Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Pickguard art-what is it?

MelB

Good Q - and it's been up before. Some call it the boob-logo, which may be the authentic back-then-nickname.                                                                                                                                                                                                       I personally like to see it as a fingertip touching the 6 strings thus generating a red hot power-spot : The Gibson-tone. [cool]

8mBIAi4.jpg

Luckily interpretations are free. It is what it is to you, , , or anybody. . . 
                                                                    Still an authorized explanation could be good after all these years - come forward, please, Bozeman. 

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MelB said:
2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Good Q - and it's been up before. Some call it the boob-logo, which may be the authentic back-then-nickname.                                                                                                                                                                                                       I personally like to see it as a fingertip touching the 6 strings thus generating a red hot power-spot : The Gibson-tone. [cool]

8mBIAi4.jpg

Luckily interpretations are free. It is what it is to you, , , or anybody. . . 
                                                                    Still an authorized explanation could be good after all these years - come forward, please, Bozeman. 

Ha! Thanks for the info, the logo for strings is an interesting thought!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j45nick said:

To follow up, that logo was only used on pickguards for a one- or two-year period around 1968.

Not sure what the original thinking was that led to this design.

Thanks! It’s on a pickguard for a guitar in the early 2000’s. Wonder if it’s a vintage pickguard...

I've mainly seen that logo on the J-45 60's reissue. This one is from 2016.

Their description is "a distinctive white pick guard with Gibson stamped logo ". Doesn't sound too artsy does it?

RS4JBRNH2_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

RS4JBRNH2_PLASTICS_FRONT.jpg

Edited by Dave F

3 hours ago, Dave F said:

I've mainly seen that logo on the J-45 60's reissue. This one is from 2016.

Their description is "a distinctive white pick guard with Gibson stamped logo ". Doesn't sound too artsy does it?

That's goes for the written part - the font. The graphic sign flies over their radar; they haven't got at clue. But no designer makes a symbol without explanation.                                                                                       The person behind this one probably laid awake for nights to figure out how he/she should solve the task and defend the solution. 

I was an early client of  a new healthcare software company in Boston, let's say 25 years ago.  They took off like gangbusters and realized they needed a 'logo'.  They hired a PR type company and paid tens of thousands for one - which they liked.  Until a year or so later someone looked up and realized it was an exact copy of an air conditioning/ heating return vent in their ceiling.   

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I was an early client of  a new healthcare software company in Boston, let's say 25 years ago.  They took off like gangbusters and realized they needed a 'logo'.  They hired a PR type company and paid tens of thousands for one - which they liked.  Until a year or so later someone looked up and realized it was an exact copy of an air conditioning/ heating return vent in their ceiling.   

That raises the question of what the designer of that particular Gibson logo was looking at or thinking of when he/she designed it.

I'll just leave that one sitting out there as food for thought...

• 1 year later...
20 minutes ago, olie said:

The thing that puzzles me is that there are 7 lines. At first I thought the lines represented guitar strings, but a 7-string guitar?

I think some graphic designer was having fun with us.

The 7th line is the fret.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Murph said:

The 7th line is the fret.

Agree, the 7th line is the fret.

I never thought inn detail about the logo, but I always thought it was kinda cool.  

Out of left field on this, but looking at it, it could be a finger’s callous touching the strings.  Callouses were pretty much kind of  badges of honor in the 60s among steel string guitar players, if I recall.  Just a thought.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

Here's a new one announced today

Dave Mustaine pioneered a new path for thrash metal, and now he’s breaking ground at Gibson. Gibson is excited to introduce the first 24 fret neck ever installed on a Gibson acoustic guitar, with the new Dave Mustaine Songwriter as a core artist model.

280122572_10158504813030718_596937917426

280197562_10158504812490718_146202480182