Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on Gibson Custom Shop J-185 True Vintage Red Spruce (2015)?

stevendv

I've had and enjoyed playing my Gibson Custom Shop J-45 Granadillo (2016, with the rosewood fingerboard & ebony headstock instead of the granadillo board and headstock of 2015) since I bought it new 4 years ago. But there's the possibility of what would be a straight up trade for a 2015 Gibson Custom Shop J-185 True Vintage Red Spruce that's got me intrigued--at least intrigued enough to think about making the train trip to try it out (I've lived in Italy for over a decade but will be moving back to North America in July).

The maple back and sides and Red Spruce would be a big change from the sitka and granadillo of my J-45, to say nothing of the body shape and its effects. I strum, fingerpick and flatpick--things like the Stones's "Love in Vain" and "Sweet Virginia," REM's "Don't Go Back to Rockville," Dylan, etc, and fingerpick things like Townes Van Zandt's version of "Dead Flowers," Beck's "Lost Cause," Dylan's "Don't Think Twice," plus some Italian songs by Fabrizio de Andre, etc.

I look (and listen to) my J-45 and tell myself I've got all this stuff covered with this guitar and more.  Then think about the different qualities of the J-185 and wonder if maybe it's worth a try.

Those of you who have experience with the J-185 True Vintage Red Spruce have any thoughts on this? Any would be appreciated.

I also think that when I do return to North America this summer if the J-185 True Vintage Red Spruce doesn't turn out to work for me I could probably sell it for more than I could sell my J-45 Granadillo for. Does this seems true to you as well? (Reverb prices searches on this question have resulted in some extremely dubious results. Based upon them you'd think it wasn't much trouble to find a mint Guild F-512 for around $2,500 which I know is not the case.)

Edited by stevendv

Not the exact comparison by any means but i had a Sitka/Koa J185. First, one of the most comfortable guitars to play a you will ever pickup.  That body shape is great. Mine did not have the volume or bass that my J45’s have but did have a wonderful, refined sound.  Seems to fit with what you described as your playing style.  I have two guitars with red spruce tops and red spruce does add another dimension of volume and complexity to the sound so that could be real interesting.  If you do get the opportunity to try it I would love to hear what you think.  Of course everyone needs to have at least one J45 and a complimentary guitar😊!  Best of luck with your decision.

I have a 2012 J-185, as well as a 2015 J-50 and a 2002 J-45 Rosewood.  Very different animals, but because the J-185 is rather rare compared to Gibson roundshouler models, imho, it would be worth the time & effort to try out that J-185 while you have the opportunity.  If nothing else, you’ll be expanding you future frame of reference with an actual in-hand example.

Edited by bobouz

11 hours ago, stevendv said:

. . .  Then think about the different qualities of the J-185 and wonder if maybe it's worth a try.

Yes, you most likely have all of this stuff covered with your J-45 Granadillo- the Gibson sound is in it's bloodlines, and the rest can be made up with little tweaks and technique. . .

8 hours ago, J185cat said:

Of course everyone needs to have at least one J45 and a complimentary guitar😊!  

. . . . . . but this is true, as well. And why not if you can swing it, at least for a while. You'd never know or appreciate the difference otherwise.

It's helpful that you'd mentioned the kind of music you play. The sound I was searching for was bass note clarity. A lot of guitars came and went (mostly) to get to the J-185. Even the big daddy J-200 couldn't match a J-185 in that respect. .  . the "mini" jumbo shape, it's maple construction, and scale length are all part of that recipe. The maple already gives the guitar enough "report" that I think a red spruce top might be redundant. If anything, you'd want to soften the sound, maybe with some tight-grained sitka.  But if the red spruce is the fish on the line, that's fine, too.

If you're up for that train ride, and it's looking to be an even trade, you'd be taking your J-45, so you could try the two guitars at the same sitting. The tight waist on the '185 not only helps with it's focused sound, but hopefully you'll notice it's comfort, too. Let us know what you hear from them.

Edited by 62burst

I have a J-185 New Vintage which is basically a true vintage with a gloss finish. Mine is Sitka spruce over maple. Anyway it's my favorite guitar, it just does everything well and is so comfortable to hold and play. 

Thanks very much for your replies: at least of couple people mention the comfort of the J-185's body shape and that too is a big reason I'm interested in and really look forward to trying it out.

And the bass note clarity, and the recognizably Gibson-esque sound but with additional elements of precision, and the distinct characteristics of maple, all those things you guys mentioned...

I love Lucinda Williams's cover of "Return of the Grievous Angel," and like to do my own much inferior version of it, and always associate it (like certain other songs) with a J-45, but those songs can all be changed a bit, and it would be interesting to see what comes of doing it. And it's just for my own and my wife's entertainment anyway, it's not like there are gigs on the line here.

Thanks again for your replies. Someone contacted me about a trade of my J-45 for a 2103 Martin D-42 with me making up the difference in value we agree upon with cash. D-42s are beautiful guitars, but they are dreadnought beasts which, among other things, would defeat the whole purpose of moving from a slope dread to the J-185 form.

As long as the 185 is in good condition, I don’t ser how you could loose on a straight trade. You get to play it for a while, and should you not like it, I bet you can trade it for a great J-45, plus some cash in your hand, back in the U.S. Go for it!!

Lars

I love Maple instruments-most of my guitars are Maple. A J185 is a fine all-rounder, sophisticated and balanced but still raw and soulful in the way that a good Gibson always is. 

I had a J180 for some time and loved it. Wish I still had that guitar. I very much doubt that you would be disappointed with a 185. Let us know how you get on!

I think the 185 would be a good trade if it plays well and checks out.  The maple body, which in my experience has a little snappier tone than mahogany, paired with the red spruce top should be an excellent sounding guitar.  The last thing I need is another guitar, but having several rosewood bodies, and one mahogany I have been thinking about a maple and the 185 seems like a great candidate with it's rosewood board and short scale.  I'd love to have the opportunity to play one with a red spruce top.  So I say - take that train trip and at least give it a try! 

Thanks for all the remarks and observations about your own experiences with the J-185, they do help to establish a context to think about the guitar, and sorry to be silent for so long, but I still haven't had a chance to play the J-185 in question (or any other one).

The trade option fell through when the J-185's owner realized, understandably enough, that to trade any of the 3 nice guitars he was trying to sell would defeat his original aim of having 3 less guitars, rather than only 2 less and one different one.

As long as it was a trade, he was willing to meet 1/2 way between where we live, but once he decided he was going to stick with his original idea of getting rid of those 3 guitars my 2.5 non-stop train ride became more than a 5 hour one, with train changes thrown in. 

And in the middle of preparing for an overseas move this 11 or 12 hour round-trip didn't seem like something I had time for, or something I should even be thinking about at this point.

So I'm trying to put the J-185 out of my mind until I can actually, really, practically look into it--when we get to North America. And in the meantime I'm still happy with my granadillo J-45, so it's not exactly a hardship.

I'm intrigued by maple, having had no experience with it, only what I've read about (and clips I've listened to of) the J-185, the J-200...

But has anyone tried one of the Custom Shop J-45 maple b/s guitars (I saw one listed in a wine red color)?

Granadillo is as far from the typical J-45 specs as I'd like to go myself, but I was wondering if anyone had tried one.

Thanks again for your remarks.

Edited by stevendv