Gibson Brands Forums

What strings on your Bird TV?

Violeiro

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Elixir nano web 80/20 bronze medium lights on my TV. And, as EM7 noted - OLD.

Yes, I seriously believe the genuine Bird-voice is best delivered by faded steel.  Even have 2 sets of real old factory strings here - one is in action on the May 2012 Bird. 

And they seem to be slightly different from the Masterbuilt Bronze 12s - if judged by the end-balls.  

• Like 2

I never knew about the old strings thing. Is it just the reduced brightness or a mellowed tone you guys dig when using old strings? 

I tried a set of the D'Add Nickel Bronze in the brown package that I've been digging in my SJ for about a month now. It was almost bright for about 2 days. Still bright with the right plectrum, but does whatever I want it to do with whatever pick I'm using. Easy to steer, tonally speaking.  I've been curious how they might do in the 'bird, so will try these next time.

Edited by PatriotsBiker

21 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Much more than just losing the brightness..... mellower, doesn't  ring and chime, tone decay better.  You get to hear the guitar without the strings getting in the way. 

Interesting - thanks for the description.

My other 2 acoustics have had their strings for  few months now. It's my normal time of year for the 2nd 6-month change cycle, but each one is sounding like a million bucks - and for many of the reasons you describe. The strings I mentioned earlier seemingly jumped straight into this state within just a few days. 

On 10/13/2019 at 3:35 AM, E-minor7 said:

Yes, I seriously believe the genuine Bird-voice is best delivered by faded steel.  Even have 2 sets of real old factory strings here - one is in action on the May 2012 Bird. 

And they seem to be slightly different from the Masterbuilt Bronze 12s - if judged by the end-balls.  

Yeah, Id agree that nectar comes out best with old piping, but jeeez it sounds so quiet then, dont you think ?

You really need to dig in with the pick to get some projection out and fingers ...might as well have them all acrylics.

Its proabably why I favour the Dove,  has that nectar syrup, but with old strings the note seperation is still clear, projection is strong, but also super warm.

Edited by EuroAussie

13 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

Yeah, Id agree that nectar comes out best with old piping, but jeeez it sounds so quiet then, dont you think ?

You really need to dig in with the pick to get some projection out and fingers ...might as well have them all acrylics.

Its proabably why I favour the Dove,  has that nectar syrup, but with old strings the note seperation is still clear, projection is strong, but also super warm.

Of my 2 2012 Birds the one called April is actually quite loud (has a higher bridge !?!). The other (May) is quieter, but also sweeter and more birdish

I wouldn't take May to an acoustic jam session, but it would the last of them to go. It's a real keeper and the best I've heard so far - went through 4 contemporaries. 

Playing it alone is pure pleasure - so distinct, defined and flourishing, , , let's say glazed. 

But yes, the longer Dove has more of everything as you mentioned before. Still the Hummingbird flies a space of its own, , , and rules there. .  

On 10/13/2019 at 9:49 AM, PatriotsBiker said:

Interesting - thanks for the description.

My other 2 acoustics have had their strings for  few months now. It's my normal time of year for the 2nd 6-month change cycle, but each one is sounding like a million bucks - and for many of the reasons you describe. The strings I mentioned earlier seemingly jumped straight into this state within just a few days. 

OHHHHHHHHHHHH!!  I get it, now.

I can be taught - it just takes a while.

Elixir nanoweb 80/20  .12-.53  and as was said..OLD, and played in.  My current Elixirs are on my bird three years. With a newly installed Elixir set, I particularly love when the Elixir strings first begin to show discolor at the pick contact areas, and the finger positions. For me, that is when the strings are ripe and ready to play for another three years. Depending on how hard my guitar is worked and played, that string change time can vary between 6 months and three years. Ironically, most people remove the Elixirs when the string coating appears to wear or discolor. I find THAT is the prime time to play it for a long, long time, with no further change in tone quality. They soften and mellow, just delicious.

Edited by ALD323

7 hours ago, ALD323 said:

Elixir nanoweb 80/20  .12-.53  and as was said..OLD, and played in. 

Not a big fan of coated strings here, but actually have Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 lights on the campfire guitar, an Inspired by 1964 Texan.

Feel tempted to take them off and place them on a TV. Your description and experience come close to what I'm after in my Birds.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:36 AM, E-minor7 said:

Not a big fan of coated strings here, but actually have Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 lights on the campfire guitar, an Inspired by 1964 Texan.

Feel tempted to take them off and place them on a TV. Your description and experience come close to what I'm after in my Birds.

don't like Elixirs either -- but on my Bird TV they sound right -- after a month or so 🙂 Then they last indefinitely.... 

• Thanks 1

Hojo199's comment: ((  -- but on my Bird TV they sound right -- after a month or so 🙂 Then they last indefinitely....))This is my experience also....a month or so of play in and aging...then they last almost indefinately. You'll have to force yourself to change them. As the tone softens and stabalizes, and remains that way, sometimes a few years.

Edited by ALD323