Gibson Brands Forums

Damned Old Dusty Road-original song

rbpicker

I wrote this song a few years ago. It’s  about growing up in the country, in the middle of Indiana.  While not completely factual, it’s is fundamentally accurate, depicting life during that era (late 40s. - 50s) for many of our friends and neighbors.
 I hope you like it.  It’s a very personal expression to me.  It suits a J45 to a tee.
Thanks for giving it a listen.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.  The guitar in the background is a Halcyon 00NL.  It’s a deep body Nick Lucas style (lutz over rosewood) which has an amazing voice...loud and rich tone.  Halcyon are hand made in Canada by builder Ed Bond.  Good eye, 62burst.

rb

The only real problem with the song is that I didn't write it....

Wow! Excellent job. That's a song where everything -- your lyrics, your voice, your picking, your guitar tone -- fits together perfectly. It's as comfortable as a favorite pair of jeans. A well-crafted bit of work.

Where at in Indiana? I went to school in beautiful (?!?) Terre Haute.

Hi dhanners623.  Thanks so much for your reaction to my song.  I think when they come from our own experiences they present far better.  I appreciate your taking the time to listen and respond.  Usually original tunes don’t grab much attention on forums.

I grew up in Cambridge City, on old Rt 40, near Richmond. Town of 1700 good folks.  I wouldn’t trade my childhood for anything in the world.  Great time and place to grow up. I was in the Air Force with a guy from Terre Haute...name was Boland if I recall correctly.  That was in ‘65.

I also wrote a song called My Indiana.  Maybe I’ll do a recording of it someday and see if it resonates.  Thanks again.

Roger

1 hour ago, rbpicker said:

Hi dhanners623.  Thanks so much for your reaction to my song.  I think when they come from our own experiences they present far better.  I appreciate your taking the time to listen and respond.  Usually original tunes don’t grab much attention on forums.

I grew up in Cambridge City, on old Rt 40, near Richmond. Town of 1700 good folks.  I wouldn’t trade my childhood for anything in the world.  Great time and place to grow up. I was in the Air Force with a guy from Terre Haute...name was Boland if I recall correctly.  That was in ‘65.

I also wrote a song called My Indiana.  Maybe I’ll do a recording of it someday and see if it resonates.  Thanks again.

Roger

If you get on Route 40 and stay on it for 169 miles heading west, you'll wind up in my hometown, Casey, Il.

I don't know about Indiana, but after you cross the Illinois line, from the "new" Route 40 you can still see brick portions of old Route 40, which was the National Road. The mother of one of my buddies, who died a few years ago at 101, lived out in the country along Route 40 and said that in the early days after it was built, it had so little traffic that she and her friends would go roller skating on it.

My hometown is much bigger, though -- 2,700 people. Growing up there in the late '50s and '60s, we thought it was Mayberry. Looking back, I now see folks (including kids I grew up with) had their issues, but at least my experience was a pretty idyllic one. 

Again, great work on the song!

Edited by dhanners623