Gibson Brands Forums

SG with sideways Vibrola

swampash

I got a Gibson SG 61 Reissue with the sideways vibrola for my 50th birthday back in March.

I love this guitar. The only issue is the tuning stability when I use the sideways vibrola. It instantly goes out of tune. It even goes out of tune when I unfold the arm out to use it. It looks like the unit never returns to its original position when I use it. Now, I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. It was only around for a couple of years in the early sixties because it wasn’t very good and was replaced by the Maestro Vibrola. I love the idea of the sideways Vibrola and it’s ease of use. There’s got to be a way of making this work and some people have.

If it does get to a point where it’s totally unusable and unfixable, then I’ll either lock the whole thing down or put a Bigbsy on. Any ideas on a fix are most welcome!

did you try to use anything to lube the saddle and the nut slots?

something like big bends nut sauce is what I routinely use on my bigsby and fender trem equiped guitars

it does help.

you can use Vaseline to test the theory of things are hanging up at the nut and saddle too 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/9/2022 at 2:21 PM, Steelyman said:

Can a sideways Vibrola be replaced with a long Lyre-style Vibrola , without leaving any exposed screw holes? I'd like to think it would be a non-invasive mod that would be entirely reversible.

The long Lyre/Maestro is almost impossible to find for right handed players in either chrome or nickel. All I've seen online is gold ones or left handed. I would imagine the Maestro would hide the holes from the sideways unit.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:57 AM, swampash said:

The long Lyre/Maestro is almost impossible to find for right handed players in either chrome or nickel. All I've seen online is gold ones or left handed. I would imagine the Maestro would hide the holes from the sideways unit.

They look really cool but are well known to have tuning issues too. You could sell that one & buy the Gibson SG with Maestro… 

Any tremolo needs to be worked, the strings can't get stuck any where and move freely over the nut and bridge. If you use a nut lube or graphite, place your handover the "nut" while working the trem, you should feel the strings moving freely and a Roller Bridge may help as well.

Also note that tremolo's love new strings and need to be pre-stressed or you will have lots of trouble getting them in a stable tune.

Edited by mihcmac

On 5/11/2022 at 9:43 PM, Larsongs said:

They look really cool but are well known to have tuning issues too. You could sell that one & buy the Gibson SG with Maestro… 

The Gibson SG's with Maestro's start at $2199 & go up to $7199. Several to choose from...

LIke this.... 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SG61VVENH--gibson-sg-standard-61-maestro-vibrola-vintage-cherry

I had a chrome lyre on my 2000 year model ‘61 reissue SG and it did not have much up and down movement at all. Sometimes caught the control knobs as it swung.

Arm tightens with a Phillips head screw. But then you cannot shut the case unless you move the arm towards the tailpiece, away from the strings. So it comes loose again.

Looks cool but junky in operation.