Gibson Brands Forums

savin' up

1dacota1

No matter what, buy it used. In the big picture, Gibsons are generally solid guitars withOUT any major "pitfall" models in their lineup, so go with the one that feels best in your hands. Within the big picture of Gibsons generally being solid guitars, you may find that you need to replace the tuners or some little thing after you put in 100 hours playing time on it & get to know the guitar's quirks/weaknesses, if any.

Gibson does have some good guitars for cheap, like the Melody Maker & Les Paul Jr, that have that good Gibson neck & fretboard... I am a huge fan of buying used bargain Gibsons & upgrading the tuners and pickups! You end up with a guitar that usually plays and sounds as well as the ones that cost thousands more.

if you are looking for a guitar on the cheap...you cannot go wrong with a Gibson Melody Maker...american made...set neck...under $500...awesome!

also i am eyeing a new Les Paul Jr. from Guitar Center...like $800...same thing...american made...set neck...good pickups...you cant go wrong either way!

these mind you are for new guitars...there is a bunch of gibsons on the market for that price...used...for example i saw a Les Paul Double Cutaway going for like $500 on craigslist...and a Les Paul VM (orig 900-1000) going for 6 and change...so you can find good deals if you look but be careful because a lot of people are reporting fakes...

hey guys im new here and I have a gibson acoustic' date=' but I also want to save up for an electric. does any one know a farley cheap (but well working) gibson electric I could start on?:- [/quote'] I think i could ring in about 600 to 800 gs

If you ever find yourself in Rochester, New York, the Great House of Guitars will set you up with something nice...

I have a Melody Maker on hold for $329 at the moment, and they have Faded Flying Vs for $449.

If you want a Lennon Les Paul Junior, they're selling one for $3500.

Know the normal retail price of the instrument, though, because they will try to get as much as they can from you. They are more than willing to bargain, though, and you can generally get them down to 80% or less of the Guitar Center price.

I paid $600 for my Martin with case, and the total "normal" retail price would have been $850.

When I saw the title this is what I thought of...

(I've got an 11-year old sis)

Damn subliminal marketing messages!

Back in the day (year an 1/2 ago or so) I got my les paul vintage mahogany for 750 brand new w/case. Too bad everything's price went up.

Like many have already said, go with a used guitar and get a nice model like a studio. You can search places like ebay, craigslist, gbase, guitar center, sweetwater, local stores etc. for new & used guitars.

If not, I'd wait for enough $$ to buy a model you really want.

I gave $750 for a Studio DC about 4 years ago, and I've seen several other Studio models in various shops for $450 to $700 in the last several months.

Hit a few pawn shops, and get an idea of what's around.

I think i could ring in about 600 to 800 gs

If that's $600-$800 US get a lightly used (1 year old) Vintage Mahogany or Faded Maple. Look on Craigslist or the BC equivalent. The regular Studios are usually old or beat up at that price. If it's CDN you might be struggling to find a good one at that price. Look on it as an investment, though - If you spend $600-$800US on a VM, it'll never go down in value (unless you trash it).

Archived