Gibson Brands Forums

Nicknames

Mr. Gibson

Either a similar topic was posted awhile ago or I'm having deja vu.  :-k

Anyway. Jay is my nickname. A lot of times I end up being called JayBird. In one of my bands, they ended up calling me JD because their original singers name was also Jay. Even though he's gone, they still call me JD.  

• Like 1

My given name is John Sparkman. 

Sparky is the nickname most of us Sparkman boys get from our friends or military buddies over the years. 
(If you visit a family reunion, and shout, "Hey Sparky!" nine or ten of us will perk up and try to respond.)

I've also been called, over the years, 
Spark
Johnny
"you complete and utter bastard"
and
Señor  Sparquelito.
Thus the avatar name here. 

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 
😑

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bob is actually my nickname, a common one for a guy named Robert. It was Bobby when I was a kid.

Notes came around in the pre-www days of the Internet when instead of forums we used usenet/newsgroups to 'talk'. When I went to alt.saxophone there was a Robert Norton, Bobby Norton and a Bob Norton already there, so I chose "Notes" because it was the nickname my sister's business partner called me. It was the first thing I could think of.

My ex-wife had another nickname, but this is a family forum. 😉 (We were young with raging hormones)

Notes

• Like 1

18 hours ago, saturn said:

Either a similar topic was posted awhile ago or I'm having deja vu.  :-k

Anyway. Jay is my nickname. A lot of times I end up being called JayBird. In one of my bands, they ended up calling me JD because their original singers name was also Jay. Even though he's gone, they still call me JD.  

I had a thread about our user names awhile back.

• Sad 1

Ha!

A couple of you had nicknames that I had too.  Like;

"Bean".  or "The Bean", bestowed on me by a buddy's Dad for some reason.

"Buzz", given me by some buddies I used to smoke with( you know...not tobacco  [wink] )

"Q-Tip"  From some co-workers back in the day when I was much thinner and sported an Afro looking perm job. 

When I was a littler kid, my Mom and older brother took to calling me K.G.,  my first two initials.  Kind of on the order some big shot business execs would often be addressed by their two initials.  It was all in fun.  My brother, over the years, shortened it to  Caj(with a long "a" to sound like "cage") .  And this was some years before the character "Caj" on the TV show COMBAT. 

My brother often called me that up until he died 10 years ago.

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, duane v said:

I had this one all through elementary school... [angry]

"Duane the bathtub I'm drowning."

Still makes me mad..... 

That IS kinda dumb.  You'd figure a nickname would be short and "sweet".  But, you did say it was elementary school.  And I would hope they at least followed through with saying it, "Duane the bathtub, I'm DWOWNING!"   [wink]

Somebody thought my nickname post was "sad".   What's up with that? (whoever you are).

Whitefang

We got this guy or girl on the forum that likes to add sad emojis. We don't know who he or she is but we have our suspicions. Emojis are sad. I would use a three letter word that starts with a "g" to describe emoji's, but I would offend some people.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If we have 2 people with the same name we put big or little in front, one example was big Eleanor and little Eleanor because one was tall and the other short. Or by age older one was big and younger one little. Everyone had a nickname here in the 60s through 80s.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Not everyone here.  But some stood out, like my brother's best friend, a tall slim guy everyone called "string bean".   When I was nine, a new kid moved on the street.  His family came from somewhere in the South(judging by their accent) and the kid already had a nickname given by his parents, or likely his Mom,  which was "Sugarman".  We kids just shortened it to "Shug" (pronounced "shoog")  or "Shuggie" ("shoogie")   Wasn't until the late '60's and the blues guitarist SHUGGIE OTIS emerged that we heard anyone else going by that moniker.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

If we have 2 people with the same name we put big or little in front, one example was big Eleanor and little Eleanor because one was tall and the other short. Or by age older one was big and younger one little. Everyone had a nickname here in the 60s through 80s.

Ron Jeremy is the Hedgehog.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just remembered a kid who in the late '60's we called "Fuzznutski"  It obviously wasn't out of affection.  

There was also a guy I worked with at Cadillac that had the nickname "P-Man".  Had no idea what it was based on, like what the "P" stood for.  But everybody only knew him by that name.  Worked with the guy for 15 years before finally finding out his real name.  [cool]  Which didn't seem to have anything to do with the nickname.

Whitefang

On 3/5/2021 at 9:27 AM, Whitefang said:

That IS kinda dumb.  You'd figure a nickname would be short and "sweet".  But, you did say it was elementary school.  And I would hope they at least followed through with saying it, "Duane the bathtub, I'm DWOWNING!"   [wink]

Somebody thought my nickname post was "sad".   What's up with that? (whoever you are).

Whitefang

It seemed in elementary school, some kids were bully's. In school, I had to go by my real name which was the same as dad's, "Floyd."  So some kids called me flood but they also tried to make fun of most all classmates.  I've also been called "Pretty Boy Floyd." After the gangster.  That name got told at a Chiropractor once by a coworker of mine because I told them he likes to be called Hick.  So when I was called for an adjustment next, They announced my name as Pretty Boy Floyd.  At Halloween, they wanted us all to come in costume so I wore an 1940's style suit and hat in and brought in my violin cased Tommy Gun inside it.  (Steve told them about it and they asked me to bring it in but it was unloaded.)  I hesitated about that but the owner wanted to see it too.  I think I was the hit of the day. Lol. 

• Like 3

I(or anyone else for that matter) didn't have any nickname in elementary school.  Nor Jr. and high school either.  In high school some just took to  messing up my Polish last name, which I guess might technically qualify as a nickname, but they weren't consistent with it so I guess not.  

Whitefang