Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard clean / condition ?

SG Joe

16 hours ago, SG Joe said:

I have a 2 yr. old SG Std. 61 with a Rosewood Fretboard, need to replace the strings and would like to clean and condition the fretboard at the same time -

What product would you  guys suggest -

Thanks

Joe

the two things I normally would use, and have worked just fine are Nomad's F1 Fretboard Oil, Gerlitz's Guitar Honey.  Both available for speedy door step delivery kinda stuff on "the amazon"....

expect all kinds of responses here.. from "Ay.. you don't need no stinking fretboard oil" to, "Well I drain calf hoofs and I use that stuff that comes of that stuff there"

I say.  keep it simple, no harm in hydrating that wood, do it like twice / three times a year and you're good to go.

Edited by kidblast

there's no super magic.. people talk about oils and what's it made of etc.

just buy a product like Dunlop 65 or Gibson's .. you're only putting a few drops on it in the first place.. you're not marinating steaks.

buy some 0000 steel wool (that's 4 zero's,, don't just less) .

pull the strings.. put a few drops of fretboard oil on it between frets on the board.. rub the fretboard with the steel wool all the way down.. wipe with a clean cloth.. and yer done.

4 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

there's no super magic.. people talk about oils and what's it made of etc.

just buy a product like Dunlop 65 or Gibson's .. you're only putting a few drops on it in the first place.. you're not marinating steaks.

buy some 0000 steel wool (that's 4 zero's,, don't just less) .

pull the strings.. put a few drops of fretboard oil on it between frets on the board.. rub the fretboard with the steel wool all the way down.. wipe with a clean cloth.. and yer done.

And... don't forget to cover the pickups with something like a low tack tape!  (Blue Painters tape works good for this)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I removed a decade's worth of grunge on my 335 with good results.

Painter's tape over the pick ups, light scrub with 0000 steel wool, medium scrape with a credit card edge, vacuum up debris, lemon oil coating and the  buff off after a few minutes with an old gym sock (formerly owned by Carl Zappa and still damp).

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Yesterday I removed a decade's worth of grunge on my 335 with good results.

Painter's tape over the pick ups, light scrub with 0000 steel wool, medium scrape with a credit card edge, vacuum up debris, lemon oil coating and the  buff off after a few minutes with an old gym sock (formerly owned by Carl Zappa and still damp).

A college-degree stuffed with absolutely nothing at all. Smoke that and it'll really get you out there!

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1