Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups for blues? Everything?

Bangbang

I have an Epiphone G400 sg and am thinking about using it for a mod project. I play blues but was wondering about pickups that would be good for most everything. I am puttin Everthing Axe Pickups(seymour duncans) in my strat soon. What does Gibson have in that category?

BurstBuckers and BB Pros all the way! This is from Wikipedia:

Gibson "'57 Classic" Gibson's most regular take on the P.A.F. Not scatter wound, wax potted. Since the mid-'80's this is the standard pickup on most higher level guitars.

Gibson Burstbucker. Gibson's newest take on the P.A.F. Scatter wound, not wax potted, these are the closest replicas Gibson makes. These pickups come stock on the Historic line of Reissue Les Pauls.

BurstBuckers and BB Pros all the way! This is from Wikipedia:

Gibson "'57 Classic" Gibson's most regular take on the P.A.F. Not scatter wound' date=' wax potted. Since the mid-'80's this is the standard pickup on most higher level guitars.

Gibson Burstbucker. Gibson's newest take on the P.A.F. Scatter wound, not wax potted, [b']these are the closest replicas Gibson makes[/b]. These pickups come stock on the Historic line of Reissue Les Pauls.

quoting wikipedia is never a good idea eusa_snooty.gif

i personally like the BB Pros. but the 57 Classics seem to be universally well-liked.

FennRx, don't shake your head at me :-k

The man wanted some recommendations, everybody else pretty much said 57s, and I said BBs. I know 57s have a huge following, but don't count BBs out. Actually, I just had a conversation today with a luthier and he too said BBs are the closest Gibson replica pick up to the original PAFs. It's all a matter of preference, there's no right or wrong answer.

Nothing wrong with quoting a website...

Have a look here:

output chart

This shows you the various outputs of the p/u Gibson makes... I've always stuck in the 490 / 57' range' date=' it the best of all worlds...[/quote']

That chart is good info' to ponder. Seems that The BB pros and the Classic 57's/ 57 plus have the same output. I have never heard them side by side, so I wonder how much of a difference there is? How do they compare?

That chart is good info' to ponder. Seems that The BB pros and the Classic 57's/ 57 plus have the same output. I have never heard them side by side' date=' so I wonder how much of a difference there is? How do they compare?[/color']

my les paul studio has 57 classics

my les paul standard has BB (for now)

the BBs have a smoother more compressed kinda sound, but the 57 classics have more of a crisp, defined sound

i dont like BBs, i like 57 classics

but then again, i like dimarzios the best:d/

my les paul studio has 57 classics

my les paul standard has BB (for now)

the BBs have a smoother more compressed kinda sound' date=' but the 57 classics have more of a crisp, defined sound

i dont like BBs, i like 57 classics

but then again, i like dimarzios the best:d/ [/quote']

I have Dimarzios in my Epi Les Paul (Fred and a PAF Joe) and it sounds superb. I'd really like a pickup with a chrome cover. I thought about S.D. JB/Jazz, but I have not run across anyone with that combo yet. That combo is the standard in LP's of course, seems like it would work good in an SG.:-k

I have Dimarzios in my Epi Les Paul (Fred and a PAF Joe) and it sounds superb. I'd really like a pickup with a chrome cover. I thought about S.D. JB/Jazz' date=' but I have not run across anyone with that combo yet. That combo is the standard in LP's of course, seems like it would work good in an SG.:-k [/quote']

I think a JB would be a tad too bright in a SG, but that's just my 2 pesos...................

Thanks' date=' its not a VJ though, its a Harley Benton GA5H. Same amp half the price, and its got a tone knob. =;/ [/quote']

Wow, I stand corrected AND impressed. I thought you had modded a VJ. I have a Vj and I just got Blackheart combo. It is the same as the VJ, but with bass, mid and treble plus a 3/5 watt selector. I have MORE knobs than you!! =D> Ha Ha

www.blackhearteng.com if you care to check it out

Wow' date=' I stand corrected AND impressed. I thought you had modded a VJ. I have a Vj and I just got Blackheart combo. It is the same as the VJ, but with bass, mid and treble plus a 3/5 watt selector. I have MORE knobs than you!! :D Ha Ha

www.blackhearteng.com if you care to check it out[/color']

That maybe, but my knob is bigger!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5h_bundle.htm

Archived