Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Martin

Violeiro

On 10/3/2019 at 9:17 PM, MissouriPicker said:

I don't know that Gibson is better than Martin, or if Martin is better than Gibson.  All I can do is buy/play the guitars I like.  To my old eyes, several years back Martin guitars all started looking kind of plain and vanilla and all-alike......and they were being given names like gpcx1ae, dx2ae, 0x2mae, and other code names I don't have the patience or interest to learn.  I still look for the old D28 and other real Martin dreads.   Yeah, they can look kind of plain, but they're monsters....... Anyway, I prefer Gibsons.  I think they help me play as well as I can.  I find them very comfortable to play.  I find more of "me" in them.  They're kind of like an extension of who I am.   I might still get another Martin some day, but it will have to be one of their real guitars, like a D28 or maybe one of the Johnny Cash D35s.  In the long run, I'm a Gibson guy.

I am the same way -- D28, D18, D35, J45, J50, Hummingbird ... the tried and true models that have been with me my whole life.

Now -- to the question at hand -- Gibsons, Guilds and Martins all play well over here. It changes daily -- I swear. There are times I pick up my 1966 D18 and swear I will sell all the others. Likewise with my 2013 Hummingbird True Vintage -- and my J45 and my Guild D40.... If they weren't great, I would wouldn't own them. And I do sell off guitars that no longer speak to me. But I think I'm done with that. I shed about 1/3 of my collection last year because I needed money for the tax man (It was nasty.) But now, I'm happy with this crew. Very!

• 1 year later...

I have a martin d28 and it’s awesome but I have a takamine  d18 copy from the lawsuit days and it’s literally as good as the Martin. I play several gibsons and they never let me down . J185CE , J50deluxe , LG-1, and of course the J-45. The J-45 is my newest addition to my collection and it’s pretty great sounds like a Gibson with that great thump sound . Lately my favorite is my Taylor 214 . It’s low end and it sounds like an old Martin from the 30s . My guild G-37 sounds like Martin and Gibson had a baby . At the end of the day a guitar speaks to the player. I personally just love the instrument whoever the maker is there are good and bad. When shopping for a guitar , play it. If it inspires you , then it’s a good one . If it don’t then move on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it was John and George playing a Gibson acoustic that originally made me want to get one. I bought a J 45 custom in 2011 for my 51st birthday and have never looked back. I had a custom shop J 45 acacia and a five star quilt J200. I lost them all in the fire of 2018 that burned through Malibu. Now I’m starting over. I love Gibson acoustics.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 7:47 PM, Tman said:

Maybe it was John and George playing a Gibson acoustic that originally made me want to get one. I bought a J 45 custom in 2011 for my 51st birthday and have never looked back. I had a custom shop J 45 acacia and a five star quilt J200. I lost them all in the fire of 2018 that burned through Malibu. Now I’m starting over. I love Gibson acoustics.

Tman,   I seem to remember your writing about that here.  It's great to know you are getting back to normal.   I cannot imagine losing everything in a fire.  Hope you will continue to move forward.  I guess when we get to a point where we are 'happy'  or at least at peace - we are able to enjoy playing.   Sounds like you are there !   Home !   

• Like 1

Elvis, John, Paul & George played Martins & Gibsons.. So I wanted Martins & Gibsons too.. Got my Martin D-35 in 1975 & still have it.. Got my Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E in late ‘90’s.. Since then I’ve added a few more Martins, Gibsons & Epi’s. But, the D-35 & the J-160E are my favorites.. They always sound right…

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Friends, I read through the discussions and I admire the passion about guitars. 

I have been playing guitar for about 30years. Played guitars not costing more than a couple of hundred dollars. This holiday season I want to treat myself with either a Gibson or a Martin. Could you give suggestions about how to go about. What would you recommend. Thanks. 

Dennis,

please open a new thread… not because I am the police, but because your question will reach more people who will offer advice…

I’ll repeat my answer if you do open a new thread, but I want to know what and how you play? Eagles strumming? Country blues Doc Watson style? Folk? Do you like big guitars? Smaller?

without knowing the answer, these are the models I think you need to retry if you can. I love them all. Martin D-18. Martin D-28. Martin D15. Martin 00-15. Gibson J-45. Gibson LG-2. Gibson SJ200

play that range, and the sound you want will speak to you.

14 hours ago, Dennis w said:

Friends, I read through the discussions and I admire the passion about guitars. 

I have been playing guitar for about 30years. Played guitars not costing more than a couple of hundred dollars. This holiday season I want to treat myself with either a Gibson or a Martin. Could you give suggestions about how to go about. What would you recommend. Thanks. 

If you  want to hold a guitar, and play before your buy, right now is not a good time to do that. Most stores are cleared out of all the more expensive guitars. Even so, back when guitar were on the racks unless you can get to a big store, from my experience most Guitar Centers have one D-28, one J-45, maybe a Hummingbird and a 000-15 for the high end guitars.

I have been playing 55+ years and still play and love a couple of guitars which cost me 1/3 of what a Gibson J45 or Martin D18 would have run me at the time.   Perhaps there is a certain wisdom in going with the flagship model of a more budget friendly brand than a lower down the food chain offering of one of the big sexy factories.

If you can try a Martin 15 series all Hog guitar. They make a 00-15, 000-15, Dread and a OMC-15ME (cutaway and electronics) model. For the price with a hard shell case, for a USA made guitar it is a steal.  

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

We always had...and still have many guitars within the family.

So I've been exposed to Martins, Guilds, Fenders, Ovations, Yamahas, and on and on.

I'm very easy to please....I like to have the best.

Martins feel good in my hands....and Les Pauls or SG's are fantastic guitars....but.... Acoustic guitars should be Gibsons and electric guitars should be Fenders, (for me).

I wouldn't own a Fender Acoustic nor a Gibson Electric...not because they are or aren't better...just because that's the way I'm wired.

Oddly enough, I have a Schecter C1 Classic...and it's a GREAT guitar, (I prefer it over my Strat)....but I got it from my cousin's estate...so I'm stuck with it.

I also have two custom-built "Tele-Style" guitars my cousin made....so I could never get rid of those....(one I like ... the other I like the looks of).

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Perhaps there is a certain wisdom in going with the flagship model of a more budget friendly brand than a lower down the food chain offering of one of the big sexy factories.

Zombywoof, you're probably right. But the sound and feel of my J-15 still knocks my socks off. And that originally was sold as Gibson's "budget" model.  I agree with sgt. Pepper about the 15 series being a steal with martin, and I think a used J-15 is the same case for Gibson.

22 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

Zombywoof, you're probably right. But the sound and feel of my J-15 still knocks my socks off. And that originally was sold as Gibson's "budget" model.  I agree with sgt. Pepper about the 15 series being a steal with martin, and I think a used J-15 is the same case for Gibson.

Yeah when Gibson made the J-15's those were at a great price and you got a case.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper