Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone else ever found this? Bad / ok / good tenon joint?!

Burty459

Afternoon all,

I have been asking around and this also seemed a good place to ask.

I just got a Low serial number January 2017 les paul custom standard plain top, but on investigation I found the tenon in the attached photos.

any thoughts on this?

feels solid, looks awful, but other than that the guitar is a beauty. That joint just doesn’t sit right though.

Thanks.

38E3FAE5-1C8C-42D4-A27E-EEE13BCB022C.jpeg

FC726E0F-E45D-4954-9482-9C601F55E118.jpeg

C422182C-D279-4D57-B0DD-54E87531C852.jpeg

2FDC0CA6-B4D1-4E67-B2C4-7DAF8A4A9396.jpeg

There are metric tonnes of Les Pauls without that "problem".  I put problem in quotes because some would say it is not a problem, others, including my great friend and our best guitar guy in three states who passed on last year would tell me to:

Send It Back.

Good luck.

rct

32 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Well we know the same guy that built Burty's built BB's guitar. I don't think Burty's is as bad Double B's. I would keep it.

I think the one BB had was after a 2 pitcher lunch...  THAT was bad.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

Are you able to return it and do something else?  While I don't think it's a deal breaker, it's probably going to haunt you know that you know it's there. 

Not to mention the old guy like me using his thickest glasses and good eye will see that.  That'll make selling or trading interesting.

rct

Something doesn't look right there.  Exactly what model is this supposed to be?  You said it's a "custom standard", do you mean Custom Shop Standard, and if so is it supposed to be a R8?  The gap between the end of the fretboard and the neck p/u is not right.  Also, I don't see nibs.  Do have some pics of the front and back of the headstock ?

Edited by Black Dog

2 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Something doesn't look right there.  Exactly what model is this supposed to be?  You said it's a "custom standard", do you mean Custom Shop Standard, and if so is it supposed to be a R8?  The gap between the end of the fretboard and the neck p/u is not right.  Also, I don't see nibs.  Do have some pics of the front and back of the headstock ?

This is a 2017 Custom Shop les paul standard plain top, low serial, likely repurposed 2015/16. 
the gap is apparently a more accurate trait, the plastics etc are all true historic and I have been told that it may be a repurposed plain top true historic from 2015. As it’s early 2017 it’s not part of the production run.

Still not right though. 

Edited by Burty459

1 hour ago, Burty459 said:

This is a 2017 Custom Shop les paul standard plain top, low serial, likely repurposed 2015/16. 
the gap is apparently a more accurate trait, the plastics etc are all true historic and I have been told that it may be a repurposed plain top true historic from 2015. As it’s early 2017 it’s not part of the production run.

Still not right though. 

I've seen lots of R8's from that era and they don't have that gap.  Also, the neck binding looks thick, way thicker than a Custom Shop historic.  Looks very odd.  I'd be interested to see pictures of the headstock (front and back) and the control cavity.

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Does historic plastic make it sound better. Marketing guys are the best.

Yeah, sounds older, the plastic is more brittle, acts more like glass so the vibrations at the higher frequencies transmit from the strings to the body with more ease, ergo, better tonal response.

1 minute ago, Burty459 said:

Yeah, sounds older, the plastic is more brittle, acts more like glass so the vibrations at the higher frequencies transmit from the strings to the body with more ease, ergo, better tonal response.

Are you messing with me?

18 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

I've seen lots of R8's from that era and they don't have that gap.  Also, the neck binding looks thick, way thicker than a Custom Shop historic.  Looks very odd.  I'd be interested to see pictures of the headstock (front and back) and the control cavity.

Yeah, I have an R9 that is immaculate. That’s a 2008, I thought with these later ones being so well regarded I’d take the pop. Not the best choice or just unlucky, unfortunately it is what it is. I’m going to get the feeler gauges in there shortly to see how deep it goes.

it is a custom shop, I’ll try add some more pictures but I need to reduce the file size as it won’t let me add them straight from my phone.

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Are you messing with me?

Hahaha yes, of course I am. I don’t buy into all that stuff, I just like to know what’s going on with my guitars and this year in particular seems to have had its fair share of quirks.

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

Are you able to return it and do something else?  While I don't think it's a deal breaker, it's probably going to haunt you know that you know it's there. 

Unfortunately not, I think it’s like you say, I know it’s there. Under further inspection, it seems quite long but shallow, I think there is a v shape and it contacts the body rout as it should further down, the other side isn’t so bad, I’m sure there is plenty of wood contact in there, I may just leave it be. I did read that on older instruments and in some cases newer ones, they left a gap for ease of installation, not sure I’m buying that though, I think this just a little sloppy, not as sloppy as the SG though. Looks like an angry beaver set that neck!