Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Martin

Violeiro

49 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Spelled Kool-Aid wrong.   You're welcome! 🙂

39 minutes ago, olie said:

While we're at it; there's "Scandinavian" and "disparage" if we're deducting marks for spelling.And YOU are welcome.

Even from you two, I expected better than this.

Never mind the distracting nonsense about spelling, nothing to say about the content?

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

16 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I am about to play my Lowdens for a while - they have wood bindings and probably the very best workmanship, but as the song goes...’Everything put together falls apart’ (Simon).

Glue is the problem!

BluesKing777.

I’ve never seen one except for the 3 times I saw Richard Thompson play one live. I would love to try one out.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’ve never seen one except for the 3 times I saw Richard Thompson play one live. I would love to try one out.

Whether you would like playing one or not, everyone is different and the Lowdens are still pieces of wood once they leave their bench, but Lowden are known for impeccable worksmanship and quality control, stunning.......nothing, nothing leaves there without being perfect!

Finish is hand rubbed many, many times. Lots of sanding!

Here is my 2015 approx Lowden O22 - believe it or not there are 2 pieces of wood on the back and front! Beautifully made! The O22 is a standard model.

Click here to see a large version

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

8 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Even from you two, I expected better than this.

Never mind the distracting nonsense about spelling, nothing to say about the content?

RBSinTo

Thanks for fixing the spelling errors. The content could use work too. 
(Was that what you were looking for?) 

• 1 month later...

I'm about 80/20 Martin. Or, at least on the ones I own. I don't own a rosewood Martin (D-18), and the thing is just... it's like a harp of a guitar. My Gibson is a beautiful sounding Gibson, but the Martin sound is just something extra. I don't know if it's the projection, the sustain, the resonance, or what. But it's absolutely stunning to play.

I will say this though: the Gibson makes a better singer-songwriter instrument. At least if you're talking performing. The D-18 is a lot harder to tame live.

Edited by Sevendaymelee

6 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

I'm about 80/20 Martin. Or, at least on the ones I own. I don't own a rosewood Martin (D-18), and the thing is just... it's like a harp of a guitar. My Gibson is a beautiful sounding Gibson, but the Martin sound is just something extra. I don't know if it's the projection, the sustain, the resonance, or what. But it's absolutely stunning to play.

I will say this though: the Gibson makes a better singer-songwriter instrument. At least if you're talking performing. The D-18 is a lot harder to tame live.

A D-18 is a great guitar. I’ve owned 2. I fell for Martins smaller bodied guitars and currently have a 00-18, 00-28, 000-18, 000-28 a 12er (Martins J size), and kept the D-15M as my go anywhere beat the snot out of guitar.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

A D-18 is a great guitar. I’ve owned 2. I fell for Martins smaller bodied guitars and currently have a 00-18, 00-28, 000-18, 000-28 a 12er (Martins J size), and kept the D-15M as my go anywhere beat the snot out of guitar.

I've been thinking about a 00 or a 000 as a way to own a Martin that's more singer-songwriter worthy, because I really favor the Martin tone. I know the D-18, 28, 35,41,45 etc. have all been used by them, but man... this D-18 is so difficult to tame. Without a mic, you either have to seriously focus on the dynamics of your strumming hand, or you have to strain your voice in order to get over the top of it if you want to perform.

16 hours ago, Sevendaymelee said:

I've been thinking about a 00 or a 000 as a way to own a Martin that's more singer-songwriter worthy, because I really favor the Martin tone. I know the D-18, 28, 35,41,45 etc. have all been used by them, but man... this D-18 is so difficult to tame. Without a mic, you either have to seriously focus on the dynamics of your strumming hand, or you have to strain your voice in order to get over the top of it if you want to perform.

If you’re a Singer-Guitar Player it’s  important to focus on Dynamics with any Guitar.. That’s the key to a great performance. With or without Mics, Amps & PA’s… 

A simple technique; play softer when singing & louder when you’re not.. I know it sounds elementary but give it a try. You’ll be surprised..