Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul or explorer???

creamygibson

Hi there!!

What would make your choice between these two models? The look, the sound, the price? Once explorers have got the same pups of les paul classics, i think the sound would be the "same". In look terms, i prefer les pauls, but the price range of explorers are invencible (and look at the case they include, seems like the dracula's coffin, with purple velvet...).

Bottom line: explorers or les pauls, both are very good rock&blues guitars.

What do you think?

Regards!

PS - Obviously, the les paul standard has a slightly different sound, with more bass&treble, less mids, and a bit more gain, but it costs a lot more....

i have both. definitely prefer the les paul.

i play at home sitting down, so weight and fret access on the LP is no issue. playing the explorer sitting down is like playing a coffee table with strings.

+1

Hehe :)

Never heard it described like that - but it's true.

Playing live with it is a pain too. Very' date=' very top heavy.

[/quote']

lol my wife came up with that . she hates my explorer. she also calls it "the trapezoid."

Ahh nice, Les Paul vs. Explorer thread.

I own both and really it's apples to oranges.

The Explorer is an AWESOME guitar. I've owned mine for 10+ years and have gigged the hell out of it.

The shape is deceiving, it's not as awkward as it looks whether sitting or standing (at least for me). Upper frets are way more accessible on the Explorer. The neck is very comfortable, I have 60's necks on my LP's and this is thicker but comfortably thicker. (that's what she said)...

Shape-wise it does kind of scream METAL (Allen Collins aside). The Les Paul is a more classic shape, rock to blues to jazz.

As far as sound, my Explorer has 496R neck, 500T bridge, a combo none of my LP's have so I can't compare. The body thickness is pretty close but the Explorer is bigger, not sure how that figures into the sound equation. I've used the Explorer mainly in a metal band but also for a year in a 70's cover band and it handled it all no problem.

Don't get me wrong, I love LP's and always have. But price was probably the deciding factor for me back then. I dig the Explorer shape too so that didn't hurt.

I guess I'm not going to be of much help. Buy one and save up for the other...

check it out:

giball.jpg

PS oh yeah, my Explorer has the 90's tan case with pink interior. that's the only negative I can think of. good luck

i have both. definitely prefer the les paul.

i play at home sitting down' date=' so weight and fret access on the LP is no issue. playing the explorer sitting down is like playing a coffee table with strings.[/quote']

I think you are in the lead for best comment 2009 - hilarious!

As for the decision, it's a no brainer - go w/the LP first. Should you still want the Explorer down the line, you can always add it to your collection. I'd consider the LP much more of a staple than the Explorer, which I consider more of a fun/additional guitar.

What are you playing now?

Hi there!!

What would make your choice between these two models? The look' date=' the sound, the price? Once explorers have got the same pups of les paul classics, i think the sound would be the "same". In look terms, i prefer les pauls, but the price range of explorers are invencible (and look at the case they include, seems like the dracula's coffin, with purple velvet...).

Bottom line: explorers or les pauls, both are very good rock&blues guitars.

What do you think?

Regards!

PS - Obviously, the les paul standard has a slightly different sound, with more bass&treble, less mids, and a bit more gain, but it costs a lot more....[/quote']

explorers and les paul are most definitely not going to sound the same. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the case either, I thought all Gibson USA guitars come with black cases w/ white interior? My advice would be to go to a music store, play both and then decide based on sound, playability, feel etc.

i think u should definitely get the les paul first. get explorer later unless you are extremely adamant about getting the explorer because of price, style, fit for your playing/image style, etc.

explorers and les paul are most definitely not going to sound the same. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the case either' date=' I thought all Gibson USA guitars come with black cases w/ white interior? My advice would be to go to a music store, play both and then decide based on sound, playability, feel etc.[/quote']

i have a black/black gibson case. so no they don't all come with white interior. +1 on going into stores and testing both out rigorously. put them through their paces (without destroying it ha) and leave the store. think it over then come back and buy the winner hehe

As far as sound and feel goes, you really have to try them out for yourself. What is best for me might be totally wrong for you.

I love them both but chose an LP as my long-term partner. The Explorer is a great shape but, for me, just a little bit silly now my gigging days are over. I'd still like to have a Natural finish one, however.

On a more practical side (dull, I know), the LP can sit just about anywhere you leave it but, because of the shape of the explorer's as$ it will need a little more care.

If you're not performing live regularly' date=' I would steer clear of the Explorer. The Explorer makes a great stage guitar, but if you're going to be playing at home with low volume, the Les Paul will sound a lot better. My opinions, YMMV.[/quote']

+1!

It's actually not that difficult so long as you have access to both in a shop that will let you sit/stand wand play them.

Guitars are very personal so it comes down down to what feels right to you. I've been fortunate enough to acquire a Les Paul and 3 other Gibsons. All nice but they ALL have something negative as well.

I actually don't like Strats all that much but after playing a 57 reissue I was in love. It's comfortable and great to noodle around on. It's the the guitar equivalent of a pair of slippers. Not to venture outside with but lovely at home.

Anyway, the point is, try them both and whatever feels right, then go for it. You can always upgrade pickups to alter the tone (I've done it on 3 of mine, but the guitar itself has to feel right. If the Les Paul works and you can't afford it yet, wait and save.

Over and out

PS, my next guitar will be an Explorer. I REALLY hope Gibson will release a P90 equipped black or natural version in their 2009 Limited Series.

Is that a Jimmy Page sig in the middle? Reason I ask is the missing cover on the bridge pickup.

No' date=' not a JP sig, it's 2007 Standard Gingerburst, but the Page look is what I was going for. I replaced the covered Burstbucker Pro with a black 498T.

Your collection is beyond words. I absolutely love it. Can I hate you now? #-o

:);) =P~](*,)

haha hate away!

Is that smiley a decal or photo shopped? I love it

Yea' date=' an [b']EVIL[/b] smiley sticker. Good eye!

Archived