-150 and the tone is superb. Id highly recommend it.

Hey EA, just looked at the AER, and saw it has a 'pan' knob.  I'm used to pan being used with multiple speakers / amps to move the sound around, what does that do on a single acoustic amp?

4 hours ago, billroy said:

Hey EA, just looked at the AER, and saw it has a 'pan' knob.  I'm used to pan being used with multiple speakers / amps to move the sound around, what does that do on a single acoustic amp?

yea it's a great amp,, if you ave $1k to drop on one. (Cost new)  I don't...

Edited by kidblast

If you're just using it for acoustic guitar, the world is your oyster. There are a ton of great acoustic amps out there...I've owned most of them for brief periods on my quest to find an acoustic amp which works as well for vocals as it does for guitar. 

What I've used, and what I think of them:

AER Compact 60 - An industry standard amp, very good guitar tone, light and compact. Can get a touch compressed and mushy at gig volumes if you want to use it for vocals too, but just for guitar it's hard to beat in terms of tone Vs convenience.

AER Compact XL - The same, but more power and a different speaker configuration. Compresses later on the volume knob than the 60 as it has 200w under the hood. Not quite as sweet sounding as the 60, with more of a honk in the midrange, particularly for vocals. A bit bass light when elevated.

AER Domino - More power (bi-amped at 2x100w), more spread, better sounding than the XL but still not quite as sweet as the 60. Great versatility with four channels, but still relatively bass-light. Percussive playing and looping sounded rather clattery, but superb clarity for vocals. A very sibilant amp for vocals though, so mic choice is critical.

Schertler Roy - Bigger and VERY heavy. Superb tone for guitar and vocals, but I couldn't get the gain structure to do what I needed it to (all my mics overloaded the front end at gig volumes), so it went back. Realistically, I think over time the sheer heft of the beast would have worn me down a bit.

DV Mark 101H - I didn't like this amp at all. Muddy, indistinct tone, not very inspiring at all. Didn't really cut it for guitar or vocals, for me. Two of them let me down embarrassingly at gigs before I gave up on the DV Mark brand.

Fishman Loudbox Performer - This was fine sonically for both guitar and vocals, but compressed somewhat unpleasantly when really pushed. I was happy with it at moderate volumes, but in the end I had three of them let me down due to blown op-amps, and gave up on them. A good concept amp, but needed AER style attention to detail in the build to save them from reliability issues. 

Hughes & Kettner Era 2 - I'm a bit green with this one as it only arrived today! First impressions are very good, though. Great tone and a very musical EQ section, lovely FX, not devastatingly loud for a 400w amp but more than enough for most applications and projects mightily well. Easily the best acoustic amp for vocals I've used, and will handle my input gain levels even when I engage full lion's roar mode! Can't wait to try it at this weekend's gigs. It feels very well made, is solid (but SO much lighter than the Roy!) and comes with tilt stand and an excellent padded slip case. 

In summary, all the above (bar possibly the DV Mark) will work very well for just a guitar. For a true guitar and vocal amp, you may find yourself having to be more picky.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, billroy said:

Its about how much you wanto to 'pan' the reverb more towards guitar or vocals

On September 3, 2019 at 10:38 PM, Larsongs said:

There are many great Amps but most of the really good ones are more than $1000.00. 

That said, I think it's really hard to beat a Fender Amp for Gibson Acoustics. Princeton Reissues, Deluxe Reverbs & Twins  are great! The first 2 being in your budget range.

They are Reasonably Priced, easy to Service, Bullet proof Workhorses. If need be, easy to replace....

As far as Acoustics I have a Vintage Martin D-35 (Martin Factory added Fishman Electronics), a 2000 Masterbilt Gibson Solid Top J-160E, a Martin D-18 12 String Acoustic Electric, an Epiphone Texan Acoustic Electric & an Alvarez Classical Acoustic Electric Guitar.. 

I do indeed play them them thru my Fender 65 PRRI, 65 DRRI, Twin, Vox AC10C1 & Vox AC15CC1X & they sound great... I run with single Amps & run different variations of Amps in Stereo via my Keeley 30 MS Double Tracker Pedal. The possibilities are infinite!

Ive tried a lot of the above mentioned as well & they're good too...

For me, hands down it’s the Roland Street Cube amp, using the instrument setting (not the acoustic guitar setting.  The acoustic guitar setting is for electric guitars when you need it to synthesize an acoustic guitar-like sound.). The instrument setting lets the acoustic guitar’s sound shine through.  There are a bunch of other available  synthesized sounds, but none are needed.  Separate bass, treble, mid range controls for the guitar, plus reverb if desired.  The Mic channel has separate bass and treble controls and a reverb control.  Plugs in or uses 6 AA batteries that last for at least 15 hours even with cheap batteries.  No charging needed.  There is a separate gain and a separate volume control for the guitar input and a separate volume control for the Mic input.  I gig 6 days a week and the Roland Street Cube works great for small outdoor or indoor gigs.  Especially when it sits right behind or slightly to the side of me, slightly behind me.  If I do a larger venue or large area outdoor gig, then I use my full 600w Yamaha sound system, and then the Roland Street Cube becomes my monitor through the Mic jack with its switch put to input.

The  stereo speakers in it are directional, so I know exactly where the sound is headed based on where it’s aimed.  I sit it on a small 10 inch basket turned upside down when I am gigging, which helps it project better than sitting on the ground.

It’s only about $325.  A superior piece of equipment IMHO.  There is another version that looks similar that sells for about $600 with more power.  I’ve never had a need for that version.  The one I have does a great job.  No clue why more people aren’t talking about it.  It’s my acoustic guitar amp of choice.  Works great with my hollow body electric, too (since it’s really an acoustic instrument.)  vocals sound quite good through the Mic channel.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

9 hours ago, QuestionMark said:

For me, hands down it’s the Roland Street Cube amp, using the instrument setting (not the acoustic guitar setting.  The acoustic guitar setting is for electric guitars when you need it to synthesize an acoustic guitar-like sound.). The instrument setting lets the acoustic guitar’s sound shine through.  There are a bunch of other available  synthesized sounds, but none are needed.  Separate bass, treble, mid range controls for the guitar, plus reverb if desired.  The Mic channel has separate bass and treble controls and a reverb control.  Plugs in or uses 6 AA batteries that last for at least 15 hours even with cheap batteries.  No charging needed.  There is a separate gain and a separate volume control for the guitar input and a separate volume control for the Mic input.  I gig 6 days a week and the Roland Street Cube works great for small outdoor or indoor gigs.  Especially when it sits right behind or slightly to the side of me, slightly behind me.  If I do a larger venue or large area outdoor gig, then I use my full 600w Yamaha sound system, and then the Roland Street Cube becomes my monitor through the Mic jack with its switch put to input.

The  stereo speakers in it are directional, so I know exactly where the sound is headed based on where it’s aimed.  I sit it on a small 10 inch basket turned upside down when I am gigging, which helps it project better than sitting on the ground.

It’s only about $325.  A superior piece of equipment IMHO.  There is another version that looks similar that sells for about $600 with more power.  I’ve never had a need for that version.  The one I have does a great job.  No clue why more people aren’t talking about it.  It’s my acoustic guitar amp of choice.  Works great with my hollow body electric, too (since it’s really an acoustic instrument.)  vocals sound quite good through the Mic channel.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Hey QMJJ - I've seen you post a couple times on the Roland, which got me looking.  The reviews seem really good and has me enticed as a portable amp, but not sure I'd want it as the only one in my studio.  Playing most of my time in there (and I believe it's the intention of the OP as well),  because it is only battery powered.   For those situations, I would want to plug in just to save the life of the batteries.

So many toys...

The Roland Street Cube plugs into an electrical outlet with an adapter that comes with it or it can be used with  6 AA batteries.   Not only do I use it for gigging, but since I bought it about 2 years ago, I have found I haven’t used any of my other amps when I play inside my home as I instead continue to use my Roland Street Cube as I like its clear sound now better than my UltraSound or Ibanez acoustic amps.  And, I loved my UltraSound acoustic amp.  Used it for many years.  Now it sits unused.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I've had an RMS  for 6 years I really like.  (RMS  AC40 - for my SJ200) 

But, I only use it when I want to irritate my neighbor who refused to take her "Women For ........."  political bumper sticker off her car up until last year. 

Edited by fortyearspickn

16 hours ago, Larsongs said:

As far as Acoustics I have a Vintage Martin D-35 (Martin Factory added Fishman Electronics), a 2000 Masterbilt Gibson Solid Top J-160E, a Martin D-18 12 String Acoustic Electric, an Epiphone Texan Acoustic Electric & an Alvarez Classical Acoustic Electric Guitar.. 

I do indeed play them them thru my Fender 65 PRRI, 65 DRRI, Twin, Vox AC10C1 & Vox AC15CC1X & they sound great... I run with single Amps & run different variations of Amps in Stereo via my Keeley 30 MS Double Tracker Pedal. The possibilities are infinite!

Ive tried a lot of the above mentioned as well & they're good too...

I probably should mention that I play several different Electric Guitars as well. In the different Bands I play with I play Acoustics & Electrics. Equally, each about half the time. Hence the need for Amps that are great sounding, hard working, easily replaceable & don't break the Bank that can do double duty.. IMO & experience the Amps I listed that I use check all the boxes.....

On 9/7/2019 at 7:49 AM, QuestionMark said:

The Roland Street Cube plugs into an electrical outlet with an adapter that comes with it or it can be used with  6 AA batteries.   Not only do I use it for gigging, but since I bought it about 2 years ago, I have found I haven’t used any of my other amps when I play inside my home as I instead continue to use my Roland Street Cube as I like its clear sound now better than my UltraSound or Ibanez acoustic amps.  And, I loved my UltraSound acoustic amp.  Used it for many years.  Now it sits unused.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I’ve got the Roland Street Cube Ex and really like it.  Had it for almost eight years (I think—-got it when they first came out).   50 watts and lots of options and enhancements.  You an easily set-up a trio of pickers on it. For “music in the park” shows I use a Yamahas Stage Pas, BUT, for every thing else it’s the Roland.  Very easy to move with (only 16lbs.) ,very heavy-duty (I can use it as a chair), and the sound is awesome.  I can set-up and be playing in 5-6minutes.  It can be knocked-around, kicked, tripped-over—-Anyway, a rugged and great amp.

While everyone is listing all their amps, I thought to mention my Genz Benz 60 watt stereo. While I may have bought it just after the Vikings raided England, of interest to anyone with a K&K pickup is that the guitar input impedance is only 300 k, whereas other amps are 1 MegOhm  and up to 10 or 20 MegOhm.

Anyhows, the 300k makes K&K sound beautiful and no need of the K&K preamp (also a low Ohm). In a larger impedance, I found the bass goes flubbish. And the treble goes Flibish...

Oh yeah, the catch - it hates Fishman undersaddles which probably need 20 MegOhm and the max. And the amp is pretty heavy for a little thing.

The other great feature is the back of the cabinet is cut off so you can lean the amp back. Cool! It also has little speakers with little horns you can switch off if things get too trebly and bitey.....

AND..with the stereo, I can run stereo out of the back of my Boss VE8 gadget to a channel each side...AND 2 XLR plugs out in the DI!

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1834&sid=420&cid=94

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777