Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap but real gibson hummingbird

Bigrig

Maybe by today's pricing "standards".   Kinda makes me amused when I think the first time I laid eyes and hands on a Hummingbird, at Grinnell Brothers in '67, I coulda had it for $500!

Of course, back then to me, that was the equivalent of $5000.   [wink]

But a good lookin' find there Rob.  Good on ya!

Whitefang

Yes it plays fantastic, only issue is a little cosmetic damage. Original owner tried a DIY fix on the loose pickguard with super glue.. some on the body but I’m taking it to my Gibson repair guy soon. Does play and look amazing still 

Edited by Bigrig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bigrig said:

Yes it plays fantastic, only issue is a little cosmetic damage. Original owner tried a DIY fix on the loose pickguard with super glue.. some on the body but I’m taking it to my Gibson repair guy soon. Does play and look amazing still 

Fantastic!   Post photos when it's done...and post some videos of you playing it!    As I've said here dozens of times, I'm not big on the red 'Birds, or even the Doves.... I LOVE the 'Honey-Burst like this one is....(my 'Bird 12-String is that same burst color).

37 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Maybe by today's pricing "standards".   Kinda makes me amused when I think the first time I laid eyes and hands on a Hummingbird, at Grinnell Brothers in '67, I coulda had it for $500!

Of course, back then to me, that was the equivalent of $5000.   [wink]

But a good lookin' find there Rob.  Good on ya!

Whitefang

WF.... I'm sure I've told this story before...but I worked in a music store....from '65 thru '67.   We got a Hummingbird in.  I don't remember the price...but I played it often...and lusted over it....and could have gotten it for the store cost.... but I had no money then.   But...even a BIGGER regret is that we took in an old Gibson Gold Top....not in great shape....the manager put it in the broom closet.... one of my jobs was to mop up every night.   I saw it in the closet...and asked him about it.   He said he paid $13 as a trade-in and I could buy it from him for $13.    Well, I said I'd pay him when I got my check.   I got my check.....got $13 and took it to him...he said he didn't know I was that interested in it, so he sold it to a guitar teacher there for $13!

• Haha 1

Why do people use Super Glue on Guitars???? Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!! That drives me crazy!!! 

One of the advantages of Hide Glue is when it comes to Repairs & Restorations.. It holds Guitars together extremely well.. But if a Repair is needed it can be heated & removed making the repair much easier to perform. The Hide Glue can even be reused if you want to keep it historically correct....

Thanks for the support everyone definitely the biggest guitar purchase I’ve ever made. Still for the price it is “cheap” for this specific guitar. Did originally want the cherry burst but the honey burst fits this guitar perfect. Will post more pics and maybe a video soon once it’s restored 

Congrats!  Once in a lifetime find at that price.  I'm guessing the previous owner didn't know the value of the guitar - used  Stupid Glue and sole it for cheap.  Cherry bursts don't sound much different than honey bursts.  Tobacco Bursts....!?"?   Aaaaah !   Much better than either ! . 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Congrats!  Once in a lifetime find at that price.  I'm guessing the previous owner didn't know the value of the guitar - used  Stupid Glue and sole it for cheap.  Cherry bursts don't sound much different than honey bursts.  Tobacco Bursts....!?"?   Aaaaah !   Much better than either ! . 

:rolleyes:

Y'know, since the Hummingbird I fell in love with in that store in '67 was cherry burst, I feel the only 'Bird I'd accept would have to be cherry burst.  But sure, I know there's no difference in the sound.  Just as  there's no real difference from a white Cadillac and a bronze metallic.   And......

If I could find a well priced Hummingbird 12 I'd sell or put my Washburn 12 in the attic.  [wink]

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

44 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:
May be an image of guitar and indoor
May be an image of guitar and indoor

FYP.... I LOVE my Tobacco-Burst Dove and I LOVE my Honey-Burst 'Bird.

NICE !!   Dove needs a Drool Guard !!         ( Specifically, my H'Bird TV isn't just 'tobacco burst'.   It's "Camel Un-filtered Burst'   !!  )

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

If I could find a well priced Hummingbird 12 I'd sell or put my Washburn 12 in the attic.  [wink]

Whitefang

Ya know...I got my 'Bird 12 from Leslie.....I think she sold it because it wasn't "perfect", (the headstock got broken in the big Napa earthquake).   She had it repaired by the Gibson Custom Shop, and it's tough to even find the break.... it plays like a dream....I've made over 100 videos with it.

Are you SURE that it is real?   The MIC varieties are out there and decent guitars ... Their latest trick to get the fakes thru Customs inspectors is to have stickers over the headstock face with a different maker name that is then removed by the end user to reveal the nice headstock with the Gibson-inlay logo.

Relic-Cherry-Red-Hummingbird-Acoustic-Gu

1 hour ago, 01GT eibach said:

Are you SURE that it is real?   The MIC varieties are out there and decent guitars ... Their latest trick to get the fakes thru Customs inspectors is to have stickers over the headstock face with a different maker name that is then removed by the end user to reveal the nice headstock with the Gibson-inlay logo.

Relic-Cherry-Red-Hummingbird-Acoustic-Gu

This one LOOKS fake to me.

22 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

This one LOOKS fake to me.

I could pick out a MIC Les Paul immediately, because I know what to look for.  But I am not that familiar at all with real Gibson acoustics, so I would have no idea what to look for in a fake Dove/Hummingbird/other besides any obvious "problems".  Just curious ... is there anything in particular in that pic that jumps out at you for you to say that?  

Just now, 01GT eibach said:

I could pick out a MIC Les Paul immediately, because I know what to look for.  But I am not that familiar at all with real Gibson acoustics, so I would have no idea what to look for in a fake Dove/Hummingbird/other besides any obvious "problems".  Just curious ... is there anything in particular in that pic that jumps out at you for you to say that?  

Pickguard looks cheap...no wings on the hummingbird fer cryin' out loud!   Fret markers have no 'luster' like real MOP.   I'm sure there are MUCH better experts in here than me.   I gave  my son a Epiphone Hummingbird for Christmas one year.... other than the headstock, this one looks similar.

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Pickguard looks cheap...no wings on the hummingbird fer cryin' out loud!   Fret markers have no 'luster' like real MOP.   I'm sure there are MUCH better experts in here than me.   I gave  my son a Epiphone Hummingbird for Christmas one year.... other than the headstock, this one looks similar.

Well, actually there are red wings on the hummingbird in the picture, along with the red flower petals.  Additionally, it is interesting that the only thing you pick out is "luster" which is likely more an issue with the photograph more than anything.  Hmmm.  Just an observation ...

Edited by 01GT eibach

3 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Well, actually there are red wings on the hummingbird in the picture, along with the red flower petals.  Additionally, it is interesting that the only thing you pick out is "luster" which is likely more an issue with the photograph more than anything.  Hmmm.  Just an observation ...

You might be right...I'm no expert.....I've not seen a Hummingbird with a scallop at the end of the fretboard.... on the Doves and J-200's...but I've never noticed them on a 'Bird.

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

You might be right...I'm no expert.....I've not seen a Hummingbird with a scallop at the end of the fretboard.... on the Doves and J-200's...but I've never noticed them on a 'Bird.

My brother, I am no expert either.  Believe me.  Yes, as you astutely stated, the scallop on the bottom of the neck is wrong.  And you may be totally right about the luster thing, too, as a real Hummingbird will have real MoP fret markers.  Also, just looking into it a small bit more, some common things the MIC's versions get wrong are the interior label is not centered or level (see pic below), triple binding not right, missing vertical "light wood" interior bracing (see pic), and incorrect colors and slight mistakes in pickguard graphic (an example of that was in the previously posted MIC pic), etc., etc.

To be very clear ... with all of this talk of fake stuff, I want to be clear that I am in no way insinuating or asserting that the OP's guitar is fake.  It is just that there are lots of fake Hummingbirds out there especially from that 2007 era, and I, speaking only for myself now, would be very suspicious of such an under-valued guitar.  

This pic is from a real 2007 Hummingbird where you can see the perfect placement of the label and the light-wood vertical bracing:

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

My brother, I am no expert either.  Believe me.  Yes, as you astutely stated, the scallop on the bottom of the neck is wrong.  And you may be totally right about the luster thing, too, as a real Hummingbird will have real MoP fret markers.  Also, just looking into it a small bit more, some common things the MIC's versions get wrong are the interior label is not centered or level (see pic below), triple binding not right, missing vertical "light wood" interior bracing (see pic), and incorrect colors and slight mistakes in pickguard graphic (an example of that was in the previously posted MIC pic), etc., etc.

To be very clear ... with all of this talk of fake stuff, I want to be clear that I am in no way insinuating or asserting that the OP's guitar is fake.  It is just that there are lots of fake Hummingbirds out there especially from that 2007 era, and I, speaking only for myself now, would be very suspicious of such an under-valued guitar.  

This pic is from a real 2007 Hummingbird where you can see the perfect placement of the label and the light-wood vertical bracing:

s-l1600.jpg

The fakes are getting go 'good' it's scary!