Gibson Brands Forums

Neil and Paul

efj2008

5 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

That's sad. Every time McCartney opens his mouth it says, "Oh, Yeah." Retirement should be mandatory.

I saw Paul in 2015 and he was really good, but his voice is not what it once was.

I'm sure The Stones will tour about 10 more times before I pass away.

Love Neil (even with his shaky voice and sloppy guitar playing), but I was never a big fan of the Beatles to be honest. I do occasionally enjoy Abbey Road and Rubber Soul from time to time though.

A Day in the Life is a classic, except for the jolly middle section. 

Edited by cody78

My Mom taught me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. 

But she's dead, and I have to say it.  I hate Neil Young.  Hate his guitar tone, hate his voice, the way he looks - I mean greasy stringy hair and grubby jeans are such an awful look.

I know there are people that love him and to them I apologize - everyone is entitled to their own tastes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

My Mom taught me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. 

But she's dead, and I have to say it.  I hate Neil Young.  Hate his guitar tone, hate his voice, the way he looks - I mean greasy stringy hair and grubby jeans are such an awful look.

I know there are people that love him and to them I apologize - everyone is entitled to their own tastes.

I've been a fan of Neil's music since I was 16 or so (around 21 years now), but your post made me laugh a lot. Brilliant! 

The only thing I do take offense to is that I have often had greasy stringy hair and grubby jeans. There really is no need for such a personal attack 😉 😄

Edited by cody78

4 minutes ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Come on... He looks like he just crawled out of a refrigerator carton in downtown L.A.

A man needs a maid.

Haha! Well, that might well be so...

I once saw a thread where someone went off on Neil calling him a big greasy 70's hippie. It reminded me of when I was in school and a friend of mine got called a 'mosher ginger w**ker', to which he replied 'yeah, I like mosher music, I have ginger hair and I like to w**k a lot, what's your point?!' 

• Haha 1

Very nice! I've never seen Slash play this before and he did a good job. I think almost as many people who dislike Neil dislike Slash too. Waiting for the Slash trashing comments next! I think Slash, the Eagles (and Neil) were/ are all great. Guns N' Roses were the band that got me into music back in the early 90's, so I will always have a huge amount of respect for Slash's playing...just listen to the solos in Perfect Crime or Locomotive.  

As for Neil ...  I am not really a fan either, but he has written "some" good songs.  I think his voice from the early days was so soft and angelic.  But his soloing on electric?  He has always played like a 16-year-old kid that learned how to solo a month before ... just not good.

As for Slash, he is a tremendous guitar player and songwriter ... He has done lots of other side projects that are way different than the stuff he is known for, and has done them well.  What I like most about Slash is that he genuinely comes off as a dude that really likes playing guitar.