Gibson Brands Forums

What Were 2005 Doves Like?

BluesKing777

The government is going to buy me a guitar with all the too much tax I paid coming back!  Haven't got it yet, already spending it.\:D/

I will have to dig in to the car/guitar fund for a bit but there is a 2005 Dove at a pawn shop with, quote: "lots of finish wear and a faded signature".

They also have a Bird with a broken wing (bent tuner), another $1000 on top of the Dove.

BluesKing777.

I used to borrow the house guitar at The Bedford in Balham which was a 2004 Dove, and was excellent...in fact the guitar that ignited my love for the Dove. If it's well played, it's probably a good 'un. I'd go along and try it!

16 minutes ago, Jinder said:

I used to borrow the house guitar at The Bedford in Balham which was a 2004 Dove, and was excellent...in fact the guitar that ignited my love for the Dove. If it's well played, it's probably a good 'un. I'd go along and try it!

My local pub guitar is a hondo 

What kind of posh place are you drinking in 🤣

The price is irrelevant to the US readers, Holiday Hoser......everything is at least double the price new. This 2005er is about a 1/3 the cost of a newie.

The ad says it has a 3 piece neck, not sure I want a 3 piece Gibson neck. Is that normal?

I don’t have the cash yet from the nice taxman so I won’t put the ad up or someone else will nab it....I have to wait 2 - 3 weeks! Oh murder, oh murder, 3 weeks I may expire before that. Something else has to go to make a rack space...I had a 2006 HD28v refretted to sell and now I can’t part with it with the new frets making it a ...stunner. ES125 archtop maybe a gonner. Nope, it is going to be tricky as I have pruned all the branches and only have nice grapes left.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

11 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

The price is irrelevant to the US readers, Holiday Hoser......everything is at least double the price new. This 2005er is about a 1/3 the cost of a newie.

The ad says it has a 3 piece neck, not sure I want a 3 piece Gibson neck. Is that normal?

I don’t have the cash yet from the nice taxman so I won’t put the ad up or someone else will nab it....I have to wait 2 - 3 weeks! Oh murder, oh murder, 3 weeks I may expire before that. Something else has to go to make a rack space...I had a 2006 HD28v refretted to sell and now I can’t part with it with the new frets making it a ...stunner. ES125 archtop maybe a gonner. Nope, it is going to be tricky as I have pruned all the branches and only have nice grapes left.

BluesKing777.

Yep three piece neck is par for the course with a Dove, all of mine have had three piecers. My former bandmate's Custom Shop Dove had a five piece neck!

Cool, thanks!

Big news! This afternoon, I got a text from the Taxman to say my payment will be in my bank in 3 working days....didn’t say how much though, but it could be long drive to a certain music shop on the weekend?

They have 5 or 6 Gibsons I could try while there. (Including a early 1960 Bird for a bargain price of $AU12,500 smackeroonies! Can’t buy it but I would love to play it.🤠

BluesKing777

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Cool, thanks!

Big news! This afternoon, I got a text from the Taxman to say my payment will be in my bank in 3 working days....didn’t say how much though, but it could be long drive to a certain music shop on the weekend?

They have 5 or 6 Gibsons I could try while there. (Including a early 1960 Bird for a bargain price of $AU12,500 smackeroonies! Can’t buy it but I would love to play it.🤠

BluesKing777

I reckon you'd get some really good mileage out of a Dove, BK. Mine is warm and juicy and wonderful. A strong all rounder but in particular probably the best strummer I've ever owned. Different from the brighter, more percussive SJ200 tone, it's big and full with trebles that sound like warm brass bells. Great songwriting guitar, and quite different from your other steeds...fingers crossed that the taxman cashes out in the way you're hoping for!

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

I reckon you'd get some really good mileage out of a Dove, BK. Mine is warm and juicy and wonderful. A strong all rounder but in particular probably the best strummer I've ever owned. Different from the brighter, more percussive SJ200 tone, it's big and full with trebles that sound like warm brass bells. Great songwriting guitar, and quite different from your other steeds...fingers crossed that the taxman cashes out in the way you're hoping for!

Thanks Jinder.

The government is sadistic by not telling me when the cash will be in, or how much -   I have checked my online account approximately 4 million times - they should have said it will be in your account at 3pm on X, not sometime in the fullness of time Minister shite.🥺

The car is running!

I have only heard Mark Agnesi fingerpickng a few 60s Doves.....the pawn shop has a few Gibsons including a 2002 J45, a 2017 Bird, a 2017 Southern Jumbo, a cherry 2017 J45, a rosewood 2017 J45, a gulp....1960 Bird....

Plan is - I will calmly walk in the shop and pick up a Cordoba or something to keep the salesguy off my back and then sneak over to some cheapie copies and then siddle over to the Gibbies...

BluesKing777.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

....the pawn shop has a few Gibsons including a 2002 J45, a 2017 Bird, a 2017 Southern Jumbo, a cherry 2017 J45, a rosewood 2017 J45, a gulp....1960 Bird....

BluesKing777.

Good luck BK - hopefully there's at least 1 keeper in there, but I think you should plan on walking out with several.

2 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

.....the pawn shop has a few Gibsons including a 2002 J45, a 2017 Bird, a 2017 Southern Jumbo, a cherry 2017 J45, a rosewood 2017 J45, a gulp....1960 Bird....

Plan is - I will calmly walk in the shop and pick up a Cordoba or something to keep the salesguy off my back and then sneak over to some cheapie copies and then siddle over to the Gibbies...

BluesKing777.

Whoa, I wish there was a pawn shop like that around here......great plan, BK, hope it works out for you.

2 hours ago, billroy said:

Good luck BK - hopefully there's at least 1 keeper in there, but I think you should plan on walking out with several.

That is pure evil, Billroy. 😎

And Joe M, It IS a pawn shop and you gets what you gets. Usually something unplayable without some great expense.... and the occasional cherry. I have the very best mechanic ready and available! My concern is why there are 4 or 5 Gibson acoustics from 2017. Did something happen in 2017 I am not aware of, or was it the general unwinding before going bust?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

5 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Thanks Jinder.

The government is sadistic by not telling me when the cash will be in, or how much -   I have checked my online account approximately 4 million times - they should have said it will be in your account at 3pm on X, not sometime in the fullness of time Minister shite.🥺

The car is running!

I have only heard Mark Agnesi fingerpickng a few 60s Doves.....the pawn shop has a few Gibsons including a 2002 J45, a 2017 Bird, a 2017 Southern Jumbo, a cherry 2017 J45, a rosewood 2017 J45, a gulp....1960 Bird....

BluesKing777.

Anyone would think you've done this before!! 🤣

Everything crossed for you...a good Dove is a wonderful thing!

7 hours ago, Jinder said:

Anyone would think you've done this before!! 🤣

I have done this before and I don't appear to have learned......anything.

So I will drive up, run in, ask where the Dove is and give my game plan away, and any chance of a lower price.😓

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Thanks BBG and 62B!

Early times as yet, but all seems....fab!

It may be a frac high at the nut, fine with a capo, sounds great!

They said it came with a Baggs pickup, so I assumed Element, but I think I have scored a full Anthem. Wow.

(I took a roll of photos earlier, 62B, but on perusal the red has bled to the yellow wrong. Too dark and rainy out there?)

BluesKing777......back to it!