Gibson Brands Forums

Is This Even Possible?

BoSoxBiker

4 minutes ago, bobouz said:

For comparative purposes, I keep returning to Martin’s binding issue because it has been such a frequent problem on USA-made models from, I believe, around 2012 on..... and to date, it still appears to be happening to very recent production examples.

Indeed, every guitar manufacturer will have their build quality issues from time to time.  But Martin’s binding problem & frequent neck resets on recent production instruments translate into ongoing systemic issues of a more serious nature (which imho, have been inadequately addressed by the company).

And it has never happened to any of the 12, I have owned and I have owned ones from 2000 - 2019. EM7 said his was in a hot loft during the summer for a few months. I think any guitar with glued in binding might pop. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I don't mean to withhold information. It's not a Gibson Acoustic, so doesn't belong here in it's entirety, at least. I "know" the folks here..... Anyhow, it's a Gibson ES-335 Figured Maple in 60's Cherry.  1st 5 of the serial # - 21211. The picture is within <5 minutes out of the case, not even played yet. I wasn't expecting it until Tuesday. I was upstairs in my studio when the dogs started barking. Next thing you know I'm signing for a box from Fedex on a Sunday. Sweet! 

Most definitely a keeper. When  exactly the keeping it period starts or is interupted is the only remaining question. The nut is functional, unlike the Dove's.The rest is top-notch.

Why keep it? I've test driven too many that were not tight before totally giving up on finding one. 2 years later, I heard they were getting good again.This one is tight. Best one I've ever played, though I'm no expert and never played an older one.

My salesman told me this afternoon that they sometimes get some lacquer on them and that it would flakes off over time. I can't say that this gives me the happiest feeling, but what do I know is that Gibson will cover it unless I el-kabong someone with it. I'm not worried about it. One way or another it will be all fine and dandy. I've got an Original Series SJ-200 coming to me at some point this year(?) because Gibson covers their products.

This thing does friggin' rock, though. 🙂

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

Hope this makes you feel better. My J-45

DSC02439.JPG

I've had a few Gibson acoustics where the lacquer chipped off the side of the nut.  Even had one where the lacquer came completely off and there was a small "crescent moon" of missing lacquer just under the nut on the wood.

Oh, wow! Before yesterday, I'd never seen or heard of one. Learn something new every day...  Thanks for posting this.

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I don't mean to withhold information. It's not a Gibson Acoustic, so doesn't belong here in it's entirety, at least. I "know" the folks here..... Anyhow, it's a Gibson ES-335 Figured Maple in 60's Cherry.  1st 5 of the serial # - 21211. The picture is within <5 minutes out of the case, not even played yet. I wasn't expecting it until Tuesday. I was upstairs in my studio when the dogs started barking. Next thing you know I'm signing for a box from Fedex on a Sunday. Sweet! 

Most definitely a keeper. When  exactly the keeping it period starts or is interupted is the only remaining question. The nut is functional, unlike the Dove's.The rest is top-notch.

Why keep it? I've test driven too many that were not tight before totally giving up on finding one. 2 years later, I heard they were getting good again.This one is tight. Best one I've ever played, though I'm no expert and never played an older one.

My salesman told me this afternoon that they sometimes get some lacquer on them and that it would flakes off over time. I can't say that this gives me the happiest feeling, but what do I know is that Gibson will cover it unless I el-kabong someone with it. I'm not worried about it. One way or another it will be all fine and dandy. I've got an Original Series SJ-200 coming to me at some point this year(?) because Gibson covers their products.

This thing does friggin' rock, though. 🙂

ES-335's are the best electrics Gibson ever made and still makes. After that I think its the SG's. Every swingin' d-ick drools over Les Paul's. I owned 4 and they were nice but I'd take 335/345/355 and the BB King I owned over any electric Gibson makes. I am not one of the keep it guys, but if the lacquer chips off down the neck it may not affect playability, but will more than likely be an eye sore and piss you off to no end.

Martin A-sshole fan over and out. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I just checked and my Gibsons have nitro on the side of the nuts. It’s especially visible on the guitars with tinted nitro, giving the sides a slightly darker color than the top of the nut. So the guitars must be sprayed with the nut in place, but with the fingerboard and top of the nut masked off. Makes sense. In your case, I guess either it’s a tiny chip or a less than perfect masking job. I would score along the glue edges and scrape it all off, then polish lightly.

Another alternative is to brush on some superglue to cover the full side of the nut. It will blend with the nitro and prevent it from chipping more, if that is what happened. It will polish nicely, but color might not match if the nitro is tinted, which it appears to be.

Lars

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

ES-335's are the best electrics Gibson ever made and still makes. After that I think its the SG's. Every swingin' d-ick drools over Les Paul's. I owned 4 and they were nice but I'd take 335/345/355 and the BB King I owned over any electric Gibson makes. I am not one of the keep it guys, but if the lacquer chips off down the neck it may not affect playability, but will more than likely be an eye sore and piss you off to no end.

Martin A-sshole fan over and out. 

...and they will fix it.

I agree with you on the keep it or don't keep it, generally speaking. I didn't used to, but I've learned my lesson. I just don't mind getting something fixable fixed. I've found it far more difficult finding a good example of an instrument to begin with. Put one that is a player in my hands and I can live with it being gone for a bit, if need be.

3 hours ago, Lars68 said:

I just checked and my Gibsons have nitro on the side of the nuts. It’s especially visible on the guitars with tinted nitro, giving the sides a slightly darker color than the top of the nut. So the guitars must be sprayed with the nut in place, but with the fingerboard and top of the nut masked off. Makes sense. In your case, I guess either it’s a tiny chip or a less than perfect masking job. I would score along the glue edges and scrape it all off, then polish lightly.

Another alternative is to brush on some superglue to cover the full side of the nut. It will blend with the nitro and prevent it from chipping more, if that is what happened. It will polish nicely, but color might not match if the nitro is tinted, which it appears to be.

Lars

Wow! I really had no idea. Sort of baffles the mind.

The note from my salesman was that they normally flake off due to not adhering to bone. If mine was dated 7-8 weeks ago, I wonder - well, yours are still there and your at 5-7 years now.

My "touch" with anything and everything delicate is laughable at best. If I told the BA that a solution for that was me and an exacto knife, she would laugh out loud. Any good DYI'er type should know their limitations. I know mine.

5 hours ago, Lars68 said:

I just checked and my Gibsons have nitro on the side of the nuts.

FWIW, my 2008 J-50 has nitro that is turning yellow on the side of the nut but my 2020 J-50 doesn't seem to have any. 

2 hours ago, Boyd said:

FWIW, my 2008 J-50 has nitro that is turning yellow on the side of the nut but my 2020 J-50 doesn't seem to have any. 

Doesn't have any nitro on the 2020 nut or no yellowing. Those guitars are 12 years apart, so I would suspect the nitro on both to be in two totally different curing states.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The 2008 is quite different, you can tell that the lacquer flowed right over the nut and filled in the joint where it meets the neck. You can run your finger over it and it's a smooth finish across the nut and neck. The 2020 isn't like that, there's just no lacquer at all on the nut, nothing flowed into the joint - the nut was clearly installed after the neck was finished. The nut on the 2008 guitar was obviously installed before the final coat of lacquer. I have no idea if this is representative of other Gibsons, am just reporting what I see on these two specific guitars.

Edited by Boyd

13 minutes ago, Boyd said:

The 2008 is quite different, you can tell that the lacquer flowed right over the nut and filled in the joint where it meets the neck. You can run your finger over it and it's a smooth finish across the nut and neck. The 2020 isn't like that, there's just no lacquer at all on the nut, nothing flowed into the joint - the nut was clearly installed after the neck was finished. The nut on the 2008 guitar was obviously installed before the final coat of lacquer. I have no idea if this is representative of other Gibsons, am just reporting what I see on these two specific guitars.

My 2013 LP is like your 2008, my 2020 SJ-200 (Pre-War RW) is like your 2020. My Hummingbird and Dove have had replacement nuts. My ES-335 breaks the tie.

I have 4 Gibsons at the moment.  The only one with lacquer spayed over the nut is a 2017 Les Paul made in Gibson USA plant in Nashville.  2014 J-29 from Bozeman, 2020 Hummingbird from Bozeman, and 2017 ES 356 from Nashville Custom Shop have no lacquer on the side of the nut.  So from the examples we've seen in this thread there is nothing unusual about a 2021 ES-335 having lacquer on the side of the nut.  What is unusual is that part of it chipped away.  But overall I would say nothing to worry about. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I  guess I fell off the sled at the top of the hill.   I didn't realize this was a brand, spanking new electric Gibson.     I'll take  "Flaky, Cracked Nuts"  for $300, Alex."   

He doesn't do Jeopardy any more.