Gibson Brands Forums

J45 strap that will fit around the bottom?

LMW28IF

Depending on the strap material it can mess with the finish on the guitar. I had a Martin Elvis D28 with the leather cover and Mr. Boak advised me not to leave it on the guitar because it would attack the finish. I’ve seen a few guitars listed for sale that had issues due to the strap being left on it in the case. 

21 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Kidblast,

Is there a compelling reason for removing the guitar strap when the instrument is stored? I've owned my D-28 since 1979, and it has had a strap on it ever since, without any problems.

But an even more important question:

Pinegrove indicates that the Strapkeeper is a "free gift" when one buys an instrument strap. When has anyone ever paid for a gift?  Aren't all gifts by definition, free?

Just wondering.

RBSinTo

I always remove the straps.  The reason for that is two fold.  The first is what Dave said, Nitro is easily damaged,  the second is where I use leather or suede straps, they tend to be thick and it just makes sense to me, to just remove them.  

"Free Gift"...  right...  I've too have never "paid" for a GIFT...  then again, I've heard that even freedom, isn't free... so there is that!  🙂

9 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

Three things to NEVER leave attached to a guitar with a nitro finish:

-- a strap

-- a capo

-- a clip-on tuner

dhanners623,

A little unclear on the concept.

Why would Gibson use such a delicate/reactive/tempermental finish on their guitars, when a lacquer finish which looks the same (to my untrained eyes at least) is more durable?

RBSinTo

39 minutes ago, thegreatgumbino said:

I like the looks of the Acoustic Strap Secure that PatriotsBiker linked to earlier in the thread.  Shame it's not in production any longer.

I've had good luck with this one if you have an output jack & aren't using it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCA718C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.273a82d709fd819cbaade8e873e25074.png

thegreatgumbino,

That Strapjack plug is exactly what I made myself. Used a large candle to make a mold with an electric drill and two different sized bits, and filled the mold with five-minute expoxy. Some sanding and a bit of brown spray paint and it works perfectly.

RBSinTo

2 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Three things to NEVER leave attached to a guitar with a nitro finish:

-- a strap

-- a capo

-- a clip-on tuner

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

dhanners623,

Why would Gibson use such a delicate/reactive/tempermental finish on their guitars, when a lacquer finish which looks the same (to my untrained eyes at least) is more durable?

RBSinTo

They are one and the same- nitrocellulose lacquer

And it ages so well. To the ears.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:02 PM, fortyearspickn said:

75H,  With all due respect....   That dog won't hunt.   

Ahhh yes located somewhere down in Texas ...that may explain  it .

With all due respect ..i have been playing flat top for 40 years ,   playing live , band jams ,song circles ,you name it . and never have  i had  one come off the strap  pin on the bottom of  a guitar ....never .

Is it a miracle ,hand of fate ? Just good old fashioned luck ? 

Mmmmm...... Nope ......just better dogs . 

15 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

the $64,000 question!  It's how it's always been, and shall be forever and ever...   and if Gibson did abandon nitro, the purists would revolt.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:42 PM, RBSinTo said:

dhanners623,

RBSinTo

The two major finishes used on guitars are nitrocellulose and polyurethane. Nitro allows the wood to vibrate more freely. Poly is easier to apply and dries faster, so it is popular with those who mass-produce guitars. But poly is also a tone killer.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:55 AM, Salfromchatham said:

In addition to the one mentioned, there is the Planet Waves Cinch Fit  https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/strap-buttons/daddario-planet-waves-cinchfit-acoustic-jack-lock.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-09-gp

Also... Sully Straps can make you an amazing strap, which fits perfect on pickup ends... I have two and they are awesome.  https://sullysstraps.com/

I don't know about a "real" J45, but this didn't work on my AJ45 masterbilt.

Because I like to take my strap on and off fairly regularly and my endpin is also an output jack there's not a super simple snap on snap off type of lock, I need to just pay attention to the condition of the strap I'm using. 

So when my J45 fell off it's strap I ordered this strap from 'walker and william's (I had ahold of the guitar, so it didn't fall far enough to hit anything, but was a warning sign).   Also posted in the lounge and describe it as 'simple goodness' 2 3/8 wide, thick heavy duty leather and super simple design.  Just put it on the guitar, fits snug around the endpin jack and makes me feel like a rock star 🙂  Love it!

s19InU9.jpg?1

23 hours ago, kidblast said:

2 words Unc.. 

Staple Gun....  There,... I fixed it..  \:D/

Or even better, use a self-tapping screw and a washer to secure the strap to the guitar beside the end pin. Problem solved.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo