Gibson Brands Forums

NOGD! 2007 Martin 000-28EC - Warning: Martin Content!

BluesKing777

On 2/28/2021 at 12:57 AM, BluesKing777 said:

So, big day!

Had breaky, played the EC.

Had lunch, played the  CEO7 after talking about it here.

Took the Boss for a drive in the country, ahem, stopped at a music shop to pickup some more Humidipaks - one new pack for the EC and 2 new ones to replace some old model packs with an annoying plastic bar holding the bags in. I was quick as a flash in the shop but Boss and Dog staring daggers when I got back.....drove all over a few country roads I know. Went over a couple of freeway bridges and could see thousands of cars stopped! Kept going all the way home on back roads I know, probably like the Dukes would use!

Installed the Humidipaks and the last guitar I did was the big sister of the EC, my 2006 HD28V, so kept it out and played it for a while. What a wonderful guitar! Old story - I was going to sell it because it needed new frets....I asked for 3 new frets, luthier said I needed 8, a mix up occurred and he did ALL of them and a full setup and it plays so beautifully that I didn't, you know, go OFF.....

8ZAYyUkh.jpg

UXO04suh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Congratulations on a wonderful guitar.

7 hours ago, jedzep said:

We let BK run free cuz of all the great sound clips.

Thanks JZ!

Hey, I didn't post the recording I did!

I will do another but here is the first - the strings were too new and the guitar still settling in - it is a totally different guitar a week later!

Evidence - a few instrumental verses of John Lennon's "Imagine":

BluesKing777.

On lesser but important forum matters - I was playing my Maton Messiah 808 last night and I was looking at the pickguard closely after purchasing famous un-pop pickguard on the EC ...and I really like the Messiah pickguard...

So I looked up the Maton specs for the type of guard, hoping to find some detail to get some more! And it says...very helpful....'Tortoiseshell'. Well, it isn't - it is plastic something but anyway smile.gif:

(old photo from when I bought the guitar):

bNSDqKvh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

13 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

On lesser but important forum matters - I was playing my Maton Messiah 808 last night and I was looking at the pickguard closely after purchasing famous un-pop pickguard on the EC ...and I really like the Messiah pickguard...

So I looked up the Maton specs for the type of guard, hoping to find some detail to get some more! And it says...very helpful....'Tortoiseshell'. Well, it isn't - it is plastic something but anyway smile.gif:

(old photo from when I bought the guitar):

bNSDqKvh.jpg

BluesKing777.

I really want to play a Maton. If they are good enough for Tommy E . . .

I still hate pickguards that are not just black.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

That does look like a very sweet EC Martin. 

The forums are always talking trash about Gibsons, saying they are some of the most inconsistent guitars out there, and buyer beware and to never order one sight unseen. I'm not a fanboy or proclaim any loyalty to ANY manufacturer and like guitars from several different makers. 

With that said the Gibsons I have owned over the last 7-8 years ranging from used and new, including several different versions/models of J-45s, an AJ and a couple SJ200's, they have all been absolutely stellar in fit and finish and all have been great sounding, aside from one of the SJ200's that really was not the greatest sounding (but the other SJ200 was heavenly). The Martins I've purchased (both used and new) have also been fantastic from a fit and finish perspective and all have sounded great. However they have had neck angles that were all over the place, and TWO of them needed neck resets in a very short version of time after I bought them new. My D18 I bought brand new maybe 2 years ago needed a neck reset after owning it for 6 months, and I bought it brand new thank goodness, because Martin covered it and had a local authorized Martin repair center perform a neck reset. Guitar has been absolutely rock solid since without any issues, and it sounded even better after the neck reset. 

Only way to know if a guitar suits..really..is to buy the thing and play it for a few months/years in all weather/moods/music style/play style.

While I enjoy trying a lot of different makes and shapes, I have no allegiance and if it came down to it...gulp...give me something with 6 strings and I will play the thing best I can.

I was reading a thread somewhere on necks, V, Mod V, skinny and one reply said he was a one guitar owner but his friend had multiple guitars and was a butterfly and he couldn't trust his guitar recommendations at all! Hmmm.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Even if I wasn't purposely trying to narrow down to preferences, for me it's been a natural progression to have in and out door movement for models, shapes and styles. Guitars that go through the out door generally stay out,  resulting in a clustering of preferences.

I've got my project Gibson back on the bench, BK, ready for the correct stencil I recommended. Git yours yet?

0YSEVnG.jpg

Yes JZ, I also find it amazing the people get a guitar they already sold before - a number of times! Weren’t they watching? Listening? Not paying attention?

I had intent, real intent to ditch a few, I mean consign a few guitars but the Virus has put paid to that....we have been in ‘Lockdown’ a few times now and can’t travel more than 3 and a bit miles (5km) from our house and only for ‘exercise and shopping’. So I don’t want to get stuck with you know, here...with my guitars for sale...there. House is leaning to the left. Getting urgent! But I don’t sell things from home anymore since the incident with the screaming lunatic that wanted my 5 speed gearbox and rang me at 4am and then possibly came over and stole it.....

Good luck with your sticker!

BluesKing777.

3 hours ago, jedzep said:

No sticker. Stencil and spray paint. 5X more likely to screw up.

And you want me to spray paint logos on my guitar as well?

Not a chance!

Here is a blues I just recorded with the EC - strings are a bit new still.....bit zingy - but the show must go on!

BluesKing777.

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

And you want me to spray paint logos on my guitar as well?

Not a chance!

Here is a blues I just recorded with the EC - strings are a bit new still.....bit zingy - but the show must go on!

BluesKing777.

Tasty, BK, very tasty.

What are you using for strings?

The 000 body size works well for blues. Totally different tone compared to L-bodied Gibsons, but really good for this style of blues.

13 hours ago, jedzep said:

Even if I wasn't purposely trying to narrow down to preferences, for me it's been a natural progression to have in and out door movement for models, shapes and styles. Guitars that go through the out door generally stay out,  resulting in a clustering of preferences.

I've got my project Gibson back on the bench, BK, ready for the correct stencil I recommended. Git yours yet?

0YSEVnG.jpg

Jedzep,

Just a thought, (because I worked in the sign business for many years in another life), why not simply have the logo scanned and cut from adhesive vinyl which would be much easier, safer and less prone to application disasters when applying it, than using a stencil and spray-painting it?

Years ago I did this with Nikon logo replacements for a piece of my camera gear, and it worked very well.

RBSinTo

Thanks Slim!

Even thought the EC is a recent buy, it feels a lot like I have owned it for years - because I discovered I like the Mod V Martin necks when I bought my (used) 2002 OM18V and onwards!

With the paint on logo stencil talk - I think it probably deserves a nice, hand carved logo by JZ! (JZ's guitar, not mine!). Cut straight in the wood! (must have been done before, I guess)......😁

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Big thanks, RB. This guitar had a vinyl logo that really looked like a set of very bright oversized false teeth, while I waited for a 'frisket' to be made with CAD software, so I could come as close as possible to the right size and look. Couldn't find a small enough vinyl or waterslide.  I'll use the Dan Erlewine vid on StewMac site to guide me.
https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas/trade-secrets/spraying-a-peghead-logo-using-a-vinyl-frisket.html

I have used both vinyl and waterslide logos, preferring the latter for more subdued and less raised look. The closest to authentic, however, is shown in the vid above, and while the handling is tricky I feel the guitar deserves as close to authentic as I can get. Haven't quite figured out how I'll tone down the 'newness' that will show, but I may be able to 'dirty up' the lettering after the paint cures.

It took a long time to find a shop that would make actual size correct ones for my '50 J50 and this '36 L00, so I'm taking a shot. Dan finally gave up the name of his guy, but I had to mention my mob connected relatives to loosen him up.

Hey, somebody has to start steering this conversation away from a Martin blog.