Gibson Brands Forums

New SG under MSRP???

Lou Theeur

Yea.. it's hard to find DEALS these days.  It's becoming a world where the "price is the price",  especially when dealing with the USA made builders.

Even looking used, the sellers are trending up to close to the cost of "new" for used.  At that point it's making more sense to drop the extra couple hundred, and at least have the warranty on your side.

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

Yea.. it's hard to find DEALS these days.  It's becoming a world where the "price is the price",  especially when dealing with the USA made builders.

Even looking used, the sellers are trending up to close to the cost of "new" for used.  At that point it's making more sense to drop the extra couple hundred, and at least have the warranty on your side.

Definitely true about the warranty, but, my last two Gibson purchases were sales at GC, one was in-store and the other was online, when I called about the online model they offered to take off another 85 bucks roughly, off of the sale price, so I said ok. I have not seen the SG '61 go on sale though.

Yes, Gibson keeps a tight rein on their prices where vendors are not allowed to undercut each other, and with few true sales.  The big push now is  for 36 or 48-month 0% credit which is another discount for the consumer.   Usually, with Black Friday sales, that is one of the few days where their coupon is applicable to Gibson and Fender products.  But not this year ... for 2020 , Guitar Center did a "VIP sale" for one day in November where you put what you want in a "wish list" before the sale, and then they would issue you a personalized coupon for what was in your wish list up to 15% the morning of the sale.  When they would have  a regular advertised 15% off sale, it would only include 2018 models, the Trad Pro (which is a GC exclusive, I think) or (usually) no Gibsons at all.  It was also smart for Gibson to get away with specified model years on their guitars.  Come the new year, all of last year's stock instantly became the "old model" where you could just wait for a clearance sale in April or so.  Now, everything is just listed by model with no release/manufacture year attached to it, thus removing the "old vs new model" inventory syndrome.  I was keeping my eye out for a broader Christmas sale on Gibsons, but it never came.

Edited by 01GT eibach

3 hours ago, Lou Theeur said:

Definitely true about the warranty, but, my last two Gibson purchases were sales at GC, one was in-store and the other was online, when I called about the online model they offered to take off another 85 bucks roughly, off of the sale price, so I said ok. I have not seen the SG '61 go on sale though.

Maybe the best bet is to keep an eye on your local GC,, I hear they've finally filed bankruptcy,  maybe they'll start having some liquidation sales.  Patience, as they say... is a virtue..

good luck with the hunt!

12 hours ago, Kmonk said:

I think a better question is why Sweetwater showing the MSRP as $2,099 when Gibson's website says it's $1,799. You might want to contact Sweetwater and ask them about this.

Gibson has probably been laxed in updating their web site,  they always are...  An easy bet is that Sweetwater's price is most likely reflecting current msrp

My experience over the last 7 years, since I discovered them, was that Sweetwater had as good or better price than anyone else.  If you call and get hooked up with a sales agent they have always given me a discount off the advertised price.  The higher priced the guitar the bigger the discount.  Last one I bought from them was listed at $3700 and I bought it for $3275 so about 11% off the list price.  Not as good as past deals, but better than I could find anywhere else, and I do think they add some value with their excellent photos of the actual guitar you are buying, and their inspection and set up standards.

But as mentioned by others, this has not been a great year for discounts as everyone's business is down some and manufacturer profits are probably down as well.

If I can't get 15-20% off on a new Guitar I'll try a few more places..  If I still can't I'll usually pass unless it's a super special limited production bucket list Guitar... Even then 99% of the time I pass.. I'm in no hurry & I'm not distressed to buy any Guitar... 

There have only been 2 Guitars in the past 10 years I sorta wished I'd bought. But, I know they'll pop up in the used market & at some point I'll buy them if they're a great deal.... If I don't I've got plenty of great Guitars to play... 

SG's should be available at 15%+ discounts all day long... Even in this market...

• Like 1

GC/MF have a 10% Veteran's discount everyday.  All brands so often the only price break on Fender and Gibson and others that are rarely marked down.  Not on sale items but good on price drops, even temporary.

MF gives 8% in reward points, if you look at it like money that is 18% off everything I buy there.  MF also price matches GC (same parent company), they don't always have the same items on sale at the same time.