Gibson Brands Forums

Nicknames

Mr. Gibson

9 hours ago, Retired said:

It seemed in elementary school, some kids were bully's. In school, I had to go by my real name which was the same as dad's, "Floyd."  So some kids called me flood but they also tried to make fun of most all classmates.  I've also been called "Pretty Boy Floyd." After the gangster.  That name got told at a Chiropractor once by a coworker of mine because I told them he likes to be called Hick.  So when I was called for an adjustment next, They announced my name as Pretty Boy Floyd.  At Halloween, they wanted us all to come in costume so I wore an 1940's style suit and hat in and brought in my violin cased Tommy Gun inside it.  (Steve told them about it and they asked me to bring it in but it was unloaded.)  I hesitated about that but the owner wanted to see it too.  I think I was the hit of the day. Lol. 

We didnt have a bully issue (only one incident). There were five of my sibblings that all went to elementary school at the same time (4 boys and 1 girl) so nobody gave a second thought about creating problems with us. My oldest brother was a straight cholo gang member throughout the latter part of elementary and junior high, so even the notorious of bullys stayed away exccept for one incident. He pushed my sister off the swings and broke her arm. Basically my brother and his cholo buddies blackened both his eyes and knocked out his front teeth and cut open his lip pretty bad.

When he finally came back to school he wouldnt even look our way. I remember just throwing him the dirtiest stares in class... lol 

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I(or anyone else for that matter) didn't have any nickname in elementary school.  Nor Jr. and high school either.  In high school some just took to  messing up my Polish last name, which I guess might technically qualify as a nickname, but they weren't consistent with it so I guess not.  

Whitefang

You have Polish Ken?  So does Deb.  My gosh, when I married her I saw a list of all the jokes that she saved. I asked her, why did you save all these? These are terrible. Well, one I had to chuckle at. 

I thought many of them were kinda clever.  And they are just jokes.  One would have to be an idiot to believe they were based on fact.  [cool]

"HAVE" Polish?  That's a new one on me!  [wink]  Unless you meant polish, y'know, like Pledge.  [laugh]  And tell Deb "Dzien Dobry" for me.   [smile]

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 9:39 AM, Whitefang said:

I thought many of them were kinda clever.  And they are just jokes.  One would have to be an idiot to believe they were based on fact.  [cool]

"HAVE" Polish?  That's a new one on me!  [wink]  Unless you meant polish, y'know, like Pledge.  [laugh]  And tell Deb "Dzien Dobry" for me.   [smile]

Whitefang

It's 9:31 pm here, She said:  Dobranoc. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Retired said:

I don't know these words.   She said Prosze Bardzo. 

Truly, I used up all the Polish I know.  [wink]  I knew that last one of mine meant "thank you", but never knew how to spell it, so I looked it up.  Had to look up Deb's too.  [cool]  So, looks like we're cool.  [smile] 

1 hour ago, Mr. Natural said:

That's easy for YOU to say.

OK.  My "Dziekuje"  means "Thank you"  and her Prosze bardo  means "you're welcome."    [wink]

Whitefang

10 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Truly, I used up all the Polish I know.  [wink]  I knew that last one of mine meant "thank you", but never knew how to spell it, so I looked it up.  Had to look up Deb's too.  [cool]  So, looks like we're cool.  [smile] 

OK.  My "Dziekuje"  means "Thank you"  and her Prosze bardo  means "you're welcome."    [wink]

Whitefang

Yep!  I didn't know any of them. I had to look them all up to see what they meant.  Her dad was 100% Polish,  He died in a airplane crash when she was 14. He was a paratrooper in the war. 

13 hours ago, Retired said:

Yep!  I didn't know any of them. I had to look them all up to see what they meant.  Her dad was 100% Polish,  He died in a airplane crash when she was 14. He was a paratrooper in the war. 

Assuming both he and she are Americans, you'd have to be more specific as to which war.   There's been four so far in my lifetime.  That is sad about her past though.  Me?   Well....

My biological Father was Polish/Russian, and my Mom was Polish/French-Canadian.   I figure the two Polish measures makes me 1/2 Polish.  \:D/   I said that to a buddy who joked and said, "It's like they say about black blood.  You know, only one drop of black blood makes you black! Same with one drop of Polish blood.  "  [wink]

Whitefang

On 3/22/2021 at 10:09 AM, Whitefang said:

Assuming both he and she are Americans, you'd have to be more specific as to which war.   There's been four so far in my lifetime.  That is sad about her past though.  Me?   Well....

My biological Father was Polish/Russian, and my Mom was Polish/French-Canadian.   I figure the two Polish measures makes me 1/2 Polish.  \:D/   I said that to a buddy who joked and said, "It's like they say about black blood.  You know, only one drop of black blood makes you black! Same with one drop of Polish blood.  "  [wink]

Whitefang

I forgot which one she said, That's why I didn't say.  Seemed to think it was the Korean war as she mentioned her Uncle James was in it also. After he got out of the war,  he and 3 other friends went to a Hockey game in Iowa. At the end of the game, and flying back there was a severe thunderstorm  and that caused the plane to crash. All 4 guys were pilots. There was a farm where the crash site was,  They dedicated a memorial  site there with the remains of the plane and the names of the guys in the plane. Debbie was never allowed to go to the site as she was too young her mom told her so we went a few years ago and its still there and told us all what they saw. Very nice people there. 

12 hours ago, Retired said:

I forgot which one she said, That's why I didn't say.  Seemed to think it was the Korean war as she mentioned her Uncle James was in it also. After he got out of the war,  he and 3 other friends went to a Hockey game in Iowa. At the end of the game, and flying back there was a severe thunderstorm  and that caused the plane to crash. All 4 guys were pilots. There was a farm where the crash site was,  They dedicated a memorial  site there with the remains of the plane and the names of the guys in the plane. Debbie was never allowed to go to the site as she was too young her mom told her so we went a few years ago and its still there and told us all what they saw. Very nice people there. 

Wow.  That sounds so Buddy Holly-like.   So, he didn't die IN the war, eh?  Seems reasonable that a paratrooper might die in a plane crash during wartime.

9 hours ago, Lungimsam said:

Schmendrick

Michel Pichel

Which one was it?  Both?  or....

Just one or the other.  And what, If you know, was behind the nickname?  

Whitefang

I guess it was sort of like Buddy Holly?  The people at the sight actually saw the crash from their home. They said the plane was flying upside down so somehow in the storm, they couldn't see where they were going and got upside down, they probably saw the ground and tried to climb higher but not knowing  they were upside down, they crashed. The plane exploded and burnt everyone on board. They just found bone and dental and some rings and stuff to identify each person. Deb named our son after her dad. So that was cool I thought.  

12 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Wow.  That sounds so Buddy Holly-like.   So, he didn't die IN the war, eh?  Seems reasonable that a paratrooper might die in a plane crash during wartime.

Which one was it?  Both?  or....

Just one or the other.  And what, If you know, was behind the nickname?  

Whitefang

I’ll have to ask. My Mom called me the former. Dad the latter.

11 hours ago, Lungimsam said:

I’ll have to ask. My Mom called me the former. Dad the latter.

You may not like this, but the "free dictionary" shows this...

shmendrick (ˈʃmɛndrɪk)

n. a stupid and ineffectual nobody. (Yiddish.) 
Can't figure out the other.
Whitefang

Schmendrick?  Kvelling?   

OY GEVALT!   It's enough to make me kvetch!  :rolleyes:  Sorry, couldn't resist.  Just funnin'  not meaning to be a schmedlap.    [wink]

Sure.  My wife used to call a grandnephew "monkey butt."   Not really meaning any  derogation. So I get your Mom.

Whitefang

BoyDiesel...

I was touring in Germany many years ago and we pulled off of the autobahn to refuel....the van was regular petrol (gas for you yankee types) but I filled it with diesel....we broke down about 20 mins later and bingo...nickname was born.

We made the gig but had to setup while the support was playing...real pro job....

12 minutes ago, WhitePunkOnDope said:

BoyDiesel...

the van was regular petrol (gas for you yankee types) but I filled it with diesel....we broke down about 20 mins later

I managed to do that to my push mower and wife's father's ride on mower a while back.  Wonder I didn't get nicknamed smokey!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WhitePunkOnDope said:

BoyDiesel...

I was touring in Germany many years ago and we pulled off of the autobahn to refuel....the van was regular petrol (gas for you yankee types) but I filled it with diesel....we broke down about 20 mins later and bingo...nickname was born.

We made the gig but had to setup while the support was playing...real pro job....

\:D/

So, what kind of DOP were you smokin'?  [wink] (Name was a bit long, so the site dropped the "e".  Looks  like WhitePunkOnDop)  

Whitefang (not on dope anymore. )

• 2 years later...
On 3/2/2021 at 3:55 PM, sparquelito said:

My given name is John Sparkman. 

Sparky is the nickname most of us Sparkman boys get from our friends or military buddies over the years. 
(If you visit a family reunion, and shout, "Hey Sparky!" nine or ten of us will perk up and try to respond.)

I've also been called, over the years, 
Spark
Johnny
"you complete and utter bastard"
and
Señor  Sparquelito.
Thus the avatar name here. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 
😑

funny nicknames for wife

My Mates and I have some pretty good nicknames for our Wives. These were either given by the Hubby or in worse cases given by the mates after displaying behaviour that warranted a name. My Wife gets “The Sheriff” She’s always snopping and prodding for info to bring undone our fun.

1 hour ago, cayine said:

My Mates and I have some pretty good nicknames for our Wives. These were either given by the Hubby or in worse cases given by the mates after displaying behaviour that warranted a name. My Wife gets “The Sheriff” She’s always snopping and prodding for info to bring undone our fun.

I used to watch Bewitched all the time back in the days. Darren, called his wife Sam for short. So I did the same and call Debbie Deb. Her real name is Debra though.