Gibson Brands Forums

Help from my American brothers and Sisters

Andrew Swann

Hi everyone,

I live in the U.K. and therefore can’t buy any of the Exclusive Collection range. As a loyal customer I’d love to buy more Gibson guitars but none of the U.K. retailers can sell me them nor can retailers in the US so do any of you Know how I go about buying one of the Exclusive Collection Guitars?  Thank you my American Gibson friends...

You can't make a thing like a guitar to a price point and then sell it globally, because price point means something different to areas that may even be close together.  They have it sorted, it just happens to be a guitar you can't get over there for a variety of good(to and for Gibson) reasons.  You might convince someone to buy you one and send it to you but well, good luck with that route.

rct

Thanks RCT, I think my issue with Gibson is that theres a disconnect between global marketing and delivery not their ability to deliver to a price point; for example I’ve recently bought a Standard 60s LP in the U.K., but the global offer is limited in comparison to the US. Gibson marketing offers and advertises products to people outside of the US but with no Avenue to actually buy them. So I guess my issue is that there’s a disconnect between brand marketing and advertising, focussed on domestic delivery with limited communication. 

It comes down to the cost of shipping, then. 

I could purchase any guitar that you want, Andrew Swann, and then ship it to you via FedEx to where you reside in the U.K.

But would the cost of that very shipping make then entire deal cost-prohibitive?
And are there import/export taxes that we would be bypassing in the course of the transaction?

(Please tell me that's the case, because it just might motivate me to do it anyway.)

😃

As sparquelito has said, the import tax , if you bought from the U.S would be prohibitive, I know because I've imported thing from there.  The Post office or carrier will hold your guitar to ransom until you pay them the tax.  In short, don't do it, it will work out a very expensive guitar.  

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

As sparquelito has said, the import tax , if you bought from the U.S would be prohibitive, I know because I've imported thing from there.  The Post office or carrier will hold your guitar to ransom until you pay them the tax.  In short, don't do it, it will work out a very expensive guitar.  

I concur with this. I have had this occur many times ordering stuff from StewMac & other US vendors. One US company has even stopped shipping to the uk altogether (Walker & Williams) because of these impediments. Yes, they will ship anywhere in the world except the uk

I will only import expensive stuff now if I really want it. That's your choice Andrew. How much do you want it?

BTW That's a kind gesture from Sparquelito there. 

There will always be pros & cons dealing overseas. Being in the uk I could not get a replacement pickup from Rickenbacker (pickup failed and stubbornly refused to be mended) even though it occurred shortly after buying. That was around £130 to replace myself. 

14 hours ago, Andrew Swann said:

Thanks RCT, I think my issue with Gibson is that theres a disconnect between global marketing and delivery not their ability to deliver to a price point; for example I’ve recently bought a Standard 60s LP in the U.K., but the global offer is limited in comparison to the US. Gibson marketing offers and advertises products to people outside of the US but with no Avenue to actually buy them. So I guess my issue is that there’s a disconnect between brand marketing and advertising, focussed on domestic delivery with limited communication. 

Well then that is just plain stupid.   I had no idea they actually advertised ungettable stuff at you.  I wouldn't buy anything from them after the first time that happened to me.

rct

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 10:46 PM, sparquelito said:

It comes down to the cost of shipping, then. 

I could purchase any guitar that you want, Andrew Swann, and then ship it to you via FedEx to where you reside in the U.K.

But would the cost of that very shipping make then entire deal cost-prohibitive?
And are there import/export taxes that we would be bypassing in the course of the transaction?

(Please tell me that's the case, because it just might motivate me to do it anyway.)

😃

Very kind of you to offer, shipping and tax wouldn’t be prohibitive but would add around $570 USD to the cost, which is about 30% of the list price. I’ve also just ordered and received a Ltd Edition SG in olive drab but due to terrible QC issues rejected it. I thought Gibson had got over this issue but apparently not…