Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Standard

3EB_91

Hello all first post here! I really need your guys input regarding my J-45 Standard that I purchased brand new about seven months ago. I treat this guitar like my baby by maintaining proper humidification and trust me, I do not abuse it. I noticed this morning the finish is already peeling away from under the neck, which makes me wonder if this is a normal thing for this guitar? This really has me frustrated because I prize this guitar so much Thank you all! 

IMG_7004.HEIC.jpeg

Find a Gibson authorized repair center in your area and take it to them. I had an issue with a 2016 J-45 Standard I bought brand new and Gibson was very receptive and quick to cover the issue. Seems like your guitar would easily fall under their warranty. I've also had an issue with a cracked pickup surround and tenon cover for a 2013 SG I was the original owner of and, again Gibson sent me out the replacement parts pretty fast. 

Edited by sbpark

Have your finger nails clipped the edge of the board from slipping off the frets?  

even your hands  may carry a acidic sweat. That will do it as well.  

also. If the guitars out of the case or even in for that matter. Expansion and contraction of the fret can move the clear. 

Ive seen most of these situations before. 
Im just asking.   🙂

The lacquer on mine from 2010 did peel off up where the binding meets the black nut. It was a much shorter, but broader piece and it annoyed me.                                                                           The lacquer slightly lifted but stayed on - I cannot see the exact situation on yours. Think I glued it back down at some point, ain't sure. There's still a vague trace of the issue. 

Edited by E-minor7

This seems not to be Gibson-specific, had the same issue at the neck of my Martin D28 - on the side of the low E-string, around fret 1 after 1 year. I completely understand that this should not happen - the guitars cost enough money - but it seems to happen. My Gibsons do not show this kind of defect up to now.

What did I do - not very much, just polishing the spot with Micro Mesh. I take it as normal traces of playing . 

Had worse flaking off lacquer on the lacquered maple neck of my 1994 Fender Strat - which is no Nitro coating.

I usually one to say that bumps, bruises, scratches, dings and finish issues are usually overblown and the person posting is nitpicking and blowing it out of proportion and should play more and worry less about wear and tear. However, in this case, after only owning the guitar for several months and taking care of it it seems like a finish issue that Gibson could cover under warranty. I've owned several J-45 Standards, TV and V models and many Martins and have never seen this kind of wear on a fairly new guitar. On an old guitar that's been put through it's paces yes, but not on a babied guitar that's less than a year old. 

Also, you can see in the pics that (and we're assuming OP is right-handed) OP doesn't wear any rings on his fretting hand. Also, ,that wear seems to be right at the 9th fret. Dare I say most of us don't regularly play up that high, or at least play up that high enough in seven months to elicit that type of wear, especially since that wear is most likely on the side of the lower bout, so it would see even less contact with the hand compared to the edge of the neck on the upper bout side (this is all assuming that the OP took the photo of the guitar with the guitar flipped around with the sound hole facing him). 

Edited by sbpark

Hello all thank you for all your feedback I sincerely do appreciate it! I do not wear any rings at all on my left hand. I never usually play on the 9th fret at all, which is why I find this issue quite strange. I got in contact with Sweetwater to see what my options are, just waiting to hear back from their techs. I'm not the one to complain about scratches or dings on my guitars and I actually do not mind,  but only owning this beauty for seven months has me concerned. You guys are awesome! 

1 hour ago, 3EB_91 said:

Hello all thank you for all your feedback I sincerely do appreciate it! I do not wear any rings at all on my left hand. I never usually play on the 9th fret at all, which is why I find this issue quite strange. I got in contact with Sweetwater to see what my options are, just waiting to hear back from their techs. I'm not the one to complain about scratches or dings on my guitars and I actually do not mind,  but only owning this beauty for seven months has me concerned. You guys are awesome! 

You’re doing the right thing.  Congrats on the J-45. I hope Sweetwater, & Gibson help to sort this out for you. I think they will.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:04 AM, sbpark said:

I usually one to say that bumps, bruises, scratches, dings and finish issues are usually overblown and the person posting is nitpicking and blowing it out of proportion and should play more and worry less about wear and tear. However, in this case, after only owning the guitar for several months and taking care of it it seems like a finish issue that Gibson could cover under warranty. I've owned several J-45 Standards, TV and V models and many Martins and have never seen this kind of wear on a fairly new guitar. On an old guitar that's been put through it's paces yes, but not on a babied guitar that's less than a year old. 

Also, you can see in the pics that (and we're assuming OP is right-handed) OP doesn't wear any rings on his fretting hand. Also, ,that wear seems to be right at the 9th fret. Dare I say most of us don't regularly play up that high, or at least play up that high enough in seven months to elicit that type of wear, especially since that wear is most likely on the side of the lower bout, so it would see even less contact with the hand compared to the edge of the neck on the upper bout side (this is all assuming that the OP took the photo of the guitar with the guitar flipped around with the sound hole facing him). 

SBP,   How did you determine the wear was at the 9th fret?    I can't tell from the one photo, but I'm probably missing something.  Fret markers at 3, 5, 7 and 9  usually.  

Assuming the guitar was purchased from a store, contact them, and just to be safe, get in touch with Gibson directly.

Unless you play professionally, there is no reason that a defect like this should appear after seven months. And assuming you have or have had other guitars, it seems from your surprise, that this hasn't happened to any of your other instruments, which would rule out rings, nails or capos as the cause.

RBSinTo

Here is bullet #7 of what Gibson DOES NOT cover under their warranty.

Normal wear and tear (i.e., worn frets, worn machine heads, worn plating, string replacement, scratched pickguards, or damages to or discoloration of the instrument finish for any reason).

17 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

SBP,   How did you determine the wear was at the 9th fret?    I can't tell from the one photo, but I'm probably missing something.  Fret markers at 3, 5, 7 and 9  usually.  

You can barely see the double fret dot markers just barely in the bottom right of the photo. J-45 Standards only have double dots at the 12th fret. 

Also, if that wear was at the 7th fret there would be a dot on the 9th, but if you continue up the neck, that fret doest have a dot, again confirming the wear is at the 9th fret, not the 7th. 

Edited by sbpark
  • Like 1