Gibson Brands Forums

WHere To Get Original Les Pauls?

gibsonoriginalwanter

Most good-sized guitar shows will have 58-60 burst or two. Two years ago the Orlando show had three in that era - all between $200' date='000 and $350,000. The picture below was from last year - not sure of the price on this one - I didn't ask.

[img']http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/morettaj/IMG_0023-1.jpg[/img]

That's hysterical. This is a photo I took at a guitar show in Orange County (CA) about two years ago. Think it might be the same guitar, same dealer?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IP_AF2_ZiZnd55lNiNvH9w?authkey=Gv1sRgCLir7IqxlsKMmwE&feat=directlink

The trapeze tailpiece gold top in this shot is a '52, and the asking price was about $25K:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0Ib8EtRZqUgM6okCylIv_w?authkey=Gv1sRgCLir7IqxlsKMmwE&feat=directlink

This is a '54 Custom with a bar post pickup in the neck position -- original that way!:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AfwLSDEp3KQMhc_0528lXg?authkey=Gv1sRgCLir7IqxlsKMmwE&feat=directlink

I imagine that huge is in the eye of the beholder. (I know... "that's what she said!") 8-[

I'd have to say...uh...it's not huge (that's also what she said).

I've notched up playing 16 original '59 bursts so far (within the last five years or so, at various vintage shows and shops), and I gotta say that I really don't get that there's a big deal there other than the collector frenzy. It's just an old Les Paul. And as for that whole mythical thing about there being some mystical mojo or some "perfect meeting of metal and wood" and all that other lavish and flowery media prose; Nah.

That's hysterical. This is a photo I took at a guitar show in Orange County (CA) about two years ago. Think it might be the same guitar' date=' same dealer?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IP_AF2_ZiZnd55lNiNvH9w?authkey=Gv1sRgCLir7IqxlsKMmwE&feat=directlink [/quote']

Looks like the same one to me. Same handwriting on the tag even. I guess if you can afford that inventory, you can afford to fly it around the country and call it a business!

I can't believe they are available just like that (if you have the money of course). I thought they were near impossible to get hold of.

Has anyone actually played one? I would love to hear what all the hype is about.

I was in L.A. this summer and at the Guitar Center on sunset Blvd they had the vintage showcase in the back.....

I was just lookin around and saw a little room off to the side... I went in... There was this old Marshall with a note on it: 1965 Marshall Plexi... If that wasnt enough.. I look over and see two DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS LP's... A really nice almost lemon burst plain-top LP that says 1958 on the card... and the other in a very good Cherry flame that says 1959!!! They were behind a glass case...

I thought to myself "This is what the Jews must have felt when they entered the Holy of Holys with the Ark of the Covenant!!! This older employee came over and said "There nice aren't there" I said "Just a little bit"... Then he brought out some keys and opened the case... I think a tear swelled up... He asked "which one".... I shiz my pants....(jk) He gave me the 58 and a cable..... I was really expecting the heavens to open up and take me to guitar heaven but it sounded not all that much different than some Ri's and USA's a lil bit of disappointment swept across my face.... But I was still floored as it was incredible.....

Then he gave me the '59....... It was THE finest example of a Les Paul Ive ever seen or heard a very nice flame and it sang.... I mean sang!!!!!!! However once the adrenaline settled I noticed the same thing as the '58.... Not a massivly huge difference from other AMAZING Les Pauls Ive played from Norlins to 08 Custom Shops......

Bottom line: WAY TOO MUCH HYPE!! They ar4e INCREDIBLE but in no way worth 250,000-300,000 dollars... Maybe 100,000 to 150,000 for only the best.... But I would defiantly choose this over a Ferrari if i had the money....

The trapeze tailpiece gold top in this shot is a '52' date=' and the asking price was about $25K:[/quote']

1 I notice holes drilled for a bridge in the '52

2 I've heard the trapeze tailpiece makes these guitars almost unplayable.

1 I notice holes drilled for a bridge in the '52

2 I've heard the trapeze tailpiece makes these guitars almost unplayable.

The large holes are for a stop tail-piece which suggests it had, at some point, been fitted with an ABR-1 and STP. This would have caused massive problems if the neck wasn't also re-set at the same time as the shallower neck angle neccessary for the Trapeze wouldn't allow an action to be set that was remotely playable with the ABR-1.

It is, of course, possible that it had been fully converted one way (to make it more playable) and then re-converted to make it 'Original'.

Just wondering where i should look to try and get an original les paul electric (59) or from the 60s' date=' cheers[/quote']

I highly recommend you check out a late model Custom Shop Reissue 1959 Std. A 50th would be a nice way to go if you can locate one to your liking. And with all the coin saved from buy a real one, I would recommend an investment in Gold bullion.

Most good-sized guitar shows will have 58-60 burst or two. Two years ago the Orlando show had three in that era - all between $200' date='000 and $350,000. The picture below was from last year - not sure of the price on this one - I didn't ask.

[img']http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk261/morettaj/IMG_0023-1.jpg[/img]

Just curious, is that a slot head or Phillips screw on the p/g? It looks like a slot head but zooming makes it too fuzzy to be certain....

Just wondering where i should look to try and get an original les paul electric (59) or from the 60s' date=' cheers[/quote']
not neccessarily original' date=' just fairly early, how do you get hold of ones from the 60s?[/quote']

okay then what about 68-75?

No offense, but it seems to me like you really don't know what you want, what it costs or even where to find what you think you want. If I were you, I'd buy a new one or a fairly recent used one and save yourself a pile of money; Gibson still makes great playing guitars even if you don't get the bragging rights associated with an old one.

what i'm looking for is a fairly old, old enough to increase in value, gibson LP, so that if i need to sell it on it wont have lost any value whatsoever, hence why i am not buying a reissue, preferabley <£2500[$4000ish] if that hlps give an idea of what year would be suitable, living in the UK also, cheers, sorry if i was unclear, not an expert in these grounds

I doubt you'll find anything before '68 for that much money.

Everybody wants a Gibson Les Paul that will increase in value, that's why they don't! Because EVERYBODY has one.

For $4,000, you should find one form the early 70s. Chances are, they'll appreciate.

Just trying to be helpful but for that money you're not going to get a 'blue-chip' Les Paul.

On the other hand there have been some fantastic bargains to be had in the UK in the SG camp. Some of these early models will, surely, appreciate considerably in the fairly near future.

Do you wish to buy to play or to invest?

I think we should be told - after all; we are giving you the benefit of our time and knowledge.

I doubt you'll find anything before '68 for that much money.

Everybody wants a Gibson Les Paul that will increase in value' date=' that's why they don't! Because EVERYBODY has one.

For $4,000, you should find one form the early 70s. Chances are, they'll appreciate.[/quote']

He is right most of the les paul that arent limted (if custom might go up) wont go up in time because of mass production and the fact that alot of ppl own one.

Actually, several thousand people did what you want to do, but they did it back in the '80s and '90s.

That particular train left the station years ago (a '59 available for a low price that'll appreciate in value). In fact, I would expect that, unless the economy does something remarkable soon, LPs are more likely to depreciate as fewer dollars chase the existing guitars. Buying a '59 for the inflated prices being asked right now is about like paying top dollar for dot.com stock just before the bust...and, even if it isn't, we may have hit a peak.

If you're looking for a player, on the other hand (and nothing you've said suggests that you are) a Norlin-era LP is generally available for a reasonable price, but it would be unlikely to go up in value significantly.

what i'm looking for is a fairly old' date=' old enough to increase in value, gibson LP, so that if i need to sell it on it wont have lost any value whatsoever, hence why i am not buying a reissue, preferabley <£2500[$4000ish'] if that hlps give an idea of what year would be suitable, living in the UK also, cheers, sorry if i was unclear, not an expert in these grounds

I got some shocking news for you man, once you buy it, it will never increase in value.

You see, the people selling them nowadays are professionals that make a living out of selling vintage stuff, which means they make a living out of creating and enforcing that hype that comes with vintage stuff.

You buy a guitar from them for 150K and you think you made a good investment.

You should ask yourself 2 questions:

-will I play that guitar?

-will I keep the guitar stored in a bank vault or something so that it doesn't change a bit and it is safe, and I can go there and look at her every once in a while?

If you plan on playing her she will not retain any value... and most 59s are not that playable

If you plan on having it on a vault... then she might not decrease in value, but keeping her there will cost you, and if you are forced to sell her, then the same guy you gave 150K for her, will probably give you 50K for her. Remember those guys make a living out of that, so paying you 150 would mean he lent you the guitar, and dont expect to sell it yourself, you are not a pro at that and wouldnt get anything near what a pro can get.

Better go out and buy a nice r9, they will not increase in value but if you need to sell her you will be able to sell her for a good chunk of what it costed you (way more than the 30% you would get for your vintage 59 giutar).

Just my opinion and not meant to offend any vintage guitar salesmen in the forum.

As much as I personally hate to admit it (being a persnickety cuss, and usually contrary) the fuss is about well built, occasionally beautiful instruments that sound incredible and play like......we'll let pretty darn good sum it up. All of us old enough to remember them as "old guitars" before the market went insane and actually played them know the tone and feel of the '50s Les Pauls were incomparable. I was always more of a P90 lovere myself, and gravitated to gold tops or plain tops just cause the figuring in the top didn't do anything other than make people go "Ooooohh". I have owned a couple of Historic Black Beauties (54 & 57 w/bigsbys) that were about as close as you can get but there is something about that old growth wood.......:)

what about getting a r9-r0? are they not an option?

Very much so Phil. I have been pro in the music biz since the mid 60's and have had many Les Paul's over the years including Customs from 68 and 72 but although nice guitars wouldn't hold a candle up against a 2003 R0 Historic I picked up from a dealer friend of mine in the States.

He phoned me here in the UK to tell me he'd found this R0 with an amazing tone and which sustained for a month of Sundays. I bought it and had it shiped over and it was everything he said it was.. And more.. The whole headstock shakes for a month of Sundays and when you hold it' date=' you can feel the vibrations through the body on your body.

Part of the answer of course lies in the long neck tenon join, which is the same as the originals and the slimmer taper neck certainly adds to a different sound in my opinion.

Of course there are good and not so good guitars from eras ( Including origianls ) and it's just a matter of being lucky and finding one that stands out for you personally.

Many peoplewho have never tried one assume an R0 neck is like a 60's Standard, or a Classic, but they couldn't be more wrong. An R0 is a different neck profile altogether. Unlike the shallow elipse of the other two the R0 still retains the 50's shoulders, but is shaved flatter at the back.. Very similar to many Classical guitar neck profiles.

Here's a link to the Les Paul Historic data base and a few pics and description.

LES PAUL HISTORIC DATA BASE..2003 Custom shop 'HAPPY HUMPHREY'

Archived