Gibson Brands Forums

New Model

Dusty Myles

11 minutes ago, Rabs said:

This was the one I wanted because of the pcikup combo..  The day I went to buy it they had just sold the last one so I ended up with a Gary Moore BFG instead (cos it had a similar pickup combo)

Nighthawk 2009 - Gibson Nighthawk 2009 - Audiofanzine

That’s the limited run 2009. I’ve seen a few of these recently but I haven’t had bad enough GAS to pull the trigger on it. Then again, I have enough guitars and more guitars means more maintenance haha! Although I’ve been debating what guitar I might want next - that GAS bothering me again... It’s a disease 😂 only cured with a nice purchase or four

That was my first guess but that rosewood is really dark. Nice

I’m making a guitar with a Floyd so I am tempted to bombard you a little bit with questions on that Floyd one but I think it’s nothing I can’t answer myself. Just curious and excited about the Floyd cause I’ve always wanted one

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

That’s the limited run 2009. I’ve seen a few of these recently but I haven’t had bad enough GAS to pull the trigger on it. Then again, I have enough guitars and more guitars means more maintenance haha! Although I’ve been debating what guitar I might want next - that GAS bothering me again... It’s a disease 😂 only cured with a nice purchase or four

Get a 336.. It will cure you of all of that  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Shark looks interesting but I doubt it was ever considered for production. 

I think it must be designed by the same guy as this -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-Blue-Dolphin-Yuriy-Shishkov-Masterpiece-Archtop-Acoustic-Guitar/174133369634?hash=item288b285b22:g:q2MAAOSw-s5d~q6S

Check out the sellers other guitars too....wow!

The trouble is that every imaginable shape and combination of features has already been done/is available.

The obvious one is a lighter LP-type 2 pickup guitar like the one in Rabs's post, the Nighthawks in Chris's post, or the L4S/L5S/L6S series.   However the LP studio and various SG models sort of cover that area and price point already.  The LP lites were a good idea but priced way too high IMO.

Only today I learned there was once a Gibson LP Custom "Showcase Edition" in 1988, with EMG pickups (gasp) ...

Edited by jdgm

5 minutes ago, jdgm said:

The Shark looks interesting but I doubr it was ever considered for production. 

I think it must be designed by the same guy as this -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-Blue-Dolphin-Yuriy-Shishkov-Masterpiece-Archtop-Acoustic-Guitar/174133369634?hash=item288b285b22:g:q2MAAOSw-s5d~q6S

No..   Bruce Kunkle...

I’d rather see a few Reissues they don’t make anymore....

A Vintage Sunburst CF100-E, a Vintage Sunburst Reverse Firebird VII with Gold Hardware & Maestro & a Goldtop VOS ES Les Paul with P90’s & Bigsby... 

I’ll buy all 3.... 

21 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Y'know, since I never had(or could ever afford) a GAS attack, I don't follow the market all that close.  So...

Whatever happened with those Gibsons that were supposedly "self tuners"? 

Whitefang

Another giant failure sadly... While there are some people who like them, at the end of the day most people just didnt want them or to pay the extra for them. Let alone all of the other crazy changes they made in 2015 at the same time AND they did it across the whole line up... But even then, the models were the same it was just the spec that changed.

• Thanks 1

@Dub-T-123, just wanted to mention what drives me absolutely crazy when I see this with tremolos whether it be a FR, Fender, whatever... when I set up one of these I do not like it when the springs in the back of the guitar are making a “V” shape with 3 springs. I don’t know why people do this, but the spring in the middle does way less work than the outside 2 do. Literally no point in having this in there at that point. I show people that it does nothing because I cannot use my hands to remove the outside 2 springs, but I can grab the center spring and take it out with my bare hands - no tools. The right way to use 3 springs is to make them all be straight to get the benefit of each spring doing equal work. Not sure if you knew about this but wanted to share this anyhow for someone else who doesn’t know about this. My advice in this case is do it the right way, cuz now you know - lay all 3 in straight. The idea is and always has been to make each spring equally contribute to the tension on the bridge to counteract the string tension. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

9 minutes ago, rct said:

5 springs, screw the bar on occasionally, don't use it, take it off and wonder why you put it on in the first place, lather, rinse, repeat.

rct

That’s just the thing. Some like trems, some don’t. I just hate seeing people who use it set it up like s***. Bridges sinking in the body and stuff like that... they take extra time and care to set up properly hence why they aren’t for everyone. String changes are more work, if it’s floating and spring breaks, while guitar is out of tune... I actually bought some proper tools to set up a trem so it’s a bit easier for me these days but again, it’s not as nice to work with as a hard tail or something of the like. 

Ive also seen it where 5 springs in the trem and all them cranked into the body where you get strange noises when you play. That’s the springs making banjos of themselves. Just need enough tension in the springs again balanced with the strings. That’s the name of the game...

I used it a lot a long time ago, Fenders mostly, Floyds and Kahlers and whatever was on Kramer too.  Every once in a while I feel like using it, maybe 4th set, and it's fun for a few songs or so.

rct

I don’t get into dive bombing haha! I don’t like the super high pitched squeals either. But in the end I hate going through the motions with these f’n things to string change and set up... Fenders are a bit better but FRs are just like F-u-*-*!!! I prefer hard tails or the like. Way easier to set up and not sabotaging yourself once a string breaks during a performance or something. Sucks to have this happen any way you cut it but you basically have to stop whatever you’re doing on stage and start fuming if you’re a floater guy haha!

23 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Lol! I’m glad we had this conversation 😂

Duesenberg Les Trem II’s have an angled Dive Bar held in position by a set screw for so you can get maximum dive angle, German steel with a very high quality spring. Being adjustable I have never had to replace a Spring. Unlike a Bigsby that only good for swells, these Dive with a capitol D..

NXuGO2m.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Duesenberg Les Trem II’s have an angled Dive Bar held in position by a set screw for so you can get maximum dive angle, German steel with a very high quality spring. Being adjustable I have never had to replace a Spring. Unlike a Bigsby that only good for swells, these Dive with a capitol D..

NXuGO2m.jpg

Have to be honest I have no experience with those but looks pretty nice. Trems can definitely be used tastefully in a lot of music. You got some pretty nice guitars too! Question I have is if you break a string do the others go all out of whack? You know, like a floating FR will... I’m guessing no as it will only go downward. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

19 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Have to be honest I have no experience with those but looks pretty nice. Trems can definitely be used tastefully in a lot of music. You got some pretty nice guitars too! Question I have is if you break a string do the others go all out of whack? You know, like a floating FR will...

The short answer is yes, a bit, depending on which string. But when that happens I do what any Tremolo maniac does and grab the dive bar..

Tremolos love new strings that have been "set" and a guitar with good slippage across the nut. I usually don’t break strings unless I’m going for a few double whole step stretches.

Also note that I like to use a roller bridge with them, specially in cases where the bridge is much higher than the stop bar, like on a sculpted top Les Paul.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 2