Gibson Brands Forums

Rough Fretboard

Dusty Myles

So I bought a 2020 classic and the guitar is great except for 1 flaw. The fret board is quite rough and there are quite a few tool marks. It's almost like it didn't get the final sanding as sliding on the strings feels very restricted.  

Anybody have recommendations on sanding products, techniques, grits ect.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Hi. I'm a bit puzzled here. The fretboard texture should not make any difference to playing. 

Also not sure what 'sliding' is. 

Is the problem with the frets? 

I meant sliding as in sliding up or down the neck when playing. 

No the frets seem fine the board just has a very rough texture

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Get blue painter's tape and mask over the pick ups, buff the fret board with 0000 steel wool, wipe that clean and then buff with lemon oil and a clean rag.

Awesome I'll give this a try. I've also read 600 grit sand paper any advice on that? 

• You want to use the finest grade available.  

Gibson used to have an article on their web site called Smooth Fretting and as I recall it was the finest grade of steel wool for the fret board followed by a fine grade of sand paper on a sanding block for wear marks on the frets followed by a super fine grade of sand paper on the sanding block followed by metal polishing compound on a cloth on the sanding block followed by buffing the fret board with lemon oil.

Your frets will be in new shape so I'd just spend a little time with the finest steel wool you can get on the fret board and then buff it clean with lemon oil.

Just be careful doing it and if it doesn't work out out to your satisfaction return it.  They made more than one.

30 minutes ago, Dusty Myles said:

Awesome I'll give this a try. I've also read 600 grit sand paper any advice on that? 

I'd use the steel wood Dusty,   we'd want to be mindful about the frets since you'll be sanding down the length of the neck, cutting across the frets.  Steel wool is fine. In fact, if you tape off the fret board between the frets with the blue tape,  the steel wool will do a great job polishing the frets.   something I like to do like once a year.

I agree with Steve on the oil thing.. 

be a great time to hydrate the rosewood too with some fret board conditioner.  I like F1 oil from Nomad,  Guitar honey from Gerlitz is good stuff too.  There are many products, and some people use all kinds of natural oils and such..     if you are so inclined.. there's a lot to look up on for caring for necks, fretboards, etc.

Edited by kidblast

Maybe something like linseed oil helps too after you clean the board real good.  Don't want to wipe garbage into the board...  That Nomad oil @kidblast suggested is what I actually use and can vouch for it.  Wipe on, wipe off.  Don't marinate the wood.  That's what I've been taught and had great results FWIW.  Again, everyone uses different stuff that works as well too. 

2 hours ago, Dusty Myles said:

I meant sliding as in sliding up or down the neck when playing. 

No the frets seem fine the board just has a very rough texture

Ah!  I thought you meant bending notes seemed restricted.  I suppose all the suggestions are good ones, but knowing my limitations I'd first consider seeking out a luthier.  And yes, depending on how long it's been between string changes often I'll clean the fretboard with OLD ENGLISH wood cleaner then treat it with their lemon oil.  I suppose it keeps my board from developing the same problem.

Whitefang

Personally I would suggest changing your left hand technique so your fingers are not dragging on the wood of the fretboard. I think realistically you will sortof not be able to do a great job on the fretboard and likely damage the frets. 

Not sure how much the people here are thinking or what their standards for workmanship are but... Getting a piece of sandpaper or steel wool right up to the fret and then sanding the board with the grain (without damaging frets) would be tough for a skilled worker. It would make a lot more sense to suggest scraping with a razor. That way you can actually control what you’re doing and not ruin the fretwork. However you can still easily damage the fretboard this way. Better to improve your fret hand technique or return the guitar

Agree w/ DubT,   You said 'very rough with tool marks' and  that it is impeding your playing.  If it's not too late - return it.  

0000 steel wool will do nothing other than remove the 0000 roughage.  Tool marks -  if you try sanding those away, you'll be removing a lot of wood and messing with the frets and fret markers.  You may invalidate your warranty.   We've had folks post photos where they described a flaw - and the photos were magnified to 5x.  So,  'every thing is relative.'    It sounds like your issue is bigger though, and if you're right - the very rough fretboard skipped a 'final sanding' station but made it to the 'glue onto neck' station where they should have sent it back.  And then sailed through the  'apply fret wire' station  and the 'apply fret marker' station -  not to mention Final QC.  So it would seem like more than one ball was dropped.    

On The Other Hand -  very light polishing with 0000 steel wool (projecting the pickups from steel debris) and hydrating  (I use coconut oil)  may get you to a happy place if the fretboard isn't is only 'rough' and not 'horrible' , and is dried out.   G'Luck.