Gibson Brands Forums

J45 strap that will fit around the bottom?

LMW28IF

I got a few straps for my J45, but they inevitably have to be stretched/virtually torn open just to fit around the bottom strap button, and even then regularly fall off. Do any of you have a favorite strap that comfortably fits and stays on? (I don’t need a fancy custom one, just something that gets the job done!). Thank you in advance!

LMW28IF,

I had a similar problem with my j45. It originally had a pick-up which was removed except for the input jack. Straps would never properly fit over the flange on the jack and would invariably slip off.

I solved the problem by molding a mushroom-shaped plug from five-minute epoxy that pressure fits into the jack and keeps the strap in place. For those who are less handy, I understand StewMac sells a similar jack plug.

This of course assumes that you don't play the guitar with an amplifier, which I don't.

Hope this helps.

RBSinTo

Here's a  link to the  Strapkeeper:    http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm  

Jackpins have 2 problems-  too wide in circumference plus the slot for the strap is way too narrow.  Straps leather ends are usually 2 or 3 ply. Regardless - making the hole bigger never worked for me. It was still too thick to fit into the thin groove on the jackpin, plus the enlarged hole became frayed.   

Decided against the Strapkeeper.  I was not comfortable with a thin nylon open-ended washer that you removed by pulling it off by the attached string.  

I tied a foot long piece of paracord to the end of the strap and make a slip not / hangman's noose on the other with fits perfectly into the groove and when tightened, can't be pulled off. 

In addition to the one mentioned, there is the Planet Waves Cinch Fit  https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/strap-buttons/daddario-planet-waves-cinchfit-acoustic-jack-lock.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-09-gp

Also... Sully Straps can make you an amazing strap, which fits perfect on pickup ends... I have two and they are awesome.  https://sullysstraps.com/

Hi there ,my 2 cents worth ...take your guitar to a music shop that sells straps ,put on your mask and go inside and try out the straps until you find a great fit .

imo a good strap ....and you are gonna have to pay more than 10 bucks for one , should fit snuggle ,be made of good material ,have leather ends that attach to the end pin and strap button .

5 hours ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

Hi there ,my 2 cents worth ...take your guitar to a music shop that sells straps ,put on your mask and go inside and try out the straps until you find a great fit .

imo a good strap ....and you are gonna have to pay more than 10 bucks for one , should fit snuggle ,be made of good material ,have leather ends that attach to the end pin and strap button .

5 Hummingbird,

The problem with taking a guitar for a strap fitting is that the struggle will likely mar the straps one doesn't like, and I don't think the stores will appreciate the damage to their inventory.

I paid $39.00 (U.S.) each for three Godin padded leather straps for my acoustic guitars. The two that have input jacks were both problematic to fit, and I'll likely cast another plug to solve the problem with the second guitar with an input jack. For me at least a quicker and safer solution.

RBSinTo

7 hours ago, 75 Hummingbird said:

75H,  With all due respect....   That dog won't hunt.   

I've done the dhanners623 method a few times.

Then I found these for my Baggs equiped.  Alas, he's got supplier problems, but it seems like a simple solution. It's been my favorite lock by far.  Lock for Outpur Jack Style End Pin

I'm using the Tapastring Strapkeeper on my Martin. I have a second one, and was going to use it on my SJ-200 Historic collection, but the clip is too big. For that one, I am using the CinchFit . I think it's the Cinchfit that has a version for the hard-to-fit Taylor ES2 systems. I learned about it as I was selling mine.

44 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Had the strap slip off my end pin this morning...  had my hands around the guitar neck, so caught it before it hit the ground, but it made me come read this thread through again looking for a good lock.   Seems like a smart thing.  

it's definitely a problem...  you have to be careful.  The nomad thing I posted  is meh...  I didn't like it..  They make another one for Taylors that works MUCH better.

Plus the Taylor Straps do fit the end jacks.

hey, just another reason to buy some taylor stuff aye?? 

12 minutes ago, kidblast said:

hey, just another reason to buy some taylor stuff aye?? 

That's a slippery slope you're going down my friend (meant in jest).  In reality, Taylor seems like a company that has it together from developing a vision and executing on it.  Seems like Gibson's new management has got a handle on quality, and I'm liking the historic line up as a vision thing so maybe Gibson's getting there. 

I could see myself getting a Taylor, but it's 2 more Gibson's and a Martin away from the top of the list.. 

13 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

That's a slippery slope you're going down my friend (meant in jest).  In reality, Taylor seems like a company that has it together from developing a vision and executing on it.  Seems like Gibson's new management has got a handle on quality, and I'm liking the historic line up as a vision thing so maybe Gibson's getting there. 

I could see myself getting a Taylor, but it's 2 more Gibson's and a Martin away from the top of the list.. 

you should try an 814CE Dlx V-class.  Just to say ya did...

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

you should try an 814CE Dlx V-class.  Just to say ya did...

If I was to stray from the mother brand...  I'm thinking I would be comparing that taylor to one of those matons BK keeps going on about.  But I'm a CW or hummingbird, LG and D18 away from making those types of comparisons.

1 hour ago, djeffcoat said:

Pinegrove Leather in Engleand sells something close to the StrapKeeper.  You get 2 in a pack for about the same price with overseas shipping.  They use a rubber washer over the endpin to hold it in place.  I have both and both work well.

https://www.pinegroveleather.com/guitar-accessories/guitar-strap-jack-endpin-adaptor

Looks pretty cool, one of the nicer options I've seen, thx for the link.

Just wanted to show my solution to this problem.

Cast and painted epoxy mushroom-shaped plug pressure-fitted into the input jack. The head has about a  3/4 "diameter, and a thickness of about 1/4".

Works like a champion and doesn't deform the jack's interior walls.

RBSinTo 

input jack plug-2.jpg

I ordered a Taylor strap online based on your suggestions and it just arrived — it’s a tight fit, but feels secure and I can finally stand and play without fear! Thank you a ton. And for all the other suggestions; if this Taylor ever pops off, I’m keeping my eye on these other fasteners. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 11:54 AM, LMW28IF said:

I ordered a Taylor strap online based on your suggestions and it just arrived — it’s a tight fit, but feels secure and I can finally stand and play without fear! Thank you a ton. And for all the other suggestions; if this Taylor ever pops off, I’m keeping my eye on these other fasteners. 

Ah nice!   Play on!!!

On 9/9/2020 at 7:14 PM, djeffcoat said:

Pinegrove Leather in Engleand sells something close to the StrapKeeper.  You get 2 in a pack for about the same price with overseas shipping.  They use a rubber washer over the endpin to hold it in place.  I have both and both work well.

https://www.pinegroveleather.com/guitar-accessories/guitar-strap-jack-endpin-adaptor

That looks useful, but the guy in the video lost me when he leaned the guitar against a round stool, then turned the guitar upside down and rested the top of the headstock on the floor (or maybe his foot?) while he put on the device.

Both are good examples of what NOT to do....

On 9/9/2020 at 12:14 PM, djeffcoat said:

I like these,  they would clearly do NO HARM and seem safe enough.  So question for you.. do you keep the strap on, or easily removed when you case your guitar?

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I like these,  they would clearly do NO HARM and seem safe enough.  So question for you.. do you keep the strap on, or easily removed when you case your guitar?

Kidblast,

Is there a compelling reason for removing the guitar strap when the instrument is stored? I've owned my D-28 since 1979, and it has had a strap on it ever since, without any problems.

But an even more important question:

Pinegrove indicates that the Strapkeeper is a "free gift" when one buys an instrument strap. When has anyone ever paid for a gift?  Aren't all gifts by definition, free?

Just wondering.

RBSinTo