Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Buttons

Steve Painter

My "other" main guitar is a Strat, whose front strap button, on the top horn, lines up roughly with the 12th fret, giving a nice balance and playing position. So, for improved balance and (more importantly) playing position, can I go ahead and relocate my 335's button from the back of the neck to the top horn? I realise this won't place it as far forward as on a Strat, but there should be some worthwhile improvement, so long as the hollow body side can support the weight of the guitar long term. I know this is a common fix on SG type guitars, for example - but for a hollow body ..... ?

Reason for asking? I have a back problem and I want the guitar kind of tucked under my arm (like BB King!) without having to use my arm to hold it there.

Thanks!

Steve

4 hours ago, Steve Painter said:

My "other" main guitar is a Strat, whose front strap button, on the top horn, lines up roughly with the 12th fret, giving a nice balance and playing position. So, for improved balance and (more importantly) playing position, can I go ahead and relocate my 335's button from the back of the neck to the top horn? I realise this won't place it as far forward as on a Strat, but there should be some worthwhile improvement, so long as the hollow body side can support the weight of the guitar long term. I know this is a common fix on SG type guitars, for example - but for a hollow body ..... ?

Reason for asking? I have a back problem and I want the guitar kind of tucked under my arm (like BB King!) without having to use my arm to hold it there.

Thanks!

Steve

You can do what you want its yours. It might improve the balance, but the weight of the guitar will not change.  I need another hole in my guitars like I need another wife.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 hours ago, Steve Painter said:

.........so long as the hollow body side can support the weight of the guitar long term. I know this is a common fix on SG type guitars, for example - but for a hollow body ..... ?

There really needs to be a (shaped) block of wood glued to the inside frame of the horn.  Get a mirror and a torch and you may be able to see. 

Otherwise the strap button may tear out.

Before you do that - how short is your strap?  Have you tried shortening it to get that,  er..... underarm  effect?

Good luck!

Edited by jdgm

7 minutes ago, jdgm said:

There really needs to be a (shaped) block of wood glued to the inside frame of the horn.  Get a mirror and a torch and you may be able to see. 

Otherwise the strap button may tear out.

Before you do that - how short is your strap?  Have you tried shortening it to get that,  er..... underarm  effect?

Good luck!

I think the only place there is more wood is the center block. I think the upper and lower bouts are the same as the rest of the  sides.

I have "neck dive" with my ES-330, but it's a 1970 so I'm not going to mod it in any way.

My gigging guitar, Parker DF522NN (Notes Norton 'signature' model) is perfectly balanced and contoured. When I take my hands off, it stays put.

For your 335 you might be better off with one of those old fashioned straps that strap around the headstock like the old Country and Rock-a-Billy guys used to use.

Notes

I'd try Note's suggestion first as fixing a strap button to the upper horn of a hollow body just doesn't offer very much wood to sink it into.  Pretty sure that's why they put them in the base of the neck where it joins the body as there is plenty of wood to dig into.

you can't just drill a hole and put it there as jdgm and twang says.  There's not enough wood,   You would have to find   a way to get a block of wood contoured to the horns interior glued  up and in side that horn to have something for the screw to bite into.  Someone on the Epiphone Electric's forum did this a few years ago,, Might have been TWEED..

Shorten the strap, and if you're using one of those nylon (Seat belt materiel) straps, put that aside, and try a wide suede or brushed leather strap.  The strap material will grip the material on your shirt and prevent it from sliding around.

22 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

It seems like an awkward mod (adding wood to the upper horn). Likely it would devalue the guitar too.

Note's suggestion to use an acoustic style strap (The shoestring around the headstock) is worth playing with.

probably.. after the fact a lot of work..

Gretsch hollow bodies with dual cutaways has their button on the top horn tho which helps it to balance nicely.  My only comparison is my Sheraton which is where the 335s are located.

I causes the guitar to lean forward a bit.  not a show stopper tho..  I wear em kind of high anyway.

I wouldn't drill a hole there & put a Strap Button there. I don't think the wood is thick enough to support long enough Screw to support the Guitars weight. 

Put a Bigsby on it. It will balance the Guitar,  help the Nose dive, improve the Sound (IMO) & look great..

Finding the right place for you to position your Guitar with Strap on does make it more comfortable.. Try adjusting Strap length to see what is most comfortable for you.

Edited by Larsongs